Built my first PC, and have questions

So yeah, as the title says I built a new PC. I have a few questions to ask. While watching Youtube videos my 6870 is at 50 degrees, while on idle it is at 34 degrees, is that normal? My internet connection is really poor, on skype I have all red bars, and while playing diablo 3 it stutters because it is always connected to the internet, how can I fix this? Lastly there was one front panel connector that I did not know where to plug it. It is just a connector with USB on it, and it has either 4 or 5 pin holes, where do put this?.
11 answers Last reply
More about built questions
  1. The temps for your card are normal, both in load and idle.

    As for the internet speed the only way I see to improve it is to change your ISP plan, or change your ISP.

    The front panel connector should be connected to any USB slot in your motherboard, but it is always better to check it with your mobo manual.
  2. jemm said:
    The temps for your card are normal, both in load and idle.

    As for the internet speed the only way I see to improve it is to change your ISP plan, or change your ISP.

    The front panel connector should be connected to any USB slot in your motherboard, but it is always better to check it with your mobo manual.

    On my laptop I get 21dl 1up on speedtest.net, on my new build I get 6dl and .5 up. I don't think that it is my isp.
  3. do you not have gigabit lan on your new pc?

    also, scores can fluctuate alot on speedtest.net
  4. TheBigTroll said:
    do you not have gigabit lan on your new pc?

    also, scores can fluctuate alot on speedtest.net

    Yes I do have gigabit lan.
  5. TheBigTroll said:
    do you not have gigabit lan on your new pc?

    also, scores can fluctuate alot on speedtest.net

    Also I understand that scores fluctuate, but I am also having a hard time connecting to skype and diablo so I do not think it is solely a fluctuation problem.
  6. who do you get internet from? most non-major brands have extreme fluctations
  7. TheBigTroll said:
    who do you get internet from? most non-major brands have extreme fluctations

    Shaw, it is a Canadian internet company so you probably have never heard of it.
  8. i live in canada....

    shaw is pretty reliable. if shaw isnt good enough, id get bell or teksavvy if you have it at your area
  9. I've never heard of an ISP having such fluctuations. Granted i'm in NY and not Canada (thank God - JK!). but i doubt its that. maybe a bad LAN? something setup wrong? i can't think of what it could be....

    i would exhaust those investigations before going and cancelling your ISP and stuff, no?
  10. Make sure your Ethernet cable is good. Try a different port on your router. If your motherboard has wireless, use one or the other, not both.
    It will be hard to suggest anything else without knowing the full specs of your system. Please elaborate.
  11. Onus said:
    Make sure your Ethernet cable is good. Try a different port on your router. If your motherboard has wireless, use one or the other, not both.
    It will be hard to suggest anything else without knowing the full specs of your system. Please elaborate.


    Asus M59A7 motherboard
    8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
    Phenom ii 965 black edition at stock, a little nervous too overclock lol
    XFX 6870
    Coolermaster 212+
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb, 7200rpm
    ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD drive
    Corsair cx600 PSU

    That is every component in my system, I am using an ethernet cable and have no plan on using wireless any time soon.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Internet Connection Systems