Sign in with
Your question

Another "Which GPU!?" thread.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2012 2:19:34 PM

I'm impatient, first and foremost. This impacts my budget for today vs my budget in the next few weeks. Currently I'm running on a pre-built (judge away) inspiron 620 with an i5 2320, 8GB of RAM, with a 5670 (ddr5) and the stock 300watt PSU. Currently I'm playing D3 at 1600x1050,(native monitor res), and generally get between 50-60fps with everything up but AA, and shadow detail on medium.
The problem:
I want more GPU power. Now I know if I want to pickup a beefy card, I need a new PSU. Been looking at some corsair/antec solutions at about 60-70dollars and no less than 500W continuous. I could probably save up enough for a 670 within a couple/few months based on my budget, however I want something a bit sooner. I can't swing a PSU AND card right now, and am mulling over just getting a 7750 until I can bite the bullet and upgrade both, or maybe just snagging the PSU now and covering the GPU when I get the chance, putting up with my performance as-is now.
It's tough finding a 1:1 FPS benchmark(in fps)comparison between the 7750 and 5670, and that's probably the only thing keeping me from impulse buying a 7750 and calling it even for now.

Suggestions/comments/hate-mail please? :) 

More about : gpu thread

a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 2:29:51 PM

smakadopolis said:
I'm impatient, first and foremost. This impacts my budget for today vs my budget in the next few weeks. Currently I'm running on a pre-built (judge away) inspiron 620 with an i5 2320, 8GB of RAM, with a 5670 (ddr5) and the stock 300watt PSU. Currently I'm playing D3 at 1600x1050,(native monitor res), and generally get between 50-60fps with everything up but AA, and shadow detail on medium.
The problem:
I want more GPU power. Now I know if I want to pickup a beefy card, I need a new PSU. Been looking at some corsair/antec solutions at about 60-70dollars and no less than 500W continuous. I could probably save up enough for a 670 within a couple/few months based on my budget, however I want something a bit sooner. I can't swing a PSU AND card right now, and am mulling over just getting a 7750 until I can bite the bullet and upgrade both, or maybe just snagging the PSU now and covering the GPU when I get the chance, putting up with my performance as-is now.
It's tough finding a 1:1 FPS benchmark(in fps)comparison between the 7750 and 5670, and that's probably the only thing keeping me from impulse buying a 7750 and calling it even for now.

Suggestions/comments/hate-mail please? :) 

IMHO - 7750 is not a worthy upgrade. Yes you want more GFX power, but it's almost like for like in that Both cards are 128 bit- 1gb mem, approx same performance (7750 will be much better with AA/AF turned on!, but apart from that not much of an upgrade) If you look at any of the GFX hierarchy charts you will see the comparison, or roughly what card is on the same level as your existing one. You should be aiming for a new card that is three tiers higher in the chart than your current card. Why pay for the 7750 and get roughly same performance, when you can save for another month or two, get something really decent, maybe 7850 or higher, and see some real performance from your system. Although saying that, with the dell machine they use proprietry MB and PSU. If your gonna have a new card with high power requirements, you might have to get a new PSU at the least, but then subsequently a new MB too! Good look with your descision!
m
l
Related resources
May 17, 2012 2:37:30 PM

I agree the 7750 is not worth upgrading too. I would buy a good Power supply (500W-600W minimum) and then get the 670 you talked about.The only other problem i see is if your going to keep your monitor (native resolution 1600x1050) then the 670 is overkill.
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:51:05 PM

Yea, that's what I was thinking for the 5670vs7750 question. Upgrading an entry level card with an entry level card doens't really make sense overall, but I haven't really seen any benchmarks with solid proof that it won't be a signifigant change. (Thus the question)

I was kinda thinking of picking a 670, even if it's overkill for a somewhat future proofing situation. I'm sure I'll be snagging mobo/cpu upgrades somewhere down the road, when I do incrimental upgrades. (which I always do) and having a beefy card would give me incentive to grab a newer monitor. Though mine has been quite serviceable, I'm looking for a spare for a second build I have anyways, so I can get a new one for the main, and just use the old one for the second computer I have. I dunno. Thanks for the feedback. :p 
m
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 2:51:51 PM

How can a 80% to over 100% (based on resolution) performance upgrade not be good?? Check the link in my thread above!
m
l
May 17, 2012 2:53:47 PM

Holy benchmarks! Rolli delivers. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 2:54:01 PM

+1 for saving a bit more but anything over a 7850 will be wasted unless you plan to keep that monitor and GPU for 3 or 4 years
m
l
!