Who uses a mechanical keyboard? Please Chime in....

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm jumping into mechanical keyboard but don't know who is the best. This is for only gaming as well as internet surfing. Mostly for gaming though. MMO's and FPS's. I see the Cherry MX are the best. Partical Mechanical is good or total?

Any ideas? Logitech? Razer? Cooler Master? Corsair

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
I own the Mech 5 which is great! As far as which keys to use there is no best, Cherry MX reds are just used a lot for gaming.
Here is what the differences are:

Cherry MX Brown:
They have a tactical "bump" which this is best for a more silent keyboard as well as that they are most like normal keyboards. Many people don't like them for this reason, they are still mechanical but are more like normal keyboards overall.
e2cdd50a78.gif

Cherry MX Blue:
These are better for typing, not that great for gaming for what I know. My friend has one of them and they do have a tactical "click" to them. About half way down the key press is makes a nice clicking sound which helps you not bottom out the key but is sort of annoying while playing a game. Another thing you may want to know is that they have a lighter key press then the browns.
dbe6e9caad.gif

Cherry MX Black:
These are "smooth" no sounds, everything is good. Although the only way to tell if your pressing the key is if you look at the screen. These are about as hard to press as the browns, which I own one and unlike my friends lighter (the blue keys) there are better for gaming for what I tried.
e4c2fb73c9.gif

Cherry MX Red:
Same as the blacks but with a lighter key press, lighter then the blues as well. These are good, although I have not tried them since I tried blue and this is lighter I see this may get annoying with accidental key presses.
1dc06464b9.gif

melikepie

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011

Although it's oppinion, people prefer red over all of them because it's the lightest key (you don't have to touch it that hard) and does not click or bumb. Although I use the blacks I know they are a bit better for not pressing keys you dont wan't to although I still would pick red over what I have. For gaming I recommend black or red, if you don't care about accedently pressing keys get red otherwise consider black.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I saw the razer. Has a lot of reviews. Thanks guys. I think Best Buy near me has a few mechancial keyboards. I'll check them out and see which one (black or red) I feel comfortable with.

In FPS, do they actually give a slight advantage to "regular" keyboards or gaming keyboards such as the Logitech G15?

boyabunda

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Yes. When you have adjusted to the feel of the mechanical keyboard, it will give you a slight advantage because you don't have to bottom-out the key when you press it for it to register.

It will also improve your typing.

boyabunda

Honorable
May 22, 2012

My advice is to personally try all the switches. I have tried all the keys when I purchased my mechanical keyboard. The store where I bought mine, they let you try all the switches. My plan was to buy black switches the SteelSeries ones I think, but ended up buying a brown switch Ducky keyboard.

I like the bump it gives, although it is not as quiet as a black or red.

boyabunda

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Yeah Ducky Shine 2 you can find demos on Youtube they're very nice. What I have is an old model, 1008, it has no sweet LED backlight which is sad LOL. Those Ducky Shines are expensive.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I saw the Mircrocenter by me has many mechanical keyboards. I didn't see them when I bought the i7-3770k recently. They must of got a shipment for Black Friday! They have the CM, Corsair, Razer, Logitech g710+, thermaltake, Adesso and the are all Cherry Red with the exception of one brown and a black.