Photo telephone

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

This question probably doesn't belong in this group, but it's a close
relative and I couldn't find any place more appropriate to ask it.

I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to
get them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.

I have a Canon Power shot camera and a cable came with it to download
photos using "Zoom Browser". Can I use the same same technique? The
plugs in the camera and phone are the same size and shape, but as I
recall I had to load some software and as I recall it was specifically
for the canon camera.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?? I hate to just start
"trying" things and maybe blow up my camera, cell phone or computer.

Thanks a lot--I will really appreciate some guidance --

Big John
11 answers Last reply
More about photo telephone
  1. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Big John wrote:
    > This question probably doesn't belong in this group, but it's a close
    > relative and I couldn't find any place more appropriate to ask it.
    >
    > I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
    > camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
    > appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to
    > get them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.
    >
    > I have a Canon Power shot camera and a cable came with it to download
    > photos using "Zoom Browser". Can I use the same same technique? The
    > plugs in the camera and phone are the same size and shape, but as I
    > recall I had to load some software and as I recall it was specifically
    > for the canon camera.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this for me?? I hate to just start
    > "trying" things and maybe blow up my camera, cell phone or computer.
    >
    > Thanks a lot--I will really appreciate some guidance --
    >
    > Big John
    I have the same phone, but I have to say that if you consider the
    pictures from this phone 'good snapshots', then your standards are
    unbelievably low. I have also not seen any way to get the pictures into
    my computer, other than the expensive alternative of emailing them to
    myself from the phone, but I don't feel they are of sufficient quality
    to WANT them on my computer.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  2. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Big John wrote:
    > This question probably doesn't belong in this group, but it's a close
    > relative and I couldn't find any place more appropriate to ask it.
    >
    > I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
    > camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
    > appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to
    > get them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.
    >
    > I have a Canon Power shot camera and a cable came with it to download
    > photos using "Zoom Browser". Can I use the same same technique? The
    > plugs in the camera and phone are the same size and shape, but as I
    > recall I had to load some software and as I recall it was specifically
    > for the canon camera.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this for me?? I hate to just start
    > "trying" things and maybe blow up my camera, cell phone or computer.
    >
    > Thanks a lot--I will really appreciate some guidance --
    >
    > Big John


    generally, you need a special phone tool software that can
    download/upload any types of files. For details info, ask the cell phone
    groups (arranged by carriers).
  3. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    "Big John" <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    news:zsTKe.372$UA1.76@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com...
    > This question probably doesn't belong in this group, but it's a close
    > relative and I couldn't find any place more appropriate to ask it.
    >
    > I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
    > camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
    > appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to get
    > them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.
    >
    > I have a Canon Power shot camera and a cable came with it to download
    > photos using "Zoom Browser". Can I use the same same technique? The plugs
    > in the camera and phone are the same size and shape, but as I recall I
    > had to load some software and as I recall it was specifically for the
    > canon camera.
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on this for me?? I hate to just start "trying"
    > things and maybe blow up my camera, cell phone or computer.
    >
    > Thanks a lot--I will really appreciate some guidance --
    >
    > Big John


    The images are 640x480...not worth trying to print.

    Mark
  4. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    In article <zsTKe.372$UA1.76@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
    Big John <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> wrote:
    >This question probably doesn't belong in this group, but it's a close
    >relative and I couldn't find any place more appropriate to ask it.
    >
    >I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
    >camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
    >appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to
    >get them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.

    I looked up the specs of your phone - it's pretty low end for a camera
    phone, in that there's no removable flash card on which you can store the
    photos, or even Bluetooth, which is going to make transfer tricky.

    It's also one of the 640*480 models, which are really only intended for
    picture-messaging. That may be the answer - send the picture as a multimedia
    message to yourself, but use your email address as the recipient instead of
    your phone number.
  5. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Hi,

    640x480 is a 0.3 megapixel camera. I remember my first Agfa digital
    camera which was a 640x480. Wonderful liitle beast.

    Recently, I saw one of the new phone cameras with a 2 megapixel sensor
    (can 8 or 9 be far behind?).

    In a related sense - some of you might enjoy the Toy Camera site
    (suggested by Ben Willmore) at: http://www.toycamera.com/

    Best,

    Conrad


    --
    Conrad
  6. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Big John wrote:
    > This question probably doesn't belong in this group, but it's a close
    > relative and I couldn't find any place more appropriate to ask it.
    >
    > I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
    > camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
    > appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to
    > get them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.

    Most of the wireless phone carriers require that you subscribe to an
    online picture or multimedia messaging service to retrieve the images
    off your cell phone. Alternatiely, you MIGHT be able to download the
    photos off the phone by buying a special cable and a program called
    Motorola Phone Tools, but that's not guarnateed to work. Check the
    motorola website, or doa google search for this.

    > I have a Canon Power shot camera and a cable came with it to download
    > photos using "Zoom Browser". Can I use the same same technique? The
    > plugs in the camera and phone are the same size and shape, but as I
    > recall I had to load some software and as I recall it was specifically
    > for the canon camera.

    Let me just say right now, that if you have a Canon Powershot and intend
    to take photographs that you can print, then the Motorola phone is NOT
    the device to be doing that with. While those photos look wonderful on
    your phone, keep in mind that the actual image resolution of a V220
    camera phone is a mere 640 x 480, or 0.3 megapixels. This might look
    good on a 320 x 200 cell phone screen, but it will barely render a
    postage-stamp sized photo on paper, or an extremely pixelated larger
    photo if you try to enlarge it. It's safe to say you'll be VERY
    disappointed with the results.

    You would do much better to keep taking photos with your Canon. You
    didn't say what model of Powershot you had, but I'd imagine it's at
    least 2 to 3 megapixels, if you have the cheapest model. And leave your
    phone's camera for sharing dinky little moments with fellow cell phone
    subscribers.


    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Big John <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> writes:

    >I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
    >camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
    >appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to
    >get them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.

    We have two of them. Nice phones, awful cameras. The images are
    640x480, and the autoexposure tends to blow out highlights. And there
    is sometimes the most awful colour moire effect on subjects with certain
    repetitive textures. It takes worse images than a 1994 Apple Quicktake
    100, which was also 640x480.

    But if you must get the images off the camera:

    1. You can buy the Motorola "Mobile Phone Tools" software. It may come
    with a suitable cable, or you might have to buy a USB cable (the camera
    uses a standard 5-pin micro-USB jack). This will let you move images
    and sounds to/from the phone, edit and back up your phonebook, etc.

    2. Your phone carrier may have provided a way to email the photo to a
    website where you can look at it (thus incurring data airtime charges).

    3. You may be able to email the photo to yourself.

    >I have a Canon Power shot camera and a cable came with it to download
    >photos using "Zoom Browser". Can I use the same same technique? The
    >plugs in the camera and phone are the same size and shape, but as I
    >recall I had to load some software and as I recall it was specifically
    >for the canon camera.

    You should be able to use the same cable (it's a standard USB variant),
    but you'll need the Motorola software for the phone.

    Dave
  8. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    > Big John <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> writes:
    >
    >
    >>I just bought a new Motorola V220 cell phone with a built in digital
    >>camera and I have been pleasantly surprised at what good snapshots it
    >>appears to take. The problem is, I've not been able to figure how to
    >>get them out of the phone and into my computer so that I can print them.
    >
    >
    > We have two of them. Nice phones, awful cameras. The images are
    > 640x480, and the autoexposure tends to blow out highlights. And there
    > is sometimes the most awful colour moire effect on subjects with certain
    > repetitive textures. It takes worse images than a 1994 Apple Quicktake
    > 100, which was also 640x480.
    >
    > But if you must get the images off the camera:
    >
    > 1. You can buy the Motorola "Mobile Phone Tools" software. It may come
    > with a suitable cable, or you might have to buy a USB cable (the camera
    > uses a standard 5-pin micro-USB jack). This will let you move images
    > and sounds to/from the phone, edit and back up your phonebook, etc.
    >
    > 2. Your phone carrier may have provided a way to email the photo to a
    > website where you can look at it (thus incurring data airtime charges).
    >
    > 3. You may be able to email the photo to yourself.
    >
    >
    >>I have a Canon Power shot camera and a cable came with it to download
    >>photos using "Zoom Browser". Can I use the same same technique? The
    >>plugs in the camera and phone are the same size and shape, but as I
    >>recall I had to load some software and as I recall it was specifically
    >>for the canon camera.
    >
    >
    > You should be able to use the same cable (it's a standard USB variant),
    > but you'll need the Motorola software for the phone.
    >
    > Dave

    OK!! Many thanks to everyone who responded! I think you made your case,
    and that is it's not worth the effort to try to get the photos out of
    the phone. I made the rounds of the local electronics stores this
    morning and sorta got the same from them. Unfortunately, many of the
    folks one is obliged to talk to in those places are lucky to find their
    way to work!! That's why I wanted the opinions of "those who know".
    Fortunately the camera phone was the same price as the other option, so
    nothing lost, I guess. It appears to make pretty good phone calls, which
    was the whole idea to start with.

    Thanks again!!

    Big John
  9. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Big John <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> writes:

    >Fortunately the camera phone was the same price as the other option, so
    >nothing lost, I guess. It appears to make pretty good phone calls, which
    >was the whole idea to start with.

    Yeah. I have the V220 because it was the cheapest and smallest
    quad-band GSM phone available, despite the camera and colour screen.
    I would have been happy without the camera and with a B&W screen (better
    battery life), but such phones no longer seem to be available from my
    chosen carrier.

    Dave
  10. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Conrad wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > 640x480 is a 0.3 megapixel camera. I remember my first Agfa digital
    > camera which was a 640x480. Wonderful liitle beast.
    >
    > Recently, I saw one of the new phone cameras with a 2 megapixel sensor
    > (can 8 or 9 be far behind?).
    >
    > In a related sense - some of you might enjoy the Toy Camera site
    > (suggested by Ben Willmore) at: http://www.toycamera.com/
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Conrad
    >
    >
    I believe there is already a 5mp camera/phone unit, for a price, of course.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
  11. Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

    Dave Martindale wrote:
    > Big John <watson6918@invalid.sbcglobal.net> writes:
    >
    >> Fortunately the camera phone was the same price as the other option, so
    >> nothing lost, I guess. It appears to make pretty good phone calls, which
    >> was the whole idea to start with.
    >
    > Yeah. I have the V220 because it was the cheapest and smallest
    > quad-band GSM phone available, despite the camera and colour screen.
    > I would have been happy without the camera and with a B&W screen (better
    > battery life), but such phones no longer seem to be available from my
    > chosen carrier.
    >
    > Dave
    My wife and I each have one, and we have found them quite satisfactory,
    from the phone standpoint. The camera is virtually useless. The phone
    has the best voice-dial operation I have seen, rarely failing to find,
    and dial, the right number.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Ask a new question

Read More

Photo Cameras