Sign in with
Your question

I miss my Pentium 75MHz! (problem with old games)

Last response: in Video Games
August 21, 2001 2:38:00 AM

Is there any way I can play a DOS game with my athlon 1200-C with Windows ME? The game is Clash of Steel from SSI and I still consider it one of my favorite game. It always says Runtime Error. At least, with my ancient P3 300, I simply downclocked it to 166 and the game magically ran, but since a year, I upgraded the chip for a Celeron 500 (multiplier locked) and now I have my super athlon 1200. Is it desperate?
Is there a software that is made for decreasing performances of a computer? I have heard some years ago that a software called "mojo" did that, but it seems no more available and too old anyway.
Help appreciated!

<font color=red> Hail the 10th anniversary of the fall of the great Sovyetskikh soyuz empire!
August 21, 2001 6:19:33 AM

Runtime 200 errors suck.

There's a bunch of 'cpu slower' programs on the net, both DOS and Win32. Moslo, Atslow, cpu killer are a few I can remember using.

Moslo always makes the action 'jerky', wheras atslow is much more fluid. Cpu killer worked, but I didn't test it extensively.
August 22, 2001 3:50:29 AM

You changed my life!!! Cpu killer is wonderfull! Atslow is not bad too, but it requires me to be in DOS which is a bit difficult for me with Win ME. I have an old Win 98 boot disk but with no decent autoexec.bat. Moreover, my mouse is USB, so there certainly no DOS driver for that. But the game runs just perfect (except no sound, but it's a detail in this kind of game) with cpu killer!
Thank you very much! I was desperate!

<font color=red> Hail the 10th anniversary of the fall of the great Sovyetskikh soyuz empire!
Related resources
August 22, 2001 1:47:24 PM

Sounds good. There's a possibility that you can get the sound to work properly, but there's a handful of REALLY old games that just don't like to run with Win98/Me in the 'background'.

I can get Xcom1/2/3 to play sound, but Starcontrol 2 won't.
August 22, 2001 6:51:35 PM

Well, when I install the game, it asks me a lot of adresses and things like that for my "sound blaster pro" (the highest card available...) but I don't have any idea what it means so I left it like it was, but it doesn't work...

August 24, 2001 12:25:55 AM

IRQ's with old games are funny. Most old games want either IRQ 5 or 7. Some will let you select 3. Address is pretty constant at 220h. And the DMA is almost always 1.

That for the actual software choices. You'll want to 'tweak' the windoze settings so they fall into that realm.
August 24, 2001 2:56:39 AM

well, my game offers me IRQ 2 5 7 or 10. I think that my card uses the 10, but I'm not sure how I can be sure.
I set Portbase 220h, but I can set 240h, 260h or 280h too. I can choose also DMA channel 0, 1 , 2 or 3.
Finally, there is a thing weird I can choose:
"TSR use IRQ $60
TSR use IRQ $81"
I must choose one of these. My sound still not work. Where can I check if my settings are good?

August 24, 2001 4:13:26 AM

I had a thought, If they can write C64 and Atari 800 emulators, Don’t u think it would be simple to write one for legacy dos programs?

Just a thought.

Thx & Cya

<font color=green> 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f6?? </font color=green>
August 24, 2001 8:10:56 PM

Brillant! Maybe it's not possible, but I don't why. The idea is very good. I wonder where we could ask a programmer to do that...

August 24, 2001 8:21:45 PM

I'm sure there are some around here that could do it...but who are you going to find to do it.

:cool: <b>Change the sig of the week!</b> :cool:
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!!
August 25, 2001 12:23:38 AM

The problem is mainly Dos4g/w, which is as 'midi-EEEEEEVILLLLLL' as it gets.

Protected mode sux.......
!