alexela

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hi guys, here's the basis of my build, and what I can afford at the moment really:

Corsair obsidian 550D chassis
Gigabyte UD3H mobo
i5 3550
Not interested in oc unless at a later stage I got an i7
Some decent corsair 4gb RAM module for now
No graphics card just yet
Want a decent PSU that can run a decent card or two should I buy one, if I want a serious card I'd expect to upgrade PSU.
I will use this setup for running protools, guitar pro and some games hopefully.

Any input would be great, can't seem to make my mind up over what PSU to buy, was thinking something quality around 600 watts. I have bought new monitor a 23 inch LG ips 236v seems alright.

For a PSU, if you buy the current-generation cards (i.e. Radeon HD7xxx or Geforce GTX 6xx) you can get by with a good 600W unit, given you are not planning to CrossFire/SLI. I would consider Corsair the minimum for a good PSU.

8GB of DDR3 RAM is currently approx. $40. I suggest you buy 2x4GB now, and if you ever need more in the future you can buy another 2x4GB to make it 16GB.

alexela

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Okay, my budget for a PSU at this stage is around $100

The total budget is around $900, (excluding graphics card) my priority is to be able to run audio editing programs efficiently, I love games but it's not on my priority list so I want my setup to insure I have the ability to run a decent card when I get one