Question on Questing vs Grinding

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really enjoyed
the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is tiny so no
real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my way to 57th
grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that required a group
or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.

Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but Im
wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..

If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing which
I need to go back for etc.

Any insight would be appriciated.

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:37:33 -0400, "Jeff D" <jdavism@nospam.cox.net>
scribed into the ether:

>Hi everyone,
>
>Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really enjoyed
>the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is tiny so no
>real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my way to 57th
>grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that required a group
>or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.
>
>Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but Im
>wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..
>
>If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing which
>I need to go back for etc.

None of the pre-50 quests really yield anything that you absolutely cannot
live without later on. There is always replacement gear from the high level
instances.

There are a lot of quests that do make your life considerably easier.
Quests that give bags, and some of the more interesting trinkets, for
example.

Some (well, most) classes have a quest or 3 which grants them additional
abilities within their class. A shaman who never does the air/fire/water
totem quests will be a boat-anchor to his party. Those you should certainly
do. There is also the issue of faction. If you don't have enough of it,
then affording things like mounts becomes a dicey proposition, and you
would be severely inconveniencing your group if you were perpetually slower
than everyone else.

I don't think you missed much if you solely want to go back to do them
for certain items. But you do miss a lot of gaming experience if you
didn't do them at least once. Despite my other posts on grinding, I do
think you should visit them for the experience itself. I was surprised
and enjoyed the final encounter of Deadmine; I saw and read Christian's
experience at Ulderman that make me want to visit. The game designers
have put some efforts in some of game instances that are worth seeing.

That being said, I understand that due to your odd work hours, small
guild and being a rogue which put you at the least desirable member for
instance grouping (well, slightly ahead of hunter :), it's more time
efficient for you to solo/grinding than looking for groups. But as
other people had done it, I believe you can stealth your way through
low level instances with relative easy.

Alternatively, pick a game server, start over with new class, and start
doing quests in group/guild member early on. For example, if you live
on the east coast, pick a European servers that add 5 - 6 hours ahead
of you, so it may be prime time there. Or pick a west coast server that
minus 3 hours. How to tell which server in which time zone, use

wowcensus.com

or

warcraftrealms.com

Jeff D wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really enjoyed
> the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is tiny so no
> real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my way to 57th
> grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that required a group
> or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.
>
> Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but Im
> wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..
>
> If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing which
> I need to go back for etc.
>
> Any insight would be appriciated.

Barry

"Jeff D" <jdavism@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
>
> Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really
> enjoyed the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is
> tiny so no real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my
> way to 57th grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that
> required a group or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.
>
> Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but
> Im wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..
>
> If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing
> which I need to go back for etc.
>
> Any insight would be appriciated.

At 57 I wouldn't really worry about it. Had you have quested, you'd just
have had some better equipment. Though this would have most likely been
replaced by doing quests later on etc. Get in a few instances around your
level now and you should get some good replacement stuff

"Jeff D" <jdavism@nospam.cox.net> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really enjoyed
>the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is tiny so no
>real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my way to 57th
>grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that required a group
>or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.
>
>Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but Im
>wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..
>
>If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing which
>I need to go back for etc.
>
>Any insight would be appriciated.

With a 56 rogue I'm pretty much in the same boat. One series of quests
which haven't been mentioned give you the poison skill. I'm assuming
you've done those. If not, time to get cracking. A rogue without
poison is like a Spring without a robin!

Tim

Matt Frisch wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:37:33 -0400, "Jeff D" <jdavism@nospam.cox.net>
> scribed into the ether:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really enjoyed
> >the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is tiny so no
> >real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my way to 57th
> >grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that required a group
> >or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.
> >
> >Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but Im
> >wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..
> >
> >If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing which
> >I need to go back for etc.
>
> None of the pre-50 quests really yield anything that you absolutely cannot
> live without later on. There is always replacement gear from the high level
> instances.
>
> There are a lot of quests that do make your life considerably easier.
> Quests that give bags, and some of the more interesting trinkets, for
> example.
>
> Some (well, most) classes have a quest or 3 which grants them additional
> abilities within their class. A shaman who never does the air/fire/water
> totem quests will be a boat-anchor to his party. Those you should certainly
> do. There is also the issue of faction. If you don't have enough of it,
> then affording things like mounts becomes a dicey proposition, and you
> would be severely inconveniencing your group if you were perpetually slower
> than everyone else.

Yeah you should do some quest for reputation. But its easy get.
In example, Im trying to get honored with Ironforge, Stormwind and "your" race
town (for mount). Gives 10% prices off so it might be worth it in the end. And of
course for your home town. This is easy to get, normally have it at lvl 20-25 if
you just do the quests. You probably are honored at the most important towns
anyway at that level. Instance quests is always nice but at that point, go and
search the high lvl instances quests.

--
Timps - Night Elf Hunter (60) on EU Burning Blade
Pimpadin - Dwarf Paladin (44) on EU Burning Blade

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:37:33 -0400, "Jeff D" <jdavism@nospam.cox.net>
> scribed into the ether:
>

>>Hi everyone,
>>
>>Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really enjoyed
>>the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is tiny so no
>>real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my way to 57th
>>grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that required a group
>>or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.
>>
>>Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but Im
>>wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..
>>
>>If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing which
>>I need to go back for etc.
>

> None of the pre-50 quests really yield anything that you absolutely cannot
> live without later on. There is always replacement gear from the high level
> instances.

Well some items are worth while, like the Masons Fraternity Ring from
Zul'Farrak. And for Hunters there's a very cool bow reward from
Maraudon. And good bows are hard to find.

On 2 Jun 2005 04:56:35 -0700, collection2002 wrote:

> That being said, I understand that due to your odd work hours, small
> guild and being a rogue which put you at the least desirable member for
> instance grouping (well, slightly ahead of hunter :), it's more time
> efficient for you to solo/grinding than looking for groups.

In the past few days, mostly during Molten Core and UBRS raids, I recorded
damage statistice using the excellent add-on "Recap" (see
curse-gaming.com). Rogues actually dealt frequently more damage than anyone
else. The only exception was one UBRS run with a crit%-item based mage, but
in in all other cases the rogues out-damaged everyone else. The difference
between hunters and rogues was fairly amazing (okay, that's just raw
damage, not utility). We never take more than three rogues to Molten Core,
but I (priest) have to admit that I find well-played rogues (one out of
ten) to be quite an asset to the group (I found them to be very undesirable
in groups right up to hitting 60). I also appreciate well-played hunters,
but those are even more rare. :)

M. (whose new-hobby is to out-heal other priests and pesky druids! ;))
--
ClamWin, an open source antivirus software for Windows:
http://www.clamwin.com/

Tim

Azeus wrote:

> Matt Frisch wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 23:37:33 -0400, "Jeff D" <jdavism@nospam.cox.net>
> > scribed into the ether:
> >

> >>Hi everyone,
> >>
> >>Just a quick question, I play a rogue on PvE server and have really enjoyed
> >>the game, mostly been odd hours with work and all and my guild is tiny so no
> >>real guild groups etc, so what I've basicly done is worked my way to 57th
> >>grinding. I've done some quests but not all, anything that required a group
> >>or that I out leveled I basicly deleted.
> >>
> >>Im wondering if this gimped me a bit, I mean, Im not having problems but Im
> >>wondering if I've missed things that are REQUIRED by high-levels etc..
> >>
> >>If so I'd like to try to work on them but I dont know a way of ID'ing which
> >>I need to go back for etc.
> >

> > None of the pre-50 quests really yield anything that you absolutely cannot
> > live without later on. There is always replacement gear from the high level
> > instances.
>
> Well some items are worth while, like the Masons Fraternity Ring from
> Zul'Farrak. And for Hunters there's a very cool bow reward from
> Maraudon. And good bows are hard to find.

Yeah but I mean its not really worth going back and so all stuff at lvl 57. Should
be more worth going "forward" instead. At that level I dont think its worth going
for the bow either. (Im at the 62 Quest in Eastern Plaguelands that gives the
31dps bow, just need a team :eek:)

--
Timps - Night Elf Hunter (60) on EU Burning Blade
Pimpadin - Dwarf Paladin (44) on EU Burning Blade
Ängel - Human Priest (32) on EU Burning Blade

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-06-03, Michael Vondung <mvondung@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the past few days, mostly during Molten Core and UBRS raids, I recorded
> damage statistice using the excellent add-on "Recap" (see
> curse-gaming.com). Rogues actually dealt frequently more damage than anyone
> else. The only exception was one UBRS run with a crit%-item based mage, but
> in in all other cases the rogues out-damaged everyone else. The difference
> between hunters and rogues was fairly amazing (okay, that's just raw
> damage, not utility). We never take more than three rogues to Molten Core,
> but I (priest) have to admit that I find well-played rogues (one out of
> ten) to be quite an asset to the group (I found them to be very undesirable
> in groups right up to hitting 60). I also appreciate well-played hunters,
> but those are even more rare. :)

Were these rogues backstabbing a lot? Currently I'm useful to
groups because I stunlock a lot but I'm not a dagger rogue so I
don't BS or ambush. Currently this is great when fighting caster
mobs.