Help! Video card won't display

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I just replaced the CPU fan and the case fan in my PC to ones with LEDs on them. Before I did this everything was working perfectly, after installation my graphics card won't display anything. Its fans are spinning but nothing is being sent to the output. I've tried re seating it and trying different connections. I'm just using the Intel HD 3000 graphics at the moment. Any ideas as to why my card has stopped working?

check that you plugged the cpu fan back into the cpu fan header. most mb wont post if you dont plug in a cpu fan. also check to see that your video card has all the power plugs it needs...some new one and some need two power plugs..also check that you did not pull out any of the axt power plugs.

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I've got everything plugged in correctly - 2x 6 pins into the 7870, the CPU fan in the right socket. The computer POSTs and boots fine, but the video card doesn't display anything, and it's not detected when I'm in Windows.

You may have to enable the Video Card, and disable the HD 3000 graphics in the BIOS, also setting the type of interface PCI/PCIe if not correctly specified.

If this doesn't work, enable the Video Card and disable or uninstall the HD 3000 in the Device Manager... and reboot the computer so the change takes effect. (My Computer\right click> Manage> Device Manager> Display Adapters> Intel HD 3000>Uninstall)

These settings in the BIOS may have automatically changed if everything was not exactly as before.. (e.g. losened video card, video cable connector lose or moved.

sam_fisher

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010

Just tried all that and it unfortunately didn't fix anything. Thanks though.

1. I missed this step before: Select the Video Card in the Display properties> Settings tab... Select Video Card, Apply and immediately reboot the computer.
Do it in this sequence:
a) Uninstall HD 3000 in Device Manager,
b) Select the Video Card in Display properties
c) Shutdown the computer
d) Move the monitor cable to the Video Card
e) Turn on the computer.. if you still don't have video, move the monitor cable to the HD 3000 video card and check the BIOS settings as suggested previously, and again move the monitor cable to the Video Card.

2. See if the instructions on the yt video help... it basically consists on removing the RAM modules, cleaning the pins & sockets and reinstalling the modules.. I'd suggest you do the same to the Video card pins and socket. Cleaning both card and RAM pins and sockets may make the difference.

PC repair for DUMMIES - No signal to monitor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDS8s2zEmew&feature=related

3. Have you tried reinstalling the video card driver?..