Upgrading An Integrated Laptop to a Non-Integrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boxer15

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
I just got a new Macbook (normally I am a windows guy so do not turn this into a hate thread please) anyway, my Macbook is a1342 the mid 2010 model, well it has a slow CPU, come to find out, that CPU is also integrated... Well, I know a guy who can micro solder, he said he would give it a go to solder a new CPU in there (I was thinking the Core 2 Duo T9900) but I was also wondering... Is it possible in any way to solder in a Non-Integrated socket to an Integrated laptop? I would like to be able to upgrade/remove the cpu after without having to deal with paying to have someone micro solder again... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-CPU-Connector-Base-mPGA478B-Socket-478-Reballing-/180917295170?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1f82d842 for instance, I seen that they do sell these on ebay and other sites. Maybe I could have my buddy solder one of these in instead of just the CPU? I mean really, that would be pretty amazing, jumping from Integrated to Non-Integrated, and hey, maybe someone could also try it with their GPU afterwards too! Which would be awesome considering you wouldn't have to pay $2500 on a laptop just so you would have the ability to upgrade your Graphics Card... Tell me what you think, maybe I am just an idiot and there is no other way... But hey, worth a shot;)

Solution
Microsolder and reballing are two different things. The chip is a BGA chip that he would need the proper stencil for, as well as a reflow machine to remove and reattach the chip.

It's a matter of the bios and everything being able to handle it as well, especially when it comes to trying to switch a graphics chip, it's not just that easy. Companies don't add extra's into a board if they aren't needed. The other problem is trying to get a chip to replace it with. They are sometimes not the exact chips as a desktop model. Things as simple as power pins being in a different spot can make it not work. Unless you can verify that that the 1000 or so balls are EXACTLY the same as a normal chip, you're SOL. Laptop chips are normally...

solar1992

Honorable
Oct 19, 2012
would be nigh on impossible to get it to work. AFAIK when they are soldered in then they tend to only have very limited upgrade options, but a new Socket most likely won't fit or have the connections with the rest of the system in the right place etc etc.

Not to mention the Southbridge may not support it etc etc, or the power supply systems.

Whole minefield

boxer15

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012
Hmmm, it seems so tempting! I think I might actually try for it anyway. I just have to order the parts for it! Have you or anyone else who sees this tried it before? How did it go? Thanks for the reply!

Microsolder and reballing are two different things. The chip is a BGA chip that he would need the proper stencil for, as well as a reflow machine to remove and reattach the chip.

It's a matter of the bios and everything being able to handle it as well, especially when it comes to trying to switch a graphics chip, it's not just that easy. Companies don't add extra's into a board if they aren't needed. The other problem is trying to get a chip to replace it with. They are sometimes not the exact chips as a desktop model. Things as simple as power pins being in a different spot can make it not work. Unless you can verify that that the 1000 or so balls are EXACTLY the same as a normal chip, you're SOL. Laptop chips are normally different to begin with from desktop chips. You shouldn't have bought a 2 year old laptop if you didn't want a slow laptop.

This is all providing that your friend has the proper equipment and knows how to reball, just not solder.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.