Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hard drive stops responding, hangs, freezes?

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2012 3:44:14 PM

i've got a really annoying problem, which i would like to get feedback on.

symptoms:
system installs and boots fine, everything is fine, except i get these random hangs.. no matter what i've been doing, even if no programs are running, my hdd led shows no activity, hdd does nothing, and though the system doesn't actually freeze up, i can do whatever i want, as long as that particular action doesn't require hdd activity. i can move the cursor, type, bring up start menu, even work with open applications: right until it wants to read or write from/to the hdd. then i get the busy cursor, and the waiting begins.. the time the system recovers all by itself vary from around 2 minutes to several minutes, after that, like nothing happened, everything works fine for some time.. until the next random occasion, when it starts all over again. My PC also restarts on some occasions after such freezing of hard drive.

I've done a disk check, no problems or bad sectors were detected during this time. I've also done memtest86+ and nothing was detected here too.

i've also tried swapping the sata cable, that goes from the DVD drive to Motherboard, to my HDD.

Other interesting thing that I noticed was when I open my cabinet to do any swapping or reconnecting the HDD, the problem suddenly vanishes for about a week, and later comes back. But it does come back & the reoccurence of the problem increasing day by day.

my system specs are:
cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 955
mobo: Asus M4A88T-M LE
memory: 4 GB ddr3
hdd: WD 1TB 64MB cache
gpu: not present, but integrated on motherboard ATI HD 4250

any suggestions are welcome, i have spent about a month googling, but didn't get much help.

Best solution

November 20, 2012 4:04:02 PM

has this always been a problem, or is this a recent development? anyway, I'd check for a BIOS update, then for a HDD firmware update. what OS are you running?
November 20, 2012 4:24:25 PM

jjhuang42 said:
has this always been a problem, or is this a recent development? anyway, I'd check for a BIOS update, then for a HDD firmware update. what OS are you running?

My pc is about 1.5 years old. The problem just came recently, like a month back. Previous to that everything was working fine without any issues. I'm using windows 7 ultimate.

Can there be any problems with any of the cables like SATA or 4 pin connector?
Score
Related resources
November 20, 2012 4:52:41 PM

Hi :) 

Your hard drive IS failing ...run a hard drive test in DOS... Hirens cd etc...the FULL test (takes several hours)

All the best Brett :) 
Score
November 27, 2012 1:59:38 PM

Best answer selected by 1Mbps.
Score
!