Sign in with
Your question

New gigabyte gtx 670 - dead?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2012 8:27:40 AM

just slotted in a brand-new gtx 670 after clearing away the old drivers.

on first boot, seemed fine. then the mouse started to 'lock up' making a dragbox, 'lagging' every few seconds. then the comp freezes and display drivers fail.

restarted, this time it froze at the windows 'loading' animated logo thing.

booted into safe mode, everything is perfectly fine.

figured it was the latest nvidia drivers, tried reverting to a previous version off gigabyte's website..

..normal boot, computer frozen again after i made a drag box with the mouse. screen went blank, notification that the nividia drivers stopped responding and 'recovered'.

restarted, made some drag boxes, was fine. started furmark, went for a few seconds, froze, went blank and then 'recovered' again.

i fear my card may be 'dead'- should i try and RMA this asap?

specs in case it helps:

ASRock Z77 extreme4 (bios/mobo updated to latest)
i5-3550k (temps are fine)
8gb ram
gigabyte gtx 670
corsair gs800
windows 7 64-bit

More about : gigabyte gtx 670 dead

a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 17, 2012 8:41:35 AM

Try installing just the display driver without the nvidia tray tool etc, do a driver clean first before reinstalling.
m
l
May 17, 2012 9:05:46 AM

mauller07 said:
Try installing just the display driver without the nvidia tray tool etc, do a driver clean first before reinstalling.

thanks for replying.

just gave it a go - same thing happens. tried with both the new and previous drivers.

swapped out ram, figured that was bad..nope, nothing.

anything 3d makes the drivers fail. can't even get past the '3d' windows loading thing because of this.

so is the card dead? :( 

m
l
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 9:10:08 AM

Try another Slot in your mobo and see if it still does it.
m
l
May 17, 2012 9:38:45 AM

nope, didn't do anything.

ruled out every other component but the graphics card - onboard vga works fine, runs anything 3d. so that just leaves the gtx 670.

any other advice etc. guys? i'm so stressed out over this..!
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 9:55:25 AM

Hit up the gigabyte website and see if there is a bios update for the card.
m
l
May 17, 2012 10:05:28 AM

thanks for the suggestion but there's nothing helpful on there. tried their hosted (older) drivers too and same results......

the comp only has problems when the card is introduced, hence it's gotta be the 670 right?!
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 10:09:07 AM

Yeah its gotta be the card , your psu is awesome so the best thing to do is to try it in another pc , can you hit up a friend to see if you can test it in their pc?

That way you can send it back if its faulty and know its definately the card.
m
l
May 17, 2012 10:28:13 AM

decided to try one last time....did another clean install of the latest drivers, suddenly it works.

i can actually run furmark and some games without instantly failing now?

all i did differently was remove these weird caps on the sli connector thingys and swap the monitor connection from dvi to hdmi, so i'm still paranoid it's a bad card..
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 10:32:37 AM

Hmmm could of just been a driver issue, maybe there was fragments left behind from the old drivers?
I'm glad its working now , try DVI again just to check?
m
l
May 17, 2012 10:35:35 AM

Download & install DriverSweeper
Uninstall all NV features but the driver
Boot in safe mode & uninstall NV driver
Don't restart just yet
Open DriverSweeper
Check any box related to the driver & click clean
Restart & custom install the driver (only the driver) from NV web site

If it still won't work, try clean install your Windows because Windows Update may have updated your graphic with their own version which may cause conflict. Remember to install your graphic driver before Windows Update if you decide to do a clean install.

If it still won't work (shoot me!), time to RMA.
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 10:37:07 AM

I agree those damn Windows updates do cause problems when they overide your latest driver with their version.

I manually go through my Nvidia folders and remove all the old driver folders.
m
l
May 17, 2012 10:48:09 AM

Sonny73N said:
Download & install DriverSweeper
Uninstall all NV features but the driver
Boot in safe mode & uninstall NV driver
Don't restart just yet
Open DriverSweeper
Check any box related to the driver & click clean
Restart & custom install the driver (only the driver) from NV web site

If it still won't work, try clean install your Windows because Windows Update may have updated your graphic with their own version which may cause conflict. Remember to install your graphic driver before Windows Update if you decide to do a clean install.

If it still won't work (shoot me!), time to RMA.

thanks for this, but i actually did those steps every time i was uninstalling etc..

furmark scores came back and it was a terrible 650, on par with a gtx 260 so something is obviously very wrong........

edit: not sure why , restarted and it was back to crashing and freezing. #%@^
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:26:12 PM

took it to the store for an exchange.

they tested it on a similar spec'd system with a fresh install of 64bit windows 7, and....it worked fine. passed benchmark tests without a problem.

so i did the same and everything goes fine until i install the nvidia drivers. then the system freezes at the stupid 3d window squares on the loading screen, which i can get by if i'm lucky with a restart.

getting some of the symptoms from this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307905-33-nvidia-driv...

only in my case i can't even launch anything 3d......

m
l
May 17, 2012 3:36:37 PM

i think you should format your OS.If your card works in there PC then your PC is the culprit.Did you see with your own eyes when they were benchmarking your card?
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:07:18 PM

cooldudesubho said:
i think you should format your OS.If your card works in there PC then your PC is the culprit.Did you see with your own eyes when they were benchmarking your card?

thanks for replying! i'm dying here..

i did, we all sat there and watched it go through just fine.

reluctantly did a full clean wipe just now, only installed factory disc nvidia drivers and...

..i open up nvidia control panel, it freezes, then the screen goes blank, then the monitor power is glowing orange meaning the input's gone somehow? then the screen comes back with a 'nvidia drivers stopped responding and recovered' error thing. tried to do 'adjust image settings preview', comp freezes every few seconds trying to render. very buggy.

thanks for all the help so far guys..if it's not the card, i'm starting to wonder if it's the motherboard or cpu (both brand new also)..worst part is it's very hard to prove to the store guys unless i take the whole rig i guess.
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:23:11 PM

Format your pc.Since your pc is fine without the gpu then cpu is fine.Maybe pci express slot is buggy.If clean format still causes the issue then take pc to shop and let them check anothe gpu in ur pc.
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:27:57 PM

yeah, i did do a format in my post above. everything works fine, onboard vga can run lowest setting games with terrible lag..no 3d rendering problems..

i have another graphics card that i was using before, HD 5850, but that one would do GSODs and have vertical line bugs so i determined it dead, hence why i got this gtx 670.

also just got a completely bright red screen of death, that's new. restarted, booted normally..what?!..
m
l
May 17, 2012 4:33:32 PM

Hmm really strange.You can rule out software bugs then.Take your pc to the shop and ask them to test it other gpu.
m
l
May 17, 2012 5:18:25 PM

i tried. like i said earlier, i took it back to the shop and the card was apparently fine. benchmarked even.

everything else seems to function fine minus the GPU. even ran Memtest on the RAM, no errors. tried the 'one stick only' approach, no difference.

still wondering if software bugs can entirely be ruled out, so far the signs point to a hardware problem but how and where......?
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:22:44 AM

cooldudesubho said:
is that a asrock mobo?

it is, yeah.

i'll get charged just for them to look at the pc, and i'd have to take a cab so i'd rather not..all this has cost me quite a lot already.

maybe i'll just take the motherboard and cpu? not really seeing other options now..
m
l
a c 88 U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 2:36:53 AM

Have you updated your mobo drivers?
m
l
May 18, 2012 2:59:30 AM

yep. tried with and without, even cleared mobo + format but as soon as i install any sort of nvidia/amd driver the whole 'freeze/temporary monitor shutdown/driver failed but recovered' thing happens, or the system just hangs outright and needs a reformat because it won't boot back into windows.

quick update: ran memtest again, no errors.

did eight runs of IntelBurn Test at MAXIMUM, went perfect. all timings within 130.xxx, speeds 42.7xxx-42.9xxx, results exactly the same.

so if it's not cpu, ram, or the card, then it must be the motherboard somehow..?..
m
l
May 18, 2012 11:10:39 AM

sorry for spamming so much, but i thought i'd give this all closure. might help some other poor soul.

took all my components to the service centre, mobo/cpu/ram checked out fine. ran two high-end cards without a hitch.

then the gtx 670 was introduced - BAM! freezes at window screen. tried it on two different builds, same thing. either it freezes up loading something 3d, or it can't get past the boot screen.

i guess the shop i bought the card from played a trick on me because it worked on theirs a day ago, our theory is that the card was slowly 'dying'. that makes sense, since i was able to, at first, run a poor-scored benchmark, then it started getting 'failed driver/recovered' balloons, then it just locked up at boot.

so yeah, if anyone's gtx 670 out there starts giving those 'nvidia drivers have failed but recovered' balloons and it has trouble running 3d apps then it's likely a dying/dead card. they gave me a new one that literally arrived as the old one was freezing. lame how the rude store charged me just to look at the setup though.

thanks for everyone's help anyway.
m
l
May 18, 2012 4:58:36 PM

Glad you got it fixed.Plz share some bf3 mp benchmark
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:09:19 PM

I'm getting on soon from new egg to replace my 680. I hope I don't have any of these issues. Glad you figured it out.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:36:26 PM

Traded my 7870 (30-day return policy) for a GTX 670 (Gigabyte OC edition same as angrydolphin's, I think) which arrived yesterday. Cleaned AMD drivers, installed card, installed drivers from Gigabyte CD (which prompted for an OK because they weren't certified), then updated drivers from nvidia's website. 20 minutes into ME3, freezing, stuttering, loud noises. Seemed OK for a few minutes, then issues repeat. Even happened in Windows once. Turned it off - 7870 is actually really nice in this game. Suggestions?

ASUS P8Z77-V
i5 3750K
8GB Corsair
750 Watt Corsair
Win 7 Pro 64-bit
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:39:41 PM

Windows events tells me this is the culprit: nvlddmkm
died and recovered -- I think this is a generic error, though.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:43:33 PM

standard_human said:
Traded my 7870 (30-day return policy) for a GTX 670 (Gigabyte OC edition same as angrydolphin's, I think) which arrived yesterday. Cleaned AMD drivers, installed card, installed drivers from Gigabyte CD (which prompted for an OK because they weren't certified), then updated drivers from nvidia's website. 20 minutes into ME3, freezing, stuttering, loud noises. Seemed OK for a few minutes, then issues repeat. Even happened in Windows once. Turned it off - 7870 is actually really nice in this game. Suggestions?

ASUS P8Z77-V
i5 3750K
8GB Corsair
750 Watt Corsair
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

the 670 is a beast - same model indeed. 'grats on the swap.

..sad to hear what's happened to you though. i'd want no one to go through what i had to endure.

where's the 'loud noise' coming from, your hard drive?

it's a bit hard to tell what's wrong at this stage, could be any of your components. can't entirely rule out software but it's probably not that. do your other parts check out OK? what happens if you try another card?

if you can't get a friend to help out, then yeah..time to slot in a formatted drive with a fresh copy of windows. install nothing but factory mobo + graphics card driver and see what happens first.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:45:25 PM

dragonsamus said:
I'm getting on soon from new egg to replace my 680. I hope I don't have any of these issues. Glad you figured it out.

nice, great choice! which one did you go for?

maybe you should try 'breadboarding' first just to see if the card checks out with factory drivers + ability to pass benchmarks, before you get it all nestled into the case and everything. what i wish i had done!
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:51:40 PM

thanks for the reply - painful situation no doubt - expectations were high

the noise is from the speakers -- gpu-z logged a bunch of stuff which shows that everything goes south all at once when this happens, but no indication of when it will start, temps looks fine <40C (I could post 20 minute log, later)

Worked excellently with the 7870.

The only oddity I recall was that I had the nvidia console program (not sure what it's called; I have been true to AMD for many years) when I updated the drivers to 301.34 but wasn't prompted to close it. I also did not use the 'clean install' for the upgrade from the CD borne drivers, used express.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:53:14 PM

Unfortunately I got this thing from Amazon - no local stores have these, yet.
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:57:10 PM

hmm. noise is odd, i never had that before. from my hours of trawling the web on this, some say the 'HD Audio' drivers were responsible for the crashes. there's hundreds of causes though, hence why it's so frustrating..

can you open the nvidia control panel and render 3d okay? does your card act up once you try to touch anything remotely 3d? because that's where it all started with mine.
m
l
May 18, 2012 6:06:05 PM

interesting - glad your new one is working well, BTW - it renders 3D fine but crashes are at random times during gameplay and crashes increased in frequency. After returning from a crash, gameplay is slow presumably due to low fps. Then its works OK. Then it crashes, again.

The noise is some tone from the game it locks onto and turns it up loud, blank screen and maybe a return to the game. I have not tested other games, yet.
m
l
May 18, 2012 6:44:29 PM

angrydolphin said:
sorry for spamming so much, but i thought i'd give this all closure. might help some other poor soul.

took all my components to the service centre, mobo/cpu/ram checked out fine. ran two high-end cards without a hitch.

then the gtx 670 was introduced - BAM! freezes at window screen. tried it on two different builds, same thing. either it freezes up loading something 3d, or it can't get past the boot screen.

i guess the shop i bought the card from played a trick on me because it worked on theirs a day ago, our theory is that the card was slowly 'dying'. that makes sense, since i was able to, at first, run a poor-scored benchmark, then it started getting 'failed driver/recovered' balloons, then it just locked up at boot.

so yeah, if anyone's gtx 670 out there starts giving those 'nvidia drivers have failed but recovered' balloons and it has trouble running 3d apps then it's likely a dying/dead card. they gave me a new one that literally arrived as the old one was freezing. lame how the rude store charged me just to look at the setup though.

thanks for everyone's help anyway.

is that new one actually up and running?
m
l
May 19, 2012 5:19:41 AM

yeah it is, everything seems stable so far.

there aren't any bios updates for this card as far as i'm aware. if you've seen any, please do let me know!

dan, i'd say try using a disk with a clean install of windows + core drivers only, then run some benchmarks to see what happens.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 5:31:26 AM

Were there any BIOS updates for the card?
m
l
May 20, 2012 2:57:09 AM

Just found this on the NVIDIA forums, Just thought i'd post it here to see if anyone has any success with it.

To Quote :

Ok, I now have a stable system (so far *knock on wood*).

I once again, completely removed the nvidia drivers while in safe mode then booted into Windows and performed the following steps:

1) Uninstalled PrecisionX and GPU-Z
2) Installed 301.40 drivers (did NOT install any 3d or Audio related drivers during custom install process; previously i just installed everything, but this time I did not)
3) Changed Windows 7 power management setting to High Performance (it was on balanced)
4) Re-installed PrecisionX
5) Turned off "Fan Curve" in PrecisionX (basically, it's back to the default setting = hardware controlled). GPU runs a few degrees warmer, so I may change this back to software controlled and see how it does.

Now I'm seeing Core and Memory clock speeds that make sense. They are now boosting (clock speeds up to about 1083) and staying near max while I'm playing BF3 (max settings) and the gameplay is much smoother now. I only gained a few FPS over previous attempts, but overall gameplay feels much smoother.

In Firefall I'm now getting +15 FPS over previous attempts and extremely smooth gameplay with all settings maxed. GPU Clock remains boosted to between 1010 and 1084.

I tried to play APB (to compare to earlier attempts), but it will no start. The launcher opens, but when clicking the 'play/start' button I see the APB.exe running in task manager for a few seconds, then PrecisionX shows high GPU useage (like it's loading somethinig) and then the process dies. I don't know if this is just a game issue or if it's graphic related.

At this point I don't know if I suddenly got lucky with a clean driver install or if one of my above changes helped.

I am on vacation over the weekend so this is my last chance to use the GTX670 until Monday. When I get back I'll benchmark this thing one more time and compare to the last benchmarks I took. I'll also stress the heck out of the card and possibly OC it a bit to see how it handles.

end quote.

What i'd like to know is where did he get the 301.40 drivers, I've been to the nvidia drivers website and the latest i could find was 301.34.....
m
l
May 21, 2012 12:00:00 AM

angrydolphin said:
yeah it is, everything seems stable so far.

the monitor signal 'dies' before loading to the desktop for a few seconds though, but this might be a driver error. like a lot of people, i'm also getting that 'nvidia control panel application has stopped working' error whenever i click any page and close it. doesn't seem to affect anything.

i'd say try using a disk with a clean install of windows + core drivers only, then run some benchmarks to see what happens.

3dmark11

1) P9277
2) crashed at test 4
3) P2207
4) would not start test (errors)
5) P2252

I don't know. I reading just_dan's post, maybe there's something there...I'm away, now but I do remember voltages being crazy, but wrote it off to power-saving/turbo settings
m
l
May 21, 2012 12:02:10 AM

Quote:

1) P9277
2) crashed at test 4
3) P2207
5) P2252

Let's try that again

1) P9277
2) crashed at test 4
3) P9207
5) P9252

in other words, it works comparable to other gtx 670's or it crashes
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:13:59 AM

that's odd. so your card wasn't like mine, and is able to render 3d but has errors and the voltage readings are all over the place?

the only problem i'm having with mine STILL is that 'nvidia control panel application has stopped working', but i'm able to change the settings on any page. the thing just 'crashes' each time i close it, if that makes sense.

also, when i boot up into desktop, the monitor signal 'dies' for a few seconds. it scares me every time. i'm thinking this has something to do with the screwy drivers though, if google tells me anything..
m
l
May 21, 2012 2:34:16 PM

I'm out of the country for a few days but am going to try and figure out exactly how stable it is when I get back. Maybe by skipping some of the optional driver installations. Those benchmarks are using 301.34 BTW re-installed (clean). In ME3 it didn't crash in my 10 min. test and seemed to perform better but then those 3dmark11 crashes happened...

I am still tempted to send it back for a new one but am holding onto hope that the problem is the new drivers.
m
l
May 21, 2012 3:03:53 PM

if your control panel isn't acting up at all, then i'm not sure if it's driver-related.

i mean, it sounds like all the other components in your system are perfectly fine since you didn't have these problems with that 7870...only when the gtx 670 is introduced, there are problems, so...i'm willing to bet it's hardware..
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:53:38 PM

Just wanted to say I'm having similar issues. My Gigabyte GTX 670 has been freezing during games and sometimes giving me the BSOD. I've done memtest and intelburntest for at least 7 hours to rule out any other hardware problems. I've contacted Gigabyte support but have not received any reply. Most likely going to RMA this to newegg.

Also wanted to add that the noise when it freezes is the game sound looping indefinitely. Is that what's happening to you standard_hum?

My specs:
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Intel Core i5-3570k
Corsair AX750 750W PSU
8GB Ram
m
l
May 22, 2012 1:47:36 AM

damn einchef, sucks to hear that. i'm guessing you get the same errors even after a format + clean install of windows.

looks like there's a bad batch of cards after all..?

m
l
May 22, 2012 1:55:44 AM

angrydolphin said:
damn einchef, sucks to hear that. i'm guessing you get the same errors even after a format + clean install of windows.

looks like there's a bad batch of cards after all..?

Well it was a newly built machine so I had no previous drivers that would conflict with it so I didn't bother. Dealing with gigabyte support right now but I'm going to return it and wait to see what's up with the 670s before buying again.
m
l
May 22, 2012 2:10:52 AM

check if clock Speeds are on drugs
m
l
May 22, 2012 2:13:43 AM

mogen1000 said:
check if clock Speeds are on drugs

it's factory-overclocked, i didn't want to mess with it and turn them down. that wasn't the problem anyway, at least for me..
m
l
!