PNY GTX 460 1GB hit 80C!!!

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
My GTX 460 hit 80c while playing Diablo 3 today. I'm wondering why it keeps getting so hot; when I first got the card it was 65c under load, now under load it's normally 75c, but now it's hitting 80c. Why does it keep increasing? What can I do to prevent it from getting hotter? I have a Sentey Arvina Case so there is pretty good air flow and there are two 80mm VGA coolers on the side. I took the case side off and opened my window and it went down to 75c but I don't want it to hit 80c again, should I buy some powerful fans for it? If so, which ones do you recommend?

Thanks!

(Specs Below)

gtx 480s natually do have a high temperature on load. nvidia's cards in general are stronger than their amd counterparts in the cards that are usually x60+ comparing it to the same generation(i.e comparing radeon 7k to gtx 6xx family) and usually consume more watts as well. since the 480 is 2 generations behind the current one, as well as the fact that its the strongest in that family, it would naturally run hot.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

What should I do to keep it cool?

Chirag Borawake

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Actually 80deg is normal, mine goes to 85/86 some times..!
But for precautions, is your case well open for air? How many fans are you using? Its been how much time since you have taken out your Graphics card? If very long, then plz take it out, clean it, and put it back together.
Try keeping your side panel of the case open if you think its too hot.

to the op also use msi afterburner and make a fan profile when you play games. video card makers write there bios and drivers to keep the nfan spinning slowly to keep the noise down. that fine for webbing but the cards can get hot before the fan hit max speed. on my old 210 used to run hot i had to turn the fan up during games to keep it from locking up.

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

yeah I took off the side panel when it got that hot and it cooled down. I have 6 case fans, 1 exhaust, 2 top, 1 on the front, and 2 on side. I took out my graphics card... 3 or 4 months ago. I have never took apart a graphics card before, can you show me a tutorial?

Arlen10

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012

I'm using EVGA Precision, I use a profile, once it hits 65c it goes to 100% speed. It seems after installing the beta drivers that it keeps getting hotter. Maybe I should revert to the standard driver?

You'll also find that a game which allows higher than normal FPS while still at 99% load, will make the card get much harder than 99% load at lower FPS. The process of transferring the buffer to be updated on the monitor seems to cause more heat than most anything else a card does.