Help Me find some audio equipment.

Jcoasters

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Hi.

I Am Wondering what would be the best DAC for under $100 and whether or not that DAC would be better or worse than an Xonar DX. I mostly play games, but I also listen to music from time to time.

What would be a good set of monitors to match them? I like a lot of bass as i listen to electronic music. Can you also be so kind and include From several price ranges? The max I'll Pay is $200, but I'd like to go for around $100 if that is possible. Thanks.

Most people buy into "studio monitors" not knowing if they want accuracy or want their music to "sound as good as possible" Also accurate monitors worthy for use in a studio/professional environment would cost far far more than $200 so in your shoes i would look into Black Friday deals and consider a combination of new (Pioneer BS21 $49.99/free ship) and used amp/receiver on Craiglist. Save up for a decent active sub later - a bad sub would likely ruin your music so no point skimping on it :p
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117405

jwl2

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012

I stepped into this area trying to get better sound and ended up spending quite a bit more then $200. With your budget, quality sound will be tough to do without going the used route or a lot of luck with sales. One thing to consider is that computer speakers tend to be designed for gaming...and thus have more of the boom sound you are looking for.

DACs are capable of producing much better sound than sound cards, but that depends on the DAC. No one seemed to be able to provide me with clear specific metrics in which to compare DACs or DACs with sound cards - most just said it was up to the listener to decide. This leads me to believe that while DACs can be better, it is not necessarily true that all DACs are better than all sound cards.

Best of Luck,

J