Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New cheap long-lasting low user req

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2012 4:34:38 PM

Trying to build a new PC for my parents, who only surf, watch videos, listed to music on youtube and rarely use MS office. They had a rly old low-end Dell, which crashed when I tried to recover the system, now it doesn't recognize the HD and I figure it's time for a change anyway.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week - next week (my Dad needs to play his chess!!!)

Budget Range: $250-$350 (as cheap as possible without compromising durability too much)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: internet, email, light MS Word/Excel

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I don't want a large HD, but seems can't cut cost on that below $65; I have an 82 gig unused hard drive, but it's ATA - would consider using it, but for the future unupgradeability of the mobo (what do you think?)

Do you need to buy OS: Don't know - can't I use my old Windows XP disc from Dell ( <-- noob here)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect - would rather go with one site, as this is my first build

Parts Preferences: n/a

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: crappy old 15" for now, possibly will upgrade down the road, so want to have a modern jack option, using DVI right now

Additional Comments: would like to make it as small as possible, given that I'm not putting much inside

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: just don't feel like dealing with the dusty old Dell piece of crap

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

cpu - just need surfing with 4-5 windows open at once

Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80623G530

mobo - needs parralel port for the printer

GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3V LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

memory - I think 1 2gig stick to start

Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT25664BA1067

power

SPARKLE 80+ GREEN 250 R-SPI250EP 250W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

HD

cheapest on newegg is $65, what do I need to run a 6.0Gb/s, just the mobo?

case - as small and cheap as possible, but with some dignity

HEC 6T Series 6T10LITE Black SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case

drive - I have a simple external CD reader drive, if I can't use it to install the OS, will buy a cheap internal one

video - should be integrated (let me know if I need anything special)

Concerned about the appropriateness of cpu and any bottlenecks.

Appreciate all help in advance! Now that I did some work for my folks, I'm out to play Fallen Earth all day and will check on responses later.

Hopefully I didn't mess up too bad - building a pc is as easy as changing AA batteries right?

July 10, 2012 5:05:28 PM

That case is pretty bad, but that PSU has the potential to be disastrous. For your budget I'd actually recommend something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75-D3H ATX FM1 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 430W ATX12V Power Supply ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($20.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $343.47
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Slightly better integrated graphics than Intel HD 2000 / 3000 but the Llano will be able to handle what you need it for.
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:30:59 PM

That's a great build. It'll even handle gaming.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 10, 2012 5:33:59 PM

FinneousPJ said:
That's a great build. It'll even handle gaming. playing farmville

fix'd that for ya :) 
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:37:05 PM

Yeah, it'll handle Farmville too ;) 
m
l
July 10, 2012 5:42:26 PM

FinneousPJ said:
That's a great build. It'll even handle gaming.

Don't expect a Llano to max out BF3 - maybe on low to hell no settings. :lol: 
m
l

Best solution

July 10, 2012 5:48:23 PM

It will handle gaming. Not the latest titles on Ultra settings, but anything more than a couple years old, or newer titles on Medium settings. In any case, gaming is not one of the intended uses of this system.
Here's a cheaper case, that in my experience will be of better quality than the Crappermaster: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and also lacks a window, which your parents probably don't want anyway. I prefer ASRock over Gigabyte for mobos; here's one that is $22 cheaper: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 10, 2012 6:08:53 PM

I'm not talking about maxing BF3. The guy's on a 15" screen. It will handle gaming.
m
l
July 10, 2012 6:18:27 PM

FinneousPJ said:
I'm not talking about maxing BF3. The guy's on a 15" screen. It will handle gaming.

That was supposed to be a joke, but failed. :lol: 

That build I posted will handle what OP needs fine.
m
l
July 10, 2012 9:25:35 PM

- Why is the psu disasterous? Newegg calculator told me I should buy a 220W psu. It only has to run the mobo, hard drive and a fan pretty much.

- I'm not looking for gaming guys. That chess I mentioned my dad plays is not 3D animated.

- And jtt, the mobo has to have a parallel LPT port for the printer. This one had good reviews... I was picking between:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

Liked the Intel for the brand name, but it lacks a few extra features the other two offer.

- If I get a 6 Gb/s hard drive, do I need anything else to run it properly or just the port on the mobo?

Thank guys.
m
l
Anonymous
July 10, 2012 9:41:01 PM

its about the quality of a PSU not wattage and don't trust "online" calculators. it isn't difficult to google for some real world power consumption benchmarks instead of going by theoretical specs. (that would mean that every graphics card that has a 6 pin power connector would need 150 watts, just not so)

and please pay no mind to us poking fun at "gaming"

oh FYI always buy 2 sticks of RAM because motherboards are most all dual channel memory ( some triple or quad [which is just dual*2])
m
l
July 10, 2012 10:01:08 PM

rustedmobo said:
- If I get a 6 Gb/s hard drive, do I need anything else to run it properly or just the port on the mobo?

You just need a 6 Gb/s hard drive and a 6 Gb/s port on the mobo.
m
l
July 10, 2012 10:16:55 PM

rustedmobo said:
- Why is the psu disasterous? Newegg calculator told me I should buy a 220W psu. It only has to run the mobo, hard drive and a fan pretty much.

- I'm not looking for gaming guys. That chess I mentioned my dad plays is not 3D animated.

- And jtt, the mobo has to have a parallel LPT port for the printer. This one had good reviews... I was picking between:

The Llano will give it a bit more horsepower for data processing and internet usage.

As far as the PSU goes, don't go cheap or it will end badly. Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/low-cost-psu-pc-pow...

As far as printers go, parallel ports haven't been used since 1996. It's all USB.
m
l
Anonymous
July 10, 2012 10:17:41 PM

ashmonke said:
You just need a 6 Gb/s hard drive and a 6 Gb/s port on the mobo.

you can run a 6gb hard drive on a 3Gb port or a 3Gb hard drive on a 6Gb port. completely interchangeable.
m
l
Anonymous
July 13, 2012 11:33:21 PM

an C13/C14 coupler IEC power cord is very common. got an old one?
and you can use the sataIII cable on sataII hard drives
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:35:27 AM

Figured it out. I didn't know whether all power cords were the same - used my old one. The two short sata cables that came with mobo were the bare minimum, but just made it with only HD and DWD drive in there.

Thank you for all your help, hopefully this thing lasts a little while.
m
l
July 14, 2012 3:36:09 AM

Best answer selected by rustedmobo.
m
l
July 15, 2012 1:46:27 AM

Thanks. What CPU did you get? If it struggles on video (which wasn't on your initial list), a cheap HD6450 or GT430 might help, but it sounds like you're set.
m
l
July 15, 2012 1:41:14 PM

I went with my original choice, but I liked the case you recommended - it opens on both sides and is roomy, the only downside is that the psu rail doesn't leave any clearance to hide the wires behind the mobo.
m
l
!