Built my first PC, and have questions

donneil123

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
So yeah, as the title says I built a new PC. I have a few questions to ask. While watching Youtube videos my 6870 is at 50 degrees, while on idle it is at 34 degrees, is that normal? My internet connection is really poor, on skype I have all red bars, and while playing diablo 3 it stutters because it is always connected to the internet, how can I fix this? Lastly there was one front panel connector that I did not know where to plug it. It is just a connector with USB on it, and it has either 4 or 5 pin holes, where do put this?.

jemm

Distinguished
The temps for your card are normal, both in load and idle.

As for the internet speed the only way I see to improve it is to change your ISP plan, or change your ISP.

The front panel connector should be connected to any USB slot in your motherboard, but it is always better to check it with your mobo manual.

donneil123

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

On my laptop I get 21dl 1up on speedtest.net, on my new build I get 6dl and .5 up. I don't think that it is my isp.

donneil123

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Also I understand that scores fluctuate, but I am also having a hard time connecting to skype and diablo so I do not think it is solely a fluctuation problem.

donneil123

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Shaw, it is a Canadian internet company so you probably have never heard of it.

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I've never heard of an ISP having such fluctuations. Granted i'm in NY and not Canada (thank God - JK!). but i doubt its that. maybe a bad LAN? something setup wrong? i can't think of what it could be....

i would exhaust those investigations before going and cancelling your ISP and stuff, no?

Make sure your Ethernet cable is good. Try a different port on your router. If your motherboard has wireless, use one or the other, not both.
It will be hard to suggest anything else without knowing the full specs of your system. Please elaborate.

donneil123

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Asus M59A7 motherboard
8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
Phenom ii 965 black edition at stock, a little nervous too overclock lol
XFX 6870
Coolermaster 212+
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb, 7200rpm
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD drive
Corsair cx600 PSU

That is every component in my system, I am using an ethernet cable and have no plan on using wireless any time soon.