Your question
Closed

Cpu upgrade help!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
November 20, 2012 3:59:52 PM

I am looking to upgrade my current gaming system and needed a little help. I have an older gaming rig that is finally starting to slow down and is in need of some upgrades.

I do not have the funds to buy a new rig at the moment so I considered upgrading a few things on my current rig to get a little more life out of it. Keep in mind I purchased this rig 4 years ago so it is a little dated.

My current build is as follow :

Motherboard - MSI k9a2 CF am2+
Cpu - AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core 6000+ 3.02 ghz
Video Card - AMD Radeon 4850 512mb
PSU - Logisys 575w atx12v sli ready
Ram - 4gb
OS - windows vista home basic 32bit

My main question is which CPU would be supported on my current motherboard that has the most bang for the buck. I cannot afford a new mobo at the moment so it has to fit this one. I also would like to swap the gpu out with at least a radeon 7770. I have a budget of about $300 and not a penny more. I am also an AMD kind of guy and dont plan on switching to intel or nvidia any time soon!

Here is a link for the supported cpus for my current mobo. http://www.msi.com/product/mb/K9A2-CF.html#/?div=CPUSup...

More about : cpu upgrade

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 4:19:31 PM

According to the CPU support list you provided, the best CPU that can be supported by your motherboard is the AMD Phenom II X4 965 or the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T. I would suggest that you look get any Phenom II X4 with a clock frequency at 3.0 Ghz or above. That includes the model numbers 945, 955, 965 and 960T.

Here is what's available on Newegg right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

November 20, 2012 4:23:09 PM

You aren't going to get far upgrading the CPU on that old board. You either want to invest $150+ on a video card now, then $200+ on cpu/mobo later? Its up to you but I wouldn't recommend buying a new CPU for that mobo, it would be an inefficient use of funds.
Score
Related resources
November 20, 2012 4:26:20 PM

I was affraid that my current motherboard was so old it didnt support most of the new socket cpus.

I guess the real question is if I upgrade my gpu will the cpu be enough to continue gaming?

As it sits now my rig will play just about any game on the market on medium to high settings.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 5:50:06 PM

You're really not going to get that much of an improvement just by upgrading the CPU. If you are not satisfied with your current gaming experience, upgrading the CPU and Graphics card will improve the performance but if you really want to get the best performance you should consider saving up your money and building a system with new components. Since you claim you are an AMD fanboy, the "Piledriver" series of AMD FX processors is quite good, nearly matching the performance of the i5 processors from Intel. For a good gaming PC, I would recommend saving up about $800-$1000 and then just building a new PC. You could convert the older system to a HTPC or just donate it to a charity that accepts old PC's.

Edit: corrected typo's
Score
November 20, 2012 6:21:20 PM

Best answer selected by hashashin.
Score
!