Solved

Is my system being bottlenecked?

I bought a Gamer Ultra 7500 from Cyberpower about 8 months ago. Don't bother telling me I overpaid, I was unfamiliar at the time and I know now I overpaid. I've been upgrading the computer a little bit, but I'm worried my system might be bottenecked. My main concern is my CPU. My specs are as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core @ 3.6Ghz
Board: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
RAM: Kingston HyperX (4GBx2) @ 1600Mhz
GPU: Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB OC Edition

Post if you need anymore info.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system bottlenecked
  1. Hello,

    Probably not much.
  2. I doubt it but it's possible
  3. it seems like it is fine.
  4. The only reason I'm asking is because I get an average of 70FPS in Minecraft, and only about 50 FPS in BF3 on High, my friend payed about 30 dollars less and got a NVIDIA card, a 560 TI, I think? Anyways, he gets about 150-200 FPS in Minecraft, and about 80 FPS on BF3 set to Ultra. He payed significantly more for his CPU, so I assumed it was my CPU that was bottlenecking me.
  5. Depends on what your "friends" system set up is (including resolution).

    Your FPS sounds about correct for your GPU and CPU combination, depending on your resolution.
  6. I play at 1920x1080.
  7. did you OC the cpu/gpu?

    did your buddy OC his gpu/cpu?
  8. Yeah thats about right.

    Multiplayer in BF3 takes up more CPU power, which the newest FX line was a bit weak at (it has lower IPC than intels' i5/i7).

    Do you not like the performance of your PC? IMO it's a great mid range PC, and the only reason to upgrade would be to get higher FPS.

    IMO stick with what you have, and just save up for a new platform for when you think you need a new computer (a couple of years?).
  9. Missed the first part of your question, my bad. He has some i5 processor that he payed about $250 for, sorry thats all I know other than that he has similar RAM and a NVIDIA 560 TI. He plays on a old monitor so its some odd resolution... 1152x864 or 1024x768, maybe?
  10. loops said:
    did you OC the cpu/gpu?

    did your buddy OC his gpu/cpu?

    My GPU comes over clocked from the reference 800mhz to 925mhz. My "buddy" is still on stock clock for a NVIDA 560 TI.
  11. Chainzsaw said:
    Yeah thats about right.

    Multiplayer in BF3 takes up more CPU power, which the newest FX line was a bit weak at (it has lower IPC than intels' i5/i7).

    Do you not like the performance of your PC? IMO it's a great mid range PC, and the only reason to upgrade would be to get higher FPS.

    IMO stick with what you have, and just save up for a new platform for when you think you need a new computer (a couple of years?).

    My message about my "buddy's" CPU was directed towards you, btw. My performance is okay, I guess. Never knew PC gaming was this expensive. I was looking for more, I guess. I always thought anything above a 2-way SLI was extreme over kill, but after finding out that with a single pretty high end card, you only get this? I no longer think that way. Can you recommend a CPU and or CPU that would work better than what I have now? I would like to keep temperature in mind. My "buddy" has a H100 from Corsair and his CPU is always extremely hot. I idle at like, 50*F with a pretty cheap, single 120mm fan self contained liquid cooler from Asetek. Also, later down the road, would you mind me messaging you to pick your brain on similar topics? Seems like you definitely know your stuff.
  12. Best answer
    angelsklutch said:
    My message about my "buddy's" CPU was directed towards you, btw. My performance is okay, I guess. Never knew PC gaming was this expensive. I was looking for more, I guess. I always thought anything above a 2-way SLI was extreme over kill, but after finding out that with a single pretty high end card, you only get this? I no longer think that way. Can you recommend a CPU and or CPU that would work better than what I have now? I would like to keep temperature in mind. My "buddy" has a H100 from Corsair and his CPU is always extremely hot. I idle at like, 50*F with a pretty cheap, single 120mm fan self contained liquid cooler from Asetek. Also, later down the road, would you mind me messaging you to pick your brain on similar topics? Seems like you definitely know your stuff.



    Ok. On your buddies CPU - you mentioned he might be playing at "1152x864 or 1024x768" which is a very low resolution for his hardware he's using (if he's using that resolution).

    The lower the resolution you play at - the more "taxing" it is on your CPU, and less taxing on your GPU. The higher the resolution you climb up to - the more the GPU is used.

    The GPU is still used for the lower resolutions, but don't have to work as hard, as sometimes you will see how a CPU performs in a game by the tester/reviewer by setting the resolution to say something like 800x600.

    As for a better CPU, IMO you would have to "upgrade" to a newer platform like Ivy Bridge which uses socket 1155. Something like an i5-3550 would be a good upgrade.

    However I still can't say you should get a new platform and spend money. Any newer CPU's for your specific computer wouldn't be much of an upgrade.


    One more thing - there are plenty of very knowledgeable people in this forum. Heck even more knowledgeable than me in some areas.
  13. Chainzsaw said:
    Ok. On your buddies CPU - you mentioned he might be playing at "1152x864 or 1024x768" which is a very low resolution for his hardware he's using (if he's using that resolution).

    The lower the resolution you play at - the more "taxing" it is on your CPU, and less taxing on your GPU. The higher the resolution you climb up to - the more the GPU is used.

    The GPU is still used for the lower resolutions, but don't have to work as hard, as sometimes you will see how a CPU performs in a game by the tester/reviewer by setting the resolution to say something like 800x600.

    As for a better CPU, IMO you would have to "upgrade" to a newer platform like Ivy Bridge which uses socket 1155. Something like an i5-3550 would be a good upgrade.

    However I still can't say you should get a new platform and spend money. Any newer CPU's for your specific computer wouldn't be much of an upgrade.


    One more thing - there are plenty of very knowledgeable people in this forum. Heck even more knowledgeable than me in some areas.

    Alright, thanks.
  14. Best answer selected by angelsklutch.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cyberpower Systems