I get power on ONLY after i clear cmos... HELP!

elcrni

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hi guys and gals,

My name is Alek and i have a problem :)

Got my new PC today and installed all the pieces by myself as i did tents of times before, nothing i am unfamiliar with...

MB Asus P8Z77-M PRO
CPU Intel i7 3770k
Ati radeon HD6850

RAM 2x4GB 1600 Kingston Hyper X

PSU 600W

Now, the problem:

Once i've installed all the components, plugged in the power cable and hit power up button... nothing happened, no beeps, no lights, no fan movement... NOTHING, just as i haven't hit the power button at all.
Small green bulb on mobo glows all the time.

As i have ather 6 similar PC's in my home, i've tried another PSU... no luck.

I have tried another RAM sticks... no luck.

I have tried another graphic card... no luck.

Tried another HDD (i was going to install vista on one of my 2-3 years old HDD, Hitachi SATA)... no luck

Tried removing everything except from CPU... no luck.

Tried to change the battery and that's where i did get some luck... after returning the mobo battery, hit the power button and the PC powered up and booted normally. I've installed vista, went trough a few restarts...drivers...more restarts... everything went just perfect.

In some moment, i had to shut down the PC and guess what :) PC is dead again, no lights, no beeps, no fan movement, no post... nothing/dead, just like in the beginning.

So, my PC wont turn on unless i first clear the CMOS either with jumper or by pulling out the battery. Clearing CMOS works every time but i simply cant keep resetting it until the rest of my life :)

If someone has an idea of what the problem may be, i would appreciate it very very much!

Many thanks in advance,
Alek

elcrni

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
thanks guys!

tried another GPU, no luck.

As for the firmware, you mean BIOS update?

Many thanks,
Alek

there is new firmware for there mb us a usb fat formated usb stick and use the usb flash back on the back of the mb..you dont need the mb powered on..just rename the flash file..hold the buton in for 3 sec and let it go..start with the lowerst number bios number and go up dont jump to the last one.
also did you see the footnote when you bought your mb??
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77M_PRO/#specifications
windows vista is not supported by the chipset of this mb..you need windows xp or latter.
if your in school you can get windows 7 at a reduced cost..or you can install windows 8 right now for free.
ps firmware is another name for bios updates.

BIOS update is a bit of a misnomer, even more so considering Asus boards now use a UEFI implementation with a PC BIOS compatibility layer but yes.

elcrni

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
@ smorizio

I have just noticed that footnote but one thing still bothers me...

I am now typing from that PC and running vista with excellent performance, the PC works like a charm its just i cant shut it down or i must clear cmos again...

Updating BIOS now, will be back in a few moments, pray for me :)

Thanks guys!
Alek

elcrni

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

Was thinking about that actually :)

My window is not high enough i am afraid, i want total destruction :)

Cheers.
Alek

festerovic

Distinguished
I would strip down the system, and assemble just the required parts out of the case. You may have something wired incorrectly. Not assuming you messed up, but to me the options are: rebuild system and try again, or, the mobo is bad in some way. Have you contacted support?

phantajisto

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013

I'm having the exact same problem with the same mobo. Did you find a solution in the end?