Sign in with
Your question

New build and com port question

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2012 2:35:01 PM

I am preparing to build a new computer - hi-performance for image and video processing (mostly photoshop CS6, some premiere pro.) So far, this is my build:

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE - LGA2011 - X79 - 8x DIMM - PCIe 3.0 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply CP-9020003-NA
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 2048 MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, 02G-P3-1469-KR
Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2
2 X Western Digital Caviar Green 3 TB SATA III 64 MB Cache Bare/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD30EZRX
Antec Eleven Hundred Black Super Mid Tower Computer Case
LG Electronics CH08LS10K LightScribe SATA Blu-ray Combo Drive, Bulk (Black)
Koutech IO-RCM430 Multi-in-1 USB 3.0 Front Panel Internal Card Reader with USB 3.0 Hub (3.5")
4 X Enermax T.B.SILENCE 120mm PWM Twister Fan

So far, I have the Intel i7 3930K Processor, and am ready to buy the rest by the end of the week.

I'd appreciate any critique on this build - are these components compatible? Can I save money without sacrificing power and speed? I work with fairly large photoshop and video files, so storage, power, and speed are all three very important.

Finally - I see that modern motherboards do not have either parallel or serial ports built in, but that add-on cards are available for very little money. Is there any justification for installing such an add-on card with parallel or serial ports? My current printer, Epson R1900 uses a USB connection, and it seems that most modern printers do the same. I don't need to accomodate every conceivable contingency, nor do I anticipate needing to rely on vintage equipment. Is there a credible contemporary rationale for having a serial/parallel port?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and help.

More about : build port question

July 10, 2012 4:19:59 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
July 10, 2012 9:30:20 PM

If money is not a problem get to evga 670 FTW and get 2 so they can be on sli
Related resources
July 11, 2012 12:30:00 AM

Who said money isn't a problem? I don't want to spend more than I need to or spend money I dont' get any value from.
July 11, 2012 12:35:30 AM

Well since its for Image and video I would spend some money on a graphics card.
July 11, 2012 12:36:28 AM

It will be a great computer.
July 11, 2012 2:07:52 PM

Thanks - I hope so. I've been advised against considering SLI since Photoshop can't use that. I'm considering a 570 as opposed to a 560. But, I think I want to stick with 2GB of VRAM.

I'd like this machine to last me 3 years before being updated, and then 2-3 years after that. I've never built a computer before, so I'm a bit unsure and nervous about the process. I certainly don't want to invest in all of these components and then screw it up through inexperience.

There's a shop nearby that will do the assembly and set up for $200. I'm considering that option. But, I'd really like to do it myself. I just need the confidence to start the job.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 2:34:19 PM

Regarding the Parallel and Serial ports, I'd say you do NOT need them unless you have such a device to use. My last Parallel port printer I converted years ago to a network printer by using a little printer server module plugged into the printer's parallel port. As you say, virtually every printer now comes as a USB device.

I have one retail POS computer system that still uses a dot matrix sales slip printer attached to a serial (RS-232) COM port. the printer is mow 19 years old and keeps on workin', so I won't replace it until necessary. But when it fails, no doubt the new one will connect via USB.

In the past, the only other common device using such ports was a telephone modem on a serial port. These days few of them are in use. In this machine I have a FAX / Modem as a PCI bus card, used almost exclusively for sending FAXes - very rare to use the modem function. It's a better choice than an external modem, anyway.
!