Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gaming PC build

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2012 3:22:48 PM

I originally posted this in the wrong section of the Forums by mistake.

Hi folks, I am considering building a gaming rig. I have never built a machine before, but I have enough knowledge to pull it off I think, either that or really screw things up badly lol. I have a tentative parts list in mind, and I am just looking for some feedback on the selected components. Specifically I am looking to make sure everything is compatible and will work together, also I am wondering about bang for my buck, In other words are there areas I could cut back on cost for my intended purpose, or are there areas that I should ramp up a bit. My intent for the machine is primarily playing WOW, and hopefully GW2 when it releases.

Component list:

MOBO- Asus Maximus V Gene z77 mATX DDR3 Intel LGA 1155

CPU- Intel Core i7 2700K 3.5 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

RAM- Corsair 16GB Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz PC3-12800 240 pin Dual ch DDR3 (4ea 4GB sticks)

SSD Drive- Corsair 120 GB force series 3 SATA 3 6GB/s 2.5" SSD

HD- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 7200 RPM 64MB Cache.

GPU- EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1280 MB GDDR5

PSU- Corsair HX Professional Series 850W

Cooling- Cooler Master V6GT 220W CPU cooler

Case- Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 ATX Full Tower

I think that's all of the important details, any comments would really help. Thank you.

More about : gaming build

July 10, 2012 4:06:23 PM

It would be great to know your maximum budget, since a few of my suggestions depend on it:

1. GTX 570 is definitely a great card for its price, but it is also nearly 2 years old so it isn't the best in efficiency, heat and power use anymore. If your budget allows for it, a GTX 670 or (rumored) 660 Ti will do wonders for your power consumption and heat output, not to mention quite a bit faster too. The only downside is that GTX 670s are $400 now which is ~$120 more than a GTX 570.

2. The Corsair 850W is overkill if you don't plan on doing any CrossFire/SLI. For a GTX 570, a good 600W will be enough, and for a GTX 670 even a 550W will be fine.

3. For gaming, 16GB will not provide any benefits over 8GB - but more RAM is always helpful, especially if you use applications that are RAM hogs (i.e. Photoshop Lightroom).

4. Have you considered case fans? If the Dark Fleet comes fully decked with case fans, great. Keep in mind stock fans can always be replaced with better ones that are quieter and push more air.
m
l
July 10, 2012 4:56:41 PM

I am really hoping to keep the Budget around $1500. The list I included just discusses the key components I am looking at, but I also need to keep a Displays and Input devises ect. into the budget which if I get some of the things I want may start pushing the total upwards of $2000. I really cannot justify being over 2k Total, I am not looking for a Gaming beast, just something to comfortably run the games I mentioned. When I accidently posted in the wrong forum there were a couple of replies as follows:

"Swap out the 2700K for a 3570K. 2700K isn't needed for gaming." from Lucem Ferre

"Id swap the 570 for a 670 if budget allows
swap the Maximus for the Sabertooth
Ditch the Antec DF85 for a Corsair 400r
Ditch the HX850w for the HX650w (thats plenty of power for a modern system)
Cut the RAM to 8gb, 16gb is way overkill
ditch the V6 cooler and get they Hyper 212 EVO " from Uther39.

Also a 7850 instead of a 570.

1. The Graphics card I knew was sort of antiquated by now, but I had one in a previous system and really enjoyed its capabilities then, and the cost is really attractive now, but I am open to stepping up to a 7870 card or a 670. if there are any suggestions on cards in that range I would be happy to here them. I have read mixed reviews on the Asus cards at that level and the EVGA cards seem to not be as popular.

2. I know the power supply is a monster for what I have listed, but I have had some past PSU issues, and I would most likely at some point in the future run a Crossfire/SLI config, and its only about $50-$75 more than the others. But if things are really tight and I have the option of a better GPU vs. the oversized PSU I would certainly take the GPU.

3. I may take the suggestion and downsize to the 8GB Ram (2x 4GB) leaving the option to pop in another pair later to get the 16GB, but again its only about a $50 difference. I guess I should toss in that, while my primary focus for the machine is the a fore mentioned Gaming, I am a Roadway/Bridge Designer and run MicroStation/ AutoCad at work and would most likely end up bringing some work home with me, the extra RAM would come in handy there, but is not crucial.

4. The amount of room and the number of available case fans is what initially led me to the Antec DF-85 case, but I really like Uther's suggested Corsair 400r case, and am leaning in that direction now.

Uther suggests going to the SaberTooth MOBO, and I am wondering if the extra $150 is worth that.
After looking at the CPU's a little more I like the idea of the i5 3570k so that may be a bit of savings as well.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

July 10, 2012 5:40:07 PM

PCBuilditNoob said:
I am really hoping to keep the Budget around $1500. The list I included just discusses the key components I am looking at, but I also need to keep a Displays and Input devises ect. into the budget which if I get some of the things I want may start pushing the total upwards of $2000. I really cannot justify being over 2k Total, I am not looking for a Gaming beast, just something to comfortably run the games I mentioned.

Thanks, that gives us a budget to work with.

For WoW and GW2, it should run very comfortably on a GTX 570 on 1080p monitor. Those aren't extremely demanding games after all, and GTX 570 is still a top-notch card.

Whether you want a 7850 or 570 is matter of preference in my opinion. Performance benchmarks are all over the place depending on who you ask. Tom's own article puts the 7850 at par with 570, but as you see in the Anandtech forums the debate rages as to which card is faster.

Here are some pros and cons of each card.

Pros:
- 28nm, current-generation card
- ess power, less heat
- 2GB of VRAM

Cons:
- some say AMD drivers still lag behind Nvidia
- may not perform as well as GeForce in Nvidia-optimized games.

GTX 570
Pros:
- CUDA-enabled for faster computing in supported applications such as Photoshop and AutoCAD
- performs on par with 7850
- can sometimes be found with steep discounts (I've seen a Galaxy GTX 570 go for $230CAD)

Cons:
- older lithography/design so higher power use and more heat
- 1.28GB VRAM may not be enough for very demanding games

PCBuilditNoob said:
2. I know the power supply is a monster for what I have listed, but I have had some past PSU issues, and I would most likely at some point in the future run a Crossfire/SLI config, and its only about $50-$75 more than the others. But if things are really tight and I have the option of a better GPU vs. the oversized PSU I would certainly take the GPU.

Actually, I think it is a good idea to invest in a good, high-wattage PSU early on if you plan on CrossFire/SLI in the future. The way I see it is that when you find out your PSU is not strong enough (i.e. only 650W) the whole thing must be replaced. On the other hand, even if a card starts feeling a bit slow (i.e. 7850) one simply needs to buy another and plop it in.

PCBuilditNoob said:
3. I may take the suggestion and downsize to the 8GB Ram (2x 4GB) leaving the option to pop in another pair later to get the 16GB, but again its only about a $50 difference. I guess I should toss in that, while my primary focus for the machine is the a fore mentioned Gaming, I am a Roadway/Bridge Designer and run MicroStation/ AutoCad at work and would most likely end up bringing some work home with me, the extra RAM would come in handy there, but is not crucial.

If you don't mind the $50 difference to get 16GB,m then I'd say go for it. You said you bring AutoCAD projects home - the extra RAM will be useful in that case. So will be the i7-2600K's extra HyperThread cores.

PCBuilditNoob said:
4. The amount of room and the number of available case fans is what initially led me to the Antec DF-85 case, but I really like Uther's suggested Corsair 400r case, and am leaning in that direction now.

Corsair makes very good cases. You won't go wrong with it.

PCBuilditNoob said:
Uther suggests going to the SaberTooth MOBO, and I am wondering if the extra $150 is worth that.
After looking at the CPU's a little more I like the idea of the i5 3570k so that may be a bit of savings as well.

As you said earlier, if your new PC is going to be expecting some AutoCAD work, then an i7-2600K is definitely worthwhile for that type of workload. The i5-3570K is more efficient and very slightly faster at same clocks, but it doesn't have HyperThreading.

At the same time, the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 is a very nice motherboard but I doubt the extra $150 is well-spent in your case. Instead, I'd recommend a ASRock Z77 board that everyone here likes to recommend.

I would dig up links and provide you with a complete system with price, but since I'm at work I can't really do that ;) 
July 10, 2012 5:40:30 PM

Yes, the usual suggestions apply here. Unless you plan on doing a lot of CAD work at home, you don't need an i7. For gaming, the 3570k will be great. Same goes for RAM; 16 GB is overkill, but if you need it for another reason, fine. I also agree that 7850 > 570. It's cheaper, cooler, uses less power, and is more overclockable. And it has 60% more RAM, which will help in the future.

I should note also that WoW and GW2 are not exactly graphics powerhouses. You shouldn't throw money away for no reason. Do you play any other games at all? If that's it, I would not bother going up to the 670/7950 level of cards.
m
l
July 10, 2012 6:39:15 PM

Quote:
I should note also that WoW and GW2 are not exactly graphics powerhouses. You shouldn't throw money away for no reason. Do you play any other games at all? If that's it, I would not bother going up to the 670/7950 level of cards.

No not at all, That's about all I have time to Play, and is why I had initially thought of the 570.

Thank you for the useful information guys, your replies are really helping me settle in and feel more comfortable about some choices that I was sketchy on.

Quote:
At the same time, the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 is a very nice motherboard but I doubt the extra $150 is well-spent in your case. Instead, I'd recommend a ASRock Z77 board that everyone here likes to recommend.

I looked into some reviews on this board, and there are a number of negatives posts concerning DOA boards and such on the forums for Tiger, New egg, Amazon ect. which concerns me a bit it seems the experiences are very one way or the other, the ones that worked loved them and clearly the ones that did not hated them.
m
l
July 10, 2012 7:13:08 PM

PCBuilditNoob said:

I looked into some reviews on this board, and there are a number of negatives posts concerning DOA boards and such on the forums for Tiger, New egg, Amazon ect. which concerns me a bit it seems the experiences are very one way or the other, the ones that worked loved them and clearly the ones that did not hated them.

I am not sure if you were looking at the ASRock Z77 board that many here recommend, since ASRock does make motherboards for all price ranges.

Judging by Tom's mid-range Z77 roundup, these two come out as favorites:

ASRock Z77 Extreme6:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=71106&vpn=Z77%20Extreme6&...

MSI Z77A-GD65:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69234&vpn=Z77A-GD65&manuf...

Gigabyte's offering was recognized for its value/performance.

Gigabyte Z77-UD3H:
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=70263&vpn=GA-Z77X-UD3H&ma...

Never mind the Canadian prices if you're not from Canada. It should be even cheaper in the US, in fact.

Those are some of the mid-range board choices for you. Sabertooth is a notch above at $249CAD, which is quite a bit of change for a $1500 budget.

If you're worried about DOA boards, don't fret; all reputable retailers have a RMA policy and it takes mere days.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 10, 2012 7:35:00 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($218.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1473.37
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
l
July 10, 2012 8:00:19 PM

bigcyco1 said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($218.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1473.37
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

I think that's a good system, though the choice of i5-3570K does not work as well as an i7-2600K for AutoCAD. I still think an i7-2600K or i7-3770K would better serve his workstation and gaming needs.
m
l
July 11, 2012 3:05:50 PM

Here is the Parts list I have decided on, thanks to all of your suggestions and input. A couple of the choices are just personal preference things and or things that made sense to for my needs. I appreciate the input and reasoning for the i7 vs the i5 CPU but at the end of the day it will be used 90% of the time for gaming and only maybe 10% for take home work projects. Also I omitted the Windows 7 because I already Own a full version that I would send over to this new machine and scrap the old one. When the GPU becomes a problem I will just SLI/Crossfire it, and I would like to add a second Display in the near future. I think that about covers it unless someone sees a fatal flaw with these choices. Thank you for all of the help!

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($304.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On DS-8A8SH DVD/CD Writer ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Display: Asus VE276Q 27.0" Monitor ($264.98 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G110 Wired Standard Keyboard ($59.79 @ B&H)

Total: $1596.63 (after rebates)
m
l
July 11, 2012 3:12:36 PM

Best answer selected by PCBuilditNoob.
m
l
July 12, 2012 12:03:23 AM

All parts look good.

Happy building, and if you ever have issues/questions/reports feel free to come back and post a new thread!
m
l
!