Sign in with
Your question

HD7870 + EPP 500W

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2012 4:09:01 PM

Hi guys!
Thank you for reading.
I know this is a question asked before, but I'm here to ask you for some help. I'm from Argentina and actually there is no way I can buy a PSU more expensive. The actual price here is $AR 460 / 4,85 = USD94,84 (yes, 95 bucks).
There is somekind of a problem with PSU's and there are no good PSU under the high-end 900w-1000w PSU's that cost more or less $250.
So... the question is, can I run that GPU with the CoolerMaster EPP 500w?
Is the ripple and noise going to damage mi mboard, cpu, etc.?
And the other question I wanted to ask you, I know that many hd7870 came with the capacitors problem that caused many of them to throw black screens.
AMD has fixed that problem.
How do I know if the card i'm buying is not a bad card? I mean, that do not belong to that series.
Generally speaking, many people here in ARG sells failed hardware.

I hope you understand me, sorry for my English.

Thank you!

More about : hd7870 epp 500w

a c 155 ) Power supply
November 20, 2012 7:02:04 PM

The HD 7870 requires 161W at max load. That translates into about 13.5A draw on the +12V rail. That PSU has 2 x 18A +12V rails. Its 500W rating is quite over rated. Its specs put it solidly in the 300W-350W category. I wouldn't worry about the PSU's ripple/noise doing any damage, but it may be a bit too small for the card if you have a high wattage CPU and some other +12V devices demanding power all at the same time. If you experience shut downs or reboots when gaming, that will be a sign that the PSU can't maintain the voltage necessary.
m
l
a c 1196 ) Power supply
November 20, 2012 7:35:50 PM

Fhoerth said:
Hi guys!
Thank you for reading.
I know this is a question asked before, but I'm here to ask you for some help. I'm from Argentina and actually there is no way I can buy a PSU more expensive. The actual price here is $AR 460 / 4,85 = USD94,84 (yes, 95 bucks).
There is somekind of a problem with PSU's and there are no good PSU under the high-end 900w-1000w PSU's that cost more or less $250.
And the other question I wanted to ask you, I know that many hd7870 came with the capacitors problem that caused many of them to throw black screens.
How do I know if the card i'm buying is not a bad card? I mean, that do not belong to that series.

Thank you!

Yes. High levels of ripple on the +12V rail(s) will destroy the electrolytic capacitors on your motherboard and graphics card rendering them useless.

You need to keep the total DC output power draw from that Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W PSU below 400 Watts to keep the ripple within specs.

The power draw of a Radeon HD 7870 depends on the specific brand and model of the graphics card and whether or not you will be further overclocking the card.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 20, 2012 7:58:58 PM

Ok, thank you for the answer. So... perhaps will be more safely to buy a hd7770 =(
m
l
a c 1196 ) Power supply
November 20, 2012 8:22:55 PM

Fhoerth said:
Ok, thank you for the answer. So... perhaps will be more safely to buy a hd7770 =(

A Radeon HD 7850 is also an option. Its performance is much better than that of a Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition.
m
l
a c 155 ) Power supply
November 20, 2012 8:29:48 PM

+1^
The HD 7850 is a lot of card for the wattage.
m
l
November 20, 2012 9:04:22 PM

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

At about 170w per 12v rail is where it starts to falter. Since the CPU and video card are on different rails, you should be able to go up to about 150w on the video card once you get all other things (HDDs, Optical drive, etc) out of the way.

http://www.guru3d.com/miraserver/images/2012/GV-R787OC-...

130w cuts it kind of close, but you would PROBABLY be fine. Albeit you'd probably reduce the life of your PSU. The 7850 would probably be a safer bet, but it's up to you. (This is also peak draw, and during most games it would be lower)
m
l
a c 299 ) Power supply
November 20, 2012 10:12:10 PM

Fhoerth said:
Hi guys!
Thank you for reading.

Thank you!

Hi Fhoerth - Are you saying that coolermaster psu is $AR460/$95 usd.
If that's the case, you might try Amazon.com & check the shiiping cost to Arg on a quality psu.
You might be able to end up with a nice unit(same for video card) for the same $$. Anyway, it's worth a few minutes
on their site to find out, and you know you will get genuine (not counterfeit) items

Tom

Personally, I would try it rather than buying that CM for $95
m
l
!