Help, pc boots but no screen signal

Toto1212

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hello. The thread name pretty much tells it. Last night i was playing normally and everything worked just fine, but today when i turned it on, it booted and i heard the signing in sound from the speakers but no screen signal. I didn't change anything since the last time i used it so this is quite strange. Just 2 weeks ago i bought a new hdd and installed xp sp3 to it, and bought a small gpu improvement. Everything's worked perfectly these 2 weeks and then this happens.

I
- checked the cables, tried connecting different alternatives
- tried my older gpu which works
- removed and tried different combinations of ram
- disconnected from the power cable and held the startup button for some time
- resetted the cmos (battery and the small thing)
nothing of these worked

but after resetting cmos it got me two beeps instead for 1 in the beginning of booting and now i don't get the signing in sound

could anyone help?

Asus m2n62-cm, Asus vapor-x hd 4850, 4gb ram, amd athlon 64 x2 7750, 550w psu, xp sp3

Toto1212

Honorable
May 4, 2012
ok i resetted the cmos battery again and disconnected gpu and put the dvi-hd cable to the mobo, it booted normally and went to os. then i put back gpu and it boots normally but no signal..

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
OP, you say that your older gpu works correct? How about the one you just bought does it boot with it installed or no? Sounds like maybe your PSU isn't kicking enough power anymore or you may have a bad gpu.

Toto1212

Honorable
May 4, 2012
i meant that neither of the gpus work :) and this just came overnight, and the older one is certainly not broke i tried on other computer as well :p

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011

Ahh thanks for update! That's the PSU bro, get another PSU and give it a go. Can you test your current PSU on another machine?

Toto1212

Honorable
May 4, 2012
ah okay, don't have money for a new psu right now :/ but can it be the psu if it's been working 2 weeks no problem? thanks for the advice in advance!

Helltech

Distinguished
The PSU could have gone bad, or you could have pushed it to hard for two weeks and it caused it to fail. It would be more wise to test another PSU than to just buy one however.

Toto1212

Honorable
May 4, 2012
hmm okay well i have to try some of my friends' psu :) thanks for the advice. I had a bit more extreme gaming session yesterday though, diablo 3 and swtor for 12h or so :p

Ok just checking, just so you know graphics cards get upto 75W of power from the PCI-E lane so the fan and lights could come on without additional power from the PSU.

Does the HD 4850 work in another PC and have you tried the HD 4850 in another PCI-E lane on your motherboard (if it has more than one) ?

Toto1212

Honorable
May 4, 2012
I have only one pci-e lane but i've been thinking if the lane is broken because my older gpu, which is not broken, doesn't work there either :/ i noticed that some red light appears on the gpu on startup, it has a number 1601 or something. It's somekind of a critical temperature light but could it be caused by something else?

hmmm.... well if your other GPU worked before but doesn't now then the PCI-E lane could be damaged/faulty.

I'd test the card in another PC if possible as that red light doesn't look promising.

You just need to narrow down what could be the problem, at the moment it could be the GPU or motherboard, hence the need to test in another PC.