Sign in with
Your question

POST failing after installing an Asus 6770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2012 3:06:08 PM

I've just tried replacing a Radeon 4850 with a 6770 and the computer's now failing POST (no beeps). Switch back to the old 4850 and it works fine, try the 6770 again and POST fails again.

The original card is an Asus EAH4850, the new card is an Asus EAH6770
The motherboard's an ASRock G31M-S
The PSU's a Cooler Master 460 - no heavyweight, but it shouldn't have a problem with a 6770

The case & CPU fans spin up, but no beeps, and no other signs of life. The computer's all pretty vanilla (Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33 GHz with 4 GB of memory), and everything works as normal with the old card in (the reason for the replacement was the fan on the 4850 had failed).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Callum
a c 153 U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 3:11:03 PM

Could be the PSU, some cooler master PSUs are good, but some are horrible. Even if it has enough oomph to power the card, it might fail because of shoddy quality.

If possible test another PSU in your system, maybe a friends?

If not just RMA the card, its new and ASUS has good customer service.
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 17, 2012 3:11:22 PM

try to uninstall the video card driver with 4850 on, and after uninstall the drvier switch the HD 6770.
Related resources
May 17, 2012 3:16:56 PM

Hey OP did you try the card in another system? And I agree with first comment It sounds like your PSU doesn't like the card. Can you post the PSU model/specs for us?(there are different Cooler master 460w psu's) Im guessing the card is no good though. You said other card it boots but this one you get no beeps but fans spin up, it sounds like boots but the video card has no display.
May 17, 2012 3:21:37 PM

Helltech said:
Could be the PSU, some cooler master PSUs are good, but some are horrible. Even if it has enough oomph to power the card, it might fail because of shoddy quality.

If possible test another PSU in your system, maybe a friends?
Perhaps I had an unduly rosy perception of Cooler Master! Thank's for the suggestion, I'll try that.

cin19 said:
try to uninstall the video card driver with 4850 on, and after uninstall the drvier switch the HD 6770.
As it's failing at POST could the drivers be responsible? I'd assumed not, but will give this a go as well.

Thanks both,

Callum
May 17, 2012 3:26:39 PM

XmortisX said:
Hey OP did you try the card in another system? And I agree with first comment It sounds like your PSU doesn't like the card. Can you post the PSU model/specs for us?(there are different Cooler master 460w psu's) Im guessing the card is no good though. You said other card it boots but this one you get no beeps but fans spin up, it sounds like boots but the video card has no display.
I've not tried the new card in another PC yet - I've only one non-antique desktop at present so I'll pair trying the card in another computer with borrowing another PSU.

The PSU's an RS 460 PCAP A3

Thanks,
a c 196 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
May 17, 2012 4:08:24 PM

Well, what you've got there is a CM 430W PSU: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/550 ; not their worst, as the protection circuits are actually there and work, and I would think it ought to be able to run a HD6770. Still, you're probably uncomfortably near its limit.
The only two defective video cards I've ever gotten myself were Asus, and the one RMA I was able to return in time was to Newegg, which took care of it quickly. Asus motherboards are great, but I prefer HIS, Sapphire, or XFX for AMD video cards (and MSI or EVGA for nVidia cards).
May 17, 2012 4:10:55 PM

CallumF said:
I've not tried the new card in another PC yet - I've only one non-antique desktop at present so I'll pair trying the card in another computer with borrowing another PSU.

The PSU's an RS 460 PCAP A3

Thanks,

No problem bro, post back with results when you get the chance. Hope we help you resolve this. :) 
May 17, 2012 4:13:24 PM

Onus said:
Well, what you've got there is a CM 430W PSU: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/550 ; not their worst, as the protection circuits are actually there and work, and I would think it ought to be able to run a HD6770. Still, you're probably uncomfortably near its limit.
The only two defective video cards I've ever gotten myself were Asus, and the one RMA I was able to return in time was to Newegg, which took care of it quickly. Asus motherboards are great, but I prefer HIS, Sapphire, or XFX for AMD video cards (and MSI or EVGA for nVidia cards).

I had an 5870 that died on me within 3 months of purchase over a years ago I agree Asus cards ARE not the most reliable.
May 17, 2012 4:14:06 PM

You could also remove anything else on the 12V rails, and see if that works.
Start adding them back one-by one, trying to make sure no other device is on the same rail (as one has a max 18A [216W] output).
May 21, 2012 7:42:39 PM

Thanks for everyone's comments - it's turned out to be a duff card. My card wouldn't work in another computer, and another 6770 worked (mostly) in my PC.

Alas it's not 100%, certain resolutions aren't working (1152x864, 1360x1024, 1400x1050, 1600x900, and 1680x1050) with the screen just being black at those resolutions. I can't thing of any obvious link between those resolutions, they're a mix of 4:3 16:9, and 16:10, they're not all high-end resolutions. Annoying as I've gotten used to 1680x1050, and using 1440x900 instead makes everything feel huge & chunky. I initially assumed it would just be the drivers, but they're up to date (also tried rolling them back anyway, but the problem persisted.

Anyway, as I said - thanks for everyone's suggestions earlier.

Cheers,
!