Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Budget CPU's

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 6:20:36 PM

Well I want to know how good are these processors for the home usage for example office,internet,investigation homework,some minor games, music and videos, I'm trying to keep the cost down.

The processors are:
Celeron G530
Pentium G630
Celeron G440

The i3 2100 or a Pentium G850 will be better, I know, but I don't want to spend more money in something I'll not use.
Just want to know how good are those processors for the home use.

If the celeron's are not enough, please suggest some processors.

Forgot to mention, I was looking to build with an AMD A4 or A6 (Trinity), but I can't get them right now. But those processors are better than the celerons or pentiums ?

More about : budget cpu

a c 159 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 6:25:03 PM

Celeron is fine; frys had the 530 with board for around $80 recently (in stores only). I use the 2120 with hyperthreading, which I bought used on craigslist for $125 with asus board. It's a great budget cpu even for some gaming.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 6:31:01 PM

G440 is single core and not really any cheaper than the G530 - avoid it.

G530 and G620 are very similar. G620 just has more cache and slightly higher clock speed.

Score
Related resources
November 20, 2012 6:31:28 PM

could you define "minor gaming" and "investigation homework"?

That would help us determine suitability, especially for the gaming and the relative GPU's inside the CPU's
Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 6:41:22 PM

I mean minor games like angry birds, those facebook games (The Pc is not for me), and searching in internet about school homework. (The Pc is for elementary school or high school, nothing extreme for the moment).
Score

Best solution

a c 313 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 6:41:26 PM

Either the G630 or the G530 will perform excellent for the tasks you have in mind. They are both SB dual cores that run cool and provide good speed. The Pentium has a slightly larger L3 cache and a bit faster clock speed, so it would be the better choice for gaming.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/58/Intel_Celeron_Dual-...
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 6:55:47 PM

What about the A6-5400k and AMD A8-5600k in terms of "mid performance", now talking about medium gaming (COD MW3, Burnout Paradise, all in low if necessary), now about some light Photoshop, ligth video conversion, music and video.

I'm looking good price and good performance. I was thinking in the AMD A Series because of the IGP, not so much about the CPU (But it's important too)
Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 6:59:19 PM

A6 - NO. slower than the Celeron 530. graphics is better than Intel HD 2000, but still weak.
A8 - Yes. Fairly powerful quad core and has the equivalent of a $60 graphics card built in. There are some good deals on last gen A8-3850 that might be a better value right now, but it just depends on exact pricing of board and CPU together.
Score
a c 313 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 7:09:44 PM

jrayx said:
What about the A6-5400k and AMD A8-5600k in terms of "mid performance", now talking about medium gaming (COD MW3, Burnout Paradise, all in low if necessary), now about some light Photoshop, ligth video conversion, music and video.

I'm using an A10-5800K with its on-die 7660D right now that I built for re-sale in a small SFF case. It can actually play BF3 at fairly decent frame rates at 720p with med-high settings. It is even playable at 1080p with settings reduced a bit more. The CPU itself is more than adequate for most uses. If you want to eliminate the need for a discrete card, the APUs are a great choice. Plus, you can still add a discrete card in the future, or even go dual graphics.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 7:25:12 PM

clutchc said:
I'm using an A10-5800K with its on-die 7660D right now that I built for re-sale in a small SFF case. It can actually play BF3 at fairly decent frame rates at 720p with med-high settings. It is even playable at 1080p with settings reduced a bit more. The CPU itself is more than adequate for most uses. If you want to eliminate the need for a discrete card, the APUs are a great choice. Plus, you can still add a discrete card in the future, or even go dual graphics.

Great APU, I can't wait for them.
AMD is going to release more CPUS (Or APUS) for the socket FM2?
Score
a c 313 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 7:38:36 PM

jrayx said:
Great APU, I can't wait for them.
AMD is going to release more CPUS (Or APUS) for the socket FM2?

I haven't heard of any. The line up they have now is pretty complete. Another side benefit of the APU is that its on-die GPU can work with the CPU on other tasks that the GPU is better at performing. They call it Fusion.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 8:40:08 PM

THey did say at least one more generation on FM2, maybe two. Also some non-APU Athlon branded CPUs will be coming. They had one or two for FM1, too.

Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 8:47:50 PM

jrayx said:
I mean minor games like angry birds, those facebook games (The Pc is not for me), and searching in internet about school homework. (The Pc is for elementary school or high school, nothing extreme for the moment).

Choose whichever is cheaper.Any machine can run those.
Score
a c 313 à CPUs
November 20, 2012 10:50:47 PM

jrayx said:

Then the A series APUs would be the perfect solution for you. Are you looking to build or buy a pre-built?

Here is a list of model numbers from fastest to slowest:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/a-ser...
Score
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 2:10:37 AM

clutchc said:
Then the A series APUs would be the perfect solution for you. Are you looking to build or buy a pre-built?

Here is a list of model numbers from fastest to slowest:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/a-ser...

To build, I build computer for friends and family, so I'm looking for the right price for their needs (Home use and multimedia) without spending too much money on something they'll not need.
Score
a c 313 à CPUs
November 21, 2012 2:17:34 AM

jrayx said:
To build, I build computer for friends and family, so I'm looking for the right price for their needs (Home use and multimedia) without spending too much money on something they'll not need.

Are somewhere that you can buy from US retailers?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 2:24:23 AM

clutchc said:
Are somewhere that you can buy from US retailers?

Well I live in mexico, pretty close to the US, but I'm trying to keep the costs down (The taxes, shipping and I don't have passport) so I buy the hardware in 2 stores around here. They're quite expensive and they don't have the latest hardware, but it's better than nothing.
Score
a c 313 à CPUs
November 21, 2012 2:30:28 AM

jrayx said:
Well I live in mexico, pretty close to the US, but I'm trying to keep the costs down (The taxes, shipping and I don't have passport) so I buy the hardware in 2 stores around here. They're quite expensive and they don't have the latest hardware, but it's better than nothing.

I see. I was going to suggest going to http://pcpartpicker.com/ , but I don't know if that will work for you in Mexico. Their site will allow you to 'put together the build' and see who has the best prices for the components. But I think all the retailers are US.
Score
November 21, 2012 5:26:42 AM

What about a Pentium G840?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 5:30:54 AM

Tk9999 said:
What about a Pentium G840?

That's more than I need, it's for a basic build, so I was looking for the cheapest CPU like the celeron g440 or g530. But the G840 is a good CPU for gaming, i'll consider it for gaming builds :D .
Score
November 21, 2012 2:38:26 PM

I'd go for the Celeron G530 or Celeron G540.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 6:21:05 PM

Quick question: If i want to build a "budget gaming PC" The Pentium G850 supports the HD 7750 or 7750 without bottlenecks? Or should I go with the core i3-2100? Just to play games at acceptable frame rates and quality on 720p.

I'm not going to get an i5, because here in mexico are really expensive, specially the new generation ivy bridge.

As I posted, I build computers for friends, so the i3-3220 can handle good GPU's, if so which ones ?
The i5-2310 is still a good processor ? Or i have to get the ivy bridge ones? (I'm looking for the right price, so I'm trying to give them what they need)
Score
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2012 12:19:24 AM

I run an i5-2310 and it is great for games. I run 1050p with a 7850 overclocked and it's not maxing out my CPU at all in demanding games.

Ivy bridge is about 7-10% faster, so just factor that into pricing.

As for the Pentium G850 vs i3, The main difference is Hyperthreading on the i3's. Games don't really seem to take advantage of Hyperthread, so you will likely get the same results on the Pentium vs the i3. It's a very capable gaming processor paired with a decent video card.

Score
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2012 12:03:18 AM

Best answer selected by jrayx.
Score
!