Sign in with
Your question

Is it my PSU?

Last response: in Components
November 20, 2012 9:00:21 PM

Hello,,
today I bought a new monitor, and when I start a video game (MOHW or BF3), after 2 or 3 minutes the monitor says "D-SUB Power Saving Mode" and then it goes off, and pressing keys on keyboard or mouse doesn't do anything.
I tried changing power saving options from control panel and it didnt help.
before I use the new monitor everything was running fine on my old monitor(a very old acer lcd monitor).
I have read on another website that this might be caused by PSU, so is it really? and what do you recommend for the following specs?

specs:
my new monitor is LG Flatron E1942
my PSU is 550W
my graphics card is AMD Radeon 6850 1GB
CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 @ 2.33GHz
I have 2 cooling fans installed on the case

I know its kinda old but on my old monitor it used to run BF3 at Medium and MOHW on high.
thanks in advance

More about : psu

a b ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2012 9:44:26 PM

check the monitor set up. the sleep settings if the monitor has one. most new monitors if there an input to the screen should not shut off. your desktop video card in a game should not shut off unless there a power issue or heat. if your video card has two video headers i would start playing a game or run a game demo when the monitor goes dark unplug the cable and plug the old monitor in. myself i would think that the new monitor has a main board issue. if it under 30 days i would return it for another unit.
m
l
November 20, 2012 10:55:35 PM

thanks for replying
I checked the monitor settings and there was nothing helpful to the issue.
I noticed that the the whole PC crashes, not just the monitor goes black, because when this happens, there is no sound coming from the speakers, and also the Num lock light doesn't go off if I press the Num lock button on the keyboard.
I plugged my old monitor in and played MOHW for 45 minutes and everything was just fine, so now I guess the new monitor conflicts with my hardware?
now I am willing to return the new monitor but I am afraid I might have this issue if I buy another monitor as if the root of this issue might be in the current hardware.
sorry for the late reply.
m
l
a c 288 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
November 20, 2012 11:11:43 PM

A-skywalker-115 said:
thanks for replying
I checked the monitor settings and there was nothing helpful to the issue.
I noticed that the the whole PC crashes, not just the monitor goes black, because when this happens, there is no sound coming from the speakers, and also the Num lock light doesn't go off if I press the Num lock button on the keyboard.
I plugged my old monitor in and played MOHW for 45 minutes and everything was just fine, so now I guess the new monitor conflicts with my hardware?
now I am willing to return the new monitor but I am afraid I might have this issue if I buy another monitor as if the root of this issue might be in the current hardware.
sorry for the late reply.

Hi - are you using the d-sub (vga port)? If you are, maybe try using DVI port before you return the monitor.
It's a long shot, but I had issues with my 5yr old monitor that disappeared when I connected via DVI instead
of VGA (d-sub)

Tom
m
l
!