Sign in with
Your question
Closed

A world without AMD?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 7:06:33 PM

I recently started a thread asking about lack of AMD CPU suggestions. It was apparent people have very passionate feelings for their microchip manufactures. Back and forth bickering between the two camps to no end.

First, I should share that I personally have no loyalty towards either Intel or AMD. Own and have built systems from both companies.

What I am a fan of, is an underdog and competition. Clearly AMD has lost it's way and is teetering on the verge of extinction. For vendors and retailers this really doesn't matter because people are still going to buy. For consumers, and more specifically enthusiast this should be alarming. Regardless if you think the FX is a power hungry steaming pile excrement next to your i7, its in your best interest for AMD to flourish even if you never buy one of their products.

Why hasn't Intel released the consumer 8 core ivy or sandy extreme yet? Simple, they occupy the top all alone.

I'll ask this community of enthusiasts and experts what you think the PC landscape will look like if AMD closes its doors?

More about : world amd

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 7:21:33 PM

Hi :) 

It wont...

All the best Brett :) 
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 8:07:30 PM

Intel is already coasting. They use cheap thermal paste cutting about 500MHz off their Ivy Bridges. With good paste you can get them up to about 5GHz. Yes, Intel is toying with AMD and us.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 8:25:33 PM

Same way AMD toys with their GPUs,only releasing firmware to compete with nvidia and not for the sake of making them better.
Its called marketing.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 20, 2012 9:03:05 PM

blacknemesist said:
Same way AMD toys with their GPUs,only releasing firmware to compete with nvidia and not for the sake of making them better.
Its called marketing.

My guess is Intel cannot make Ivy Bridge processors fast enough for them to take over all their sales. This way, with them being marginally better, there still will be a strong demand for the Sandy Bridge ones. If they did make Ivy Bridges able to clock fully, everyone will want Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge fabs will be idol.

As of now Intel is really in the driver's seat with their cash on hand, fabs, and technology. But, in a few years we just may be seeing things change with diminishing need for more processors and not needing faster ones for PC's.
Score
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 20, 2012 9:20:03 PM

babernet_1 said:
My guess is Intel cannot make Ivy Bridge processors fast enough for them to take over all their sales. This way, with them being marginally better, there still will be a strong demand for the Sandy Bridge ones. If they did make Ivy Bridges able to clock fully, everyone will want Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge fabs will be idol.

As of now Intel is really in the driver's seat with their cash on hand, fabs, and technology. But, in a few years we just may be seeing things change with diminishing need for more processors and not needing faster ones for PC's.

Isn't that kind of the point. To get rid of/phase out the old so everyone will buy the latest and greatest. They have already phased out alot of Sandy Bridge CPU's.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2012 5:09:45 PM

Best answer selected by bjaminnyc.
Score
!