Sign in with
Your question

My monitor has just stopped working - randomly!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 17, 2012 3:24:29 PM

Not sure if this is the correct forum for such matters but here goes.

I've been doing up my old PC for a few weeks now and getting it kind of modernised as possible on such an old board (ASUS A8N, Geforce 9800GT) and it's been fun, getting Windows 7 up and running at a decent speed, upgrading the RAM etc.

Today I was using it and I put the PC to sleep. When I went to return, my monitor does nothing - it usually has an orange light when in sleep/standby mode - but nothing was happening, so I assumed the power lead must have fallen out of the back slightly, so I tried re-seating it. But no, no orange standby light. I then tried switching the PC off and back on, but wasn't very hopeful about this as even when my PC is off, the standby light on the monitor should still be lit. But there is nothing. I have even tried a different power lead and a different power-point, but it's just completely dead, just 20 minutes after it was working fine (as it always has done, with no problems)

I can't afford a new monitor any time soon and this has annoyed me somewhat. Seems putting the PC in sleep has caused something to go wrong (on the monitor side) but what?
May 17, 2012 3:28:00 PM

Edit: Probably should mention, it's a 17" TFT screen, Hanns G, HC174D (sorry but again this strange webpage will not let me use the edit function to edit my own posts!)
a b U Graphics card
May 17, 2012 3:31:40 PM

Hmm. Does it work on other computers? Does the computer make the startup noise when it turns on?
Related resources
May 17, 2012 3:34:30 PM

Do you have a spare video card around? i believe that board has an integrated geforce 61xx gpu. remove the 9800gtx and try to start it up IF you get no signal then you may have a bad monitor. Do you have any other computers or a friends you can take monitor to to test it?
May 17, 2012 3:38:41 PM

Thanks for the fast replies.

The computer still all starts up and POSTs with the beep etc, but the monitor will not even switch on manually - the power indicator LED is above the power button and when power is switched on at the mains, then the LED should be orange, but it's not even that, which seems to indicate a pretty serious problem with the monitor. I am confused how putting my PC in sleep mode can just totally destroy a monitor though.
May 17, 2012 3:45:08 PM

alex_ncfc said:
Thanks for the fast replies.

The computer still all starts up and POSTs with the beep etc, but the monitor will not even switch on manually - the power indicator LED is above the power button and when power is switched on at the mains, then the LED should be orange, but it's not even that, which seems to indicate a pretty serious problem with the monitor. I am confused how putting my PC in sleep mode can just totally destroy a monitor though.

Things like that happen bro sorry to hear about your monitor. It definitely sounds like the monitor. Probaly had a surge or spike when you restarted from sleep mode. The "bulbs" in the back of monitor shorted out. Have your tried taking out the 9800gtx and connect to internal vga adapter yet? just so we can rule out the card?
May 17, 2012 3:50:21 PM

Electronic devices such as monitors don't always give warnings when they are failing. It could easily be a coincidence that it failed during "sleep". Having said that the only real test is to replace it with a known working monitor and re-start the system. Unfortunately, this is the only way most computer users have to troubleshoot any failure. Other methods require very expensive laboratory equipment.
May 17, 2012 4:00:16 PM

Absolutely gutted :( 

I will see if I can find another system to try it with but I'm pretty sure the standby light should be showing regardless of whether it is hooked up to a VGA/DVI port. I may try it on my TV.

XmortisX - unfortunately this m/b does not have onboard graphics and I do not have another graphics card to try.
August 11, 2013 6:25:54 PM

alex_ncfc said:

I will see if I can find another system to try it with but I'm pretty sure the standby light should be showing regardless of whether it is hooked up to a VGA/DVI port. I may try it on my TV.

XmortisX - unfortunately this m/b does not have onboard graphics and I do not have another graphics card to try.

I find it odd how we have the exact same problem. Mine happened too when I put the computer asleep. I had recently put up a screensaver then left it. When I came back, the monitor would not work!
August 12, 2013 3:45:23 AM

ryon137 said:
alex_ncfc said:

I find it odd how we have the exact same problem. Mine happened too when I put the computer asleep. I had recently put up a screensaver then left it. When I came back, the monitor would not work!

Very frustrating isn't it. I never could get my monitor to get going again and it ended up in the tip - it was definitely the monitor that was dead as I am now using the same PC with a TV/LCD combo screen and it works fine. I still to this day have no idea what happened.
!