the_thr34t

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me find out what is wrong with my custom built PC.

Specs:
-Intel Core i7 2700k
-Asus P8Z77-V LK
-Corsair Vengeance 2x8 GB 1600 Mhz and Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1866 Mhz
-Rosewill Hive Series 750W PSU
-Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM
-Radeon 6950

So I put everything inside my case and powered on my machine, however, I get no POST or beeps. Additionally, the fans will start spinning, then they all stop, then they start spinning again without stopping unless I power off the machine. The DRAM_LED gives off a solid red light which according to the motherboard manual, indicates a RAM issue of some type.

I tried 1 stick at a time, I tried removing everything that isn't a core component, I called support and they said the ram was compatible.

Now here's the part I don't get.

At first, I had 2x8 G.Skill 1333 Mhz RAM, and I was getting the same error, so I thought the RAM was defective. I returned it to newegg and bought the corsair vengeance, but I still get the problem.

After this, I figured maybe the mobo was defective, so I returned that and got a new mobo (same model) and the problem is still there.

I know it can't be the PSU or the GPU, I put both of those in my old machine and they both worked flawlessly.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point, I want to get this fixed asap as it was expensive.

Solution
What I would recommend is to pull it completely apart. Double check the pins for the cpu and make sure they aren't bent. Carefully put it back together one piece at a time. there is a link under my sig that will walk you through the steps and are very important that you follow them. One wrong, missing or not fully seated power plug is all it takes to start giving you those kinds of problems. Please follow those steps. Oh, and I would only use the 2 X 4 GB sticks of memory for the initial installation. Out of curiosity, what are the exact model numbers for the all memory you are using? They should at least be capable of the same speeds and voltages out of the box without having to do any tweaking.

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
a month ago i had kinda same problem i had a asrock 970 extreme 3 board and by sound of it was doing the same. i got 16gb of vengeance ram and none wood work in that i had to go back to my 4x2gb ripjaws which worked fine i think ur problem comes down to your motherboard (think!) how did i solve this problem i had a spare grand so got my dream computer lol. i think it is compatibility isssues tho

could be a few things..one it could be a dead ram slot on your mb..had my first asus mb with one with two dead slots..found out by moving one ram stick into each of the slots. stick worked in two slots and not in the other two..the cpu not seated right or there bent pins under it. (new mb ram controllers are in the cpu not the mb.) if you have a local micro center or computer store see if they have some other ram you can try or see if a friend has a few spare dimms. also try posting the mb on the mb box outside the case..just to rule out the mb shorting out. also the new asus mb if your usign an after market heat sink make sure your not over tighting it..you can cause ram..no post issues if you do..also check that the backplate of the heat sink not shorting out the mb.

suteck

Distinguished
What I would recommend is to pull it completely apart. Double check the pins for the cpu and make sure they aren't bent. Carefully put it back together one piece at a time. there is a link under my sig that will walk you through the steps and are very important that you follow them. One wrong, missing or not fully seated power plug is all it takes to start giving you those kinds of problems. Please follow those steps. Oh, and I would only use the 2 X 4 GB sticks of memory for the initial installation. Out of curiosity, what are the exact model numbers for the all memory you are using? They should at least be capable of the same speeds and voltages out of the box without having to do any tweaking.

Solution