Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

W8 Consumer preview asks for key

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
Share
March 24, 2012 9:42:00 PM

Hello,


Why is the W8 consumer preview asking for a product key and what should I do about it?
a b * Windows 8
March 24, 2012 9:45:31 PM

If you install Windows 8 Consumer Preview using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview Setup program, you won't need to enter a product key—the setup program automatically provides the product key. If you create installation media, start your PC from the media, and then install Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you'll need to enter this product key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J.
m
0
l
March 24, 2012 9:45:49 PM

you should probably enter in the product key :p  It is on the page with the download.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
March 24, 2012 9:48:50 PM

If you start from Windows you won't need a key but it will also overwrite your previous Windows and you can NOT remove this.

You should either:
a) use a spare drive for this (unhook your current Windows drive completely), or

b) make backup image of your current Windows drive/partition which you can RESTORE later. Acronis True Image can do this (but only if you're comfortable with this)

*so a) and b) would both use keys if you install during a boot. You can use method b) by installing Win 8 CP over a previous version then RESTORE the backup later.

I strongly suggest you find a spare drive, play around with Win 8 CP to test the new interface (which I hate) then put it aside. Also, if you use a spare drive you can easily reconnect your normal Windows drive and boot to it at any time.
m
0
l
March 24, 2012 10:21:12 PM

photonboy said:
If you start from Windows you won't need a key but it will also overwrite your previous Windows and you can NOT remove this.

You should either:
a) use a spare drive for this (unhook your current Windows drive completely), or

b) make backup image of your current Windows drive/partition which you can RESTORE later. Acronis True Image can do this (but only if you're comfortable with this)

*so a) and b) would both use keys if you install during a boot. You can use method b) by installing Win 8 CP over a previous version then RESTORE the backup later.

I strongly suggest you find a spare drive, play around with Win 8 CP to test the new interface (which I hate) then put it aside. Also, if you use a spare drive you can easily reconnect your normal Windows drive and boot to it at any time.



Sorry to disagree but I'm starting from an XP Pro desktop and the setup program insists on a key before proceeding. The key you gave me did work but I've decided to take your advice and find a spare drive and use an ISO image from scratch.
m
0
l
March 24, 2012 10:28:17 PM

"YOUR KEY" would have been supplied to you on the download page.
m
0
l
a b * Windows 8
March 26, 2012 2:07:32 AM

ram1009 said:
Sorry to disagree but I'm starting from an XP Pro desktop and the setup program insists on a key before proceeding. The key you gave me did work but I've decided to take your advice and find a spare drive and use an ISO image from scratch.


Sorry.
That should have said you "will" need a key, not "won't."

You don't need the key when installing from a boot disc.

Thanks for the catch. It's also nice not to be called an idiot when you make a mistake.
m
0
l
March 26, 2012 3:05:12 AM

"It's also nice not to be called an idiot when you make a mistake. "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's just say I'm not one of the junior members around here.
m
0
l
April 23, 2012 10:26:03 AM

photonboy said:
If you install Windows 8 Consumer Preview using the Windows 8 Consumer Preview Setup program, you won't need to enter a product key—the setup program automatically provides the product key. If you create installation media, start your PC from the media, and then install Windows 8 Consumer Preview, you'll need to enter this product key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J.

Works effectively...thanks for your update:
)
m
0
l
!