Custom build 3770-k BSOD----HELP!

psychomatix

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hey guys,

I just built a new PC last Friday. Windows installed fine and the computer was working fine for a few hours (had a few external USB audio card problems but have solved those issues). My keyboard was turning on and off during windows start up and once it got to the windows login page it was usually not working. The usb 3.0 ports have also been very unstable and there where a few BSOD's. On that Friday night the PC went into a start-up repair loop. On Saturday night I re-installed windows 7 and mobo drivers and the usb ports where still unstable including the usb 3.0 ports. On sunday I disabed usb3.0 which did make those ports more stable.
Monday and today (tuesday) I have being experiencing frequent Blue Screens with two different messages:
1. A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. STOP: 0X000000F4
2. Fatal system error.
(1 more common than 2)
Sometimes it's fine and works for an hour or so without the bsod.
Sometimes it just freezes while windows is loading.
But most of the time it blue screens about 1 minute after boot.
It happens even when just google chrome is up.

I installed the windows updates which took forever because it kept on blue screening right when I clicked on "windows update" in the control panel.
well all windows update except 3 which failed under this error code: 8007065E
According to windows all my drivers are up to date.
I have been in safe mode a few times and so far it has not blue screened while in safe mode.
at the moment I only have Google chrome up and the CPU is running at 56 degrees Celsius.

after writing this in a different section and restating my PC it blue screened while windows was loading saying:
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO
and now once again it is stuck in windows start-up repair loop. the technical info was still 0X000000F4.

HARDWARE

CPU:: Intel Core i7 3770K

Motherboard:: ASUS P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard

RAM:: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

Boot drive:: OCZ Vertex 3 60GB SSD

Storage drive:: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

PSU:: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W Power Supply

OS:: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM

Optical disc drive:: Samsung SH-222BB SATA DVDRW Drive OEM

Case:: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced

all up this hardware costed me $1500 in Australia. Planning to buy the graphics card late

So do you guys have any idea on what may be causing these Blue Screens?

any help appreciated I'm screwed without you guys

dane332

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
are you using intel's usb 3.0 driver 1.0.5 driver? from intel?

because i was using 1.0.4 driver just fine noticed their was a newer driver tried updating and then a slew of bsod appeared reinstalled 1.0.4 and have been going steady since.

i've also recently built a computer this week in fact.

psychomatix

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Yeah. Im just re-installing windows now and as soon as It's up I'll make sure to get the ssd firmware, update the bios and get the usb 3.0 1.0.4 drivers.
And I checked the memory with the windows tool in startup. not sure of the exact name but it didn't find any issues.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
While that ram test may show ram as good it could still be causing the machine to run unstable best to test the ram using memtest86 boot cd.
The error you got either you have bad ram or your ram configuration/voltage is wrong.

psychomatix

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
ok so I ran memtest64+ for 1 and a half hours on each stick with 2 passes and 0 errors.
also after re-installing windows the pc still crashes and usually right at login now :(. But not when I'm in safe mode. I'm really confused

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Chances are ram is not bad but may have compatibility problems best to try other ram than brand you are using or your using wrong settings in bios have you tried 1 stick of ram?.
The only other reasons could be thermal check your temps and bad power supply that may be noisey ie bad filtering of ac.

psychomatix

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I have tried booting windows with both ram stick separately and the exact same problem happened. The psu is quite and I think was running at 12.124 if i can remember correctly.

psychomatix

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
update---> I re-installed windows and updated the bios. No blue screens now but at the moment 80% of the time I boot the PC freezes while loading. I can't even get into safe mode now!

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Best to check if your hard drive is ok by downloading seatools for dos burning on cd and testing the hard drive.

SeaTools
Chances are when you updated your bios it fixed compatibility with that ram to run more stable, try removing partition and reload windows from scratch and see if problems are gone if your hard drive tests ok.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Ok best thing to do disconnect the sdd for now, use the hard drive install windows on it and see if your system runs fine.
After a few days if it runs stable connect the ssd and make sure that firmware on it is newest then format the ssd and download newest version of Intel Smart Response.

follow this guide and you will see ssd speeds without worrying about filling it up.

How to Set Up Intel Smart Response SSD Caching Technology

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
One thing you can try is to clear cmos and try again or looks like your motherboard does not run stable with that ram if you have another brand of ram you could try like kingston.
I have seen this problem many times before has to do with ram compatibility i find kingston always works on those boards.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
There is a difference between compatible ram and bad ram , ram that is not compatible will test good but run unstable.
Bad ram runs unstable but tests bad have you tried clearing your bios and making sure that your bios ram settings are set to spec?.