New Gaming PC Builder Here - NEED HELP!

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Currently i have: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/12454-12454-64287-321860-3328896-5037909.html?dnr=1

Which is no gaming PC by any means, but it does have a good I5 Processor, 8GB ram, 64 Bit... and other good hardware.

Now, the only things that hold this back from good gaming on good graphics is the PSU and the Graphics card (i think)

So, i ordered:

Corsair (600W): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-600CXV2UK-Builder-Series-Supply/dp/B0050AFU46/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1341867657&sr=1-18

GTX 560 TI: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-560TI-DirectCUII-Graphics/dp/B004K8R8DA/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1341560731&sr=1-1

These go well together, however i cant put these in the HP according to HP live support as it (quoted from live chat) 'will blow up your pc'

So, next on my journey, I will buy a new case:

CaseCom Case: http://www.ebuyer.com/172779-casecom-6788-all-black-case-km-6788-black

So here are my 4 questions for you guys:

1) Can I move all the hardware from the HP (look at the HP specs Page above) to the new CaseCom Case?
2) Will the new GTX and Corsair PSU fit into the new case?
3) Will everything work together in the new case?
4) What makes the HP not able to have the PSU and Card without 'blowing up' ? What makes it so different from the new case?

Any more details needed, Post below!

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
ignore the tech support

no offence to people here but most of them are just call centre people that know very little about computers

the motherboard will pull the power it needs and the same with the other components

you could put in a 10,000watt psu and it would be fine, you would never use more than 500-1000watts but it would work and not damage anything

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

so i dont need a new PC case? I can just fit the Card and PSU straight into my HP and it will be fine?

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Umm.. Your referring to the new case? So could I put the card and psu in my HP or not?

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

But surely if the case is 17in and the card is 15.* (I forget, on iPhone can't return to page) it can fit, and what about the psu, will it kill my PC or even fit?

Wait a minute. That particular 560 Ti is 9.84 inches long... In any case, a 15.74 inch long card would be insane and I didn't even know one existed that was that long (I don't think one does).

You should be fine with that card in the HP case.

I'm thinking Rugger is seeing box dimensions.

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

And the psu? Will the corsair 600w be fine? (link is in post)

If the case can fit normal ATX PSU's (which it looks like it should), then yes.

HP's "tech support" is just trying to stop you from upgrading to make you want to buy another system (and for possible warranty concerns). It won't "blow up" your PC. There's literally no way it could unless the new PSU blew up and took the rest with it (VERY doubtful), but that's possible with the OEM PSU anyway..

Spot on and good catch - Amazon lists box dimensions instead of card. That would make a for a good 'who's got the biggest' story though. :D

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Can you tell me how i can check if it fits normal ATX PSUs?

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

where did you get them, from the spec page im guessing?

So let me some up this whole thing in one quick easy sentence...

The HP pricks lied, I can fit the PSU and Card into my current HP and do not need a new case at all, everything will work fine once fitted into the HP and it will be good for gaming?

Yep on the first question. The case is 7 inches wide and the PSU is 5.9 inches wide.

And your summation is correct. Like I said a bit earlier, either they wanted you to not upgrade and just buy a new system from them or they HAD to tell you that because they were told to for warranty reasons.

Such is the the pain of dealing with an OEM and not building your own system in the first place because OEM's don't EVER want you to be able to upgrade usually. Not covered by their (weak) warranty.

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

You have been a Very Big help ! Thanks A lot! If I have any questions can i ask you :D, When get all the stuff

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
I was still researching after this as well, Mainly because i wanted to be 101% sure before buying £230 + hardware...

I am bumped into the problem of does my PC even support the PSU and Graphics card again, even after DJDeCiBel's repies!

So here are a few screenshots:

This is of the Live Chat (maybe liers) at HP:

msgs.jpg

Are they right here?

This is out of the manual of the HP product PSU page (dont know if this helps)

compaq.jpg

So using this information, once again, will the PSU and the graphics card even work in the HP Compaq 6200 Pro MicroTower?

The tech support is absolutely incorrect. The PC will only draw the power that it requires from the PSU. There is no way for the PSU to overpower the PC - that is complete hogwash. The motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot so the GPU will work on the mobo. The PSU is ATX and has all of the requisite power connections; it will provide the correct power to the components in your PC. If it physically fits in the PC then it will work.

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
The tech support is absolutely incorrect. The PC will only draw the power that it requires from the PSU. There is no way for the PSU to overpower the PC - that is complete hogwash. The motherboard has a PCIe x16 slot so the GPU will work on the mobo. The PSU is ATX and has all of the requisite power connections; it will provide the correct power to the components in your PC. If it physically fits in the PC then it will work.

Rugger I completely respect you for calling the tech support hogwash :) What an amazing word to describe them!
I will go ahead and not worry about it anymore (after i see the correct measurements), and even if it dont work, ill just scrap my sh*tty HP and build one :D

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

do you think this PC will be good at gaming? AKA. Ultra on SC2 and max out most games? When i have the PSU and Card Obviously?

I max SC2 with an i3 2120 and an HD6950; you will easily do it with your setup. The 2500K/670 combo will max out any game that I can think of at 1900-1200 resolution. If you go with a multi-monitor or step up to 2560 gaming res then it will slow down some on the toughest FPS-type games but you'll still be very playableand shouldn't go below the 30FPS sweet spot on on any current game.

jdlivegamers

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Im only gaming on a single monitor at this moment, So mine is really good? Will it max out BF3 and Skyrim lol? Sorry way off topic feel free to ignore me!

Hogwash...haven't used that one in a bit. For any interested in the history behind the term:
The word "hogwash" itself, however, comes from a more honorable venue, the barnyard. "Hogwash" in the farming sense is garbage, kitchen waste, or sometimes the leftover refuse of a brewery, used as slop or swill for the feeding of swine. The "wash" in "hogwash" is derived from the noun "wash," which has many senses, including "waste water, discharged after use in washing" (as in rinsing out a pot, for instance), and "hogwash" in the literal feed-the-piggies sense is indeed often largely liquid. "Hogwash" first appeared in English in the barnyard sense around 1440, and by 1712 was being used as a synonym for cheap liquor or any other worthless thing, including bad writing. By the late 1800s, "hogwash" was being used among journalists themselves to describe worthless writing in newspapers, and ever since "hogwash" has been used to mean any sort of intellectually fraudulent argument or specious proclamation.