$800-1000 Photo/Video Editing Build - No Gaming

Kjelon

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as I'm settled on parts (1-2 weeks at most hopefully)
Budget Range: $800-1000 all in
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Premiere, Photoshop, Bluray ripping, web, MS Office
Parts not required: Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, but open to anything
Location: Richmond, VA (can travel to Microcenter in Fairfax easily if necessary)
Parts Preferences: None
Overclocking: Maybe (not sure how much benefit I'll get for my usese)
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: Will be upgrading to 1920x1080 shortly (maybe sooner, depending on final build cost)

Additional Comments:
-I'm sure my current picks are overkill for my uses, but I rather go too big and have a rig that will last for a few years before upgrading.
-I would like to turn this box into my home server in a few years when time to replace, so items that would also work well for that use would be great.
-I currently have a server with the majority of my data on it and don't think I need a very large data disk for this build because of that. Right or wrong?
-Would overclocking be of any use to me for my needs? If not, does it make sense to use a z77 board or should I use the h77 chipset?

My current picks: ($816)
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Optical Drive: LITE-ON Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Internal 12X Blu-ray Combo Model ihes112-04 - OEM
Disk Drive: SanDisk Extreme SDSSDX-120G-G25 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Case: LIAN LI Lancool First Knight Series PC-K9WX Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Card Reader: AFT PRO-55U All-in-one USB 2.0 Card Reader

No power supply or memory identified yet.

Thanks in advace for the help.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
Wow, I used to live in Richmond... but anyway...

Depends on the kind of video you are editing as to how much local storage you will need. Certainly you can count on all of your video files needing to be on the local machine while you are editing, you cannot host the video files on the remote server and expect any kind of editing performance. 120 GB isn't much video... once again, depends on the size of your projects.

I notice you haven't specified a GPU... you're planning on editing with Premiere but are going to use onboard video? or did you just pass that over in the specs? You need an NVIDIA graphics card in the machine to make use of the CUDA acceleration in Premiere CS5+ and as you can see from several different reviews here on Tom's, the GPU acceleration makes a huge difference.

bliq00

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Core i5-3570K - $189.99
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388577
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 - $89 (after $50 bundle savings)
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0387554

in store only but you said you were close to one.

these two alone will save you $80.

I'm not a fan of the sandforce SSDs. Personally I like the Vertex 4 for the same price.
Not as fast out of the box as the sandforce, but everest 2 drives will retain more of its performance over time (i.e. will return to out of box level of performance after TRIM. Sandforce drives do not)

tuganu

Honorable
May 23, 2012
So no gaming just video editing. note I am doing this to prices in Australia. ALOT OF THINGS WILL BE CHEAPER IN USA.
i7 3770 (or K if your overclocking) - 315$
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H - 175$
16GB G.skill ARES - 112$
For the GPU it is your choice. but HD 6870 or GTX 560ti is good
WD Caviar Black 1TB (no need for SSD, you can upgrade later)

Kjelon

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Thanks for all the input so far.

- I probably should have been a bit more specific in the OP. I am only doing basic editing on home movies and amatuer photography. My video files are normally under 5GB unedited. I use Premeire Elements, so not nearly as in depth as CS5. My working plan was to move files onto the local storage to work on them and then back to the server for storage/sharing. I realize a smaller local storage drive probably would be a better option now.

- I didn't include a GPU in my original parts list because I wasn't sure how much I would gain from one over the onboard graphics of Ivy Bridge (as I said, I'm a bit out of touch). I don't think Elements provides the ability to do video acceleration, so I didn't know whether I would get better benefit from spending that money elsewhere.

- I'm still curious if I'll see much of a difference in overclocking for my uses or if that's somewhere to save my money and time.

Thanks again