Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Questions about upgrading my CPU

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 20, 2012 11:56:19 PM

Hi, I am currently trying to upgrade my dual core AMD Athlon up to an AMD Phenom II X6.

I know how to physically upgrade the CPU, and I checked the Data sheet and information of my motherboard to make sure it was compatible. I was just wondering if I would need to flash/update my BIOS or something. I Don't really know how to update my BIOS and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

For Reference, I'm posting a few links of some parts.

This is my current Motherboard

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...

This is the CPU I am going to upgrade into

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Phenom-1045T-2-70GHz-Processo...
a c 78 à CPUs
November 21, 2012 2:39:23 AM

Wont work, 2 reasons.
First off the 1045T requires an AM3+ socket
Second the 6X "T" coded Phenom II's internal memory controllers only support DDR3

m
0
l
November 22, 2012 2:37:26 AM

It does?

I looked into the specifications of the processor and it has it listed as am AM3 socket. It's also listed as one of the compatible CPU's under the Motherboard page I listed.

So I would just need to pretty much build a new computer then?
m
0
l
Related resources
November 22, 2012 3:15:38 AM

I'd contact Biostar first. It should work.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 3:31:04 AM

Well I contacted them and they said it would be fine. Got the processor today and installed it and the computer booted up fine and everything.

The one problem I'm having is that when I run CPU-Z to check the CPU it has the processor listed as an unknown processor and pegs it at 800 Mhz per core.

I looked this problem up online and people are saying its the AMD cool and Quiet throttling down the CPU, so I went into the motherboard BIOS and disabled the Cool and Quiet and I am still reading it in at 800 Mhz. I've tried loading the CPU to increase CPU speed by playing video games, running scans etc but no matter what I do it stays at 800 Mhz.

I'm not really sure how much of a problem this is though. Although it is reading in at 800 Mhz on CPU-Z, I was able to max out games such as Battlefield Bad Company 2, Mass Effect 2, etc. I think the processor is working, I just want to make sure it can work at maximum capacity.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 3:32:47 AM

What does HWInfo32 show?
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 4:28:39 AM

NV88 said:
What does HWInfo32 show?


It shows the same 800 Mhz that the CPU-Z is showing. I'm pretty sure the Cool and quiet is still messing me up somehow. I'm able to play games that require a minimum dual core 2.4 Ghz at 60 FPS, but then I'll play a lower tier game such as Starcraft 2 or League of Legends and the game will randomly start lagging and chugging at different points in the game.

Is there any way to completely disable the Cool and Quiet? I think it's throttling my CPU down while i'm in the midst of playing video games at times. I have the Cool and Quiet set as DISABLED in the BIOS, but I don't think it did anything.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 4:33:29 AM

Do you have the latest BIOS?
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 4:36:34 AM

NV88 said:
Do you have the latest BIOS?


I'm not sure. The Biostar representative I talked with just told me it should work if I just put the replaced the 2 CPU's. It booted up fine and the BIOS reads the processor correctly. The only problem I'm having is the CPU is being throttled down and I can't get it to stop.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 5:46:22 AM

Okay NONE OF THE PHENOMS ARE AM3+! lol
So ignore that guy I'm sure your motherboard supports it. There a few ways to do it sometime you can just download it on your hdd from the web and when you go to update your motherboard in bios your motherboard will find it for you. Sometimes you have to use a thumb drive and download the update onto the thumb drive. or you can burn in onto a cd.

If you go to bioster.com and find your motherboard support page. Go to cpu support list and it should show What update version you need to make that cpu work with your motherboard because you may not need to update your motherboard.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 6:08:15 AM

cmi86 said:
Wont work, 2 reasons.
First off the 1045T requires an AM3+ socket
Second the 6X "T" coded Phenom II's internal memory controllers only support DDR3

wrong, wrong



should work fine.


throttling down should only happen when the cpu is hitting thermal threshold.
check your temps and maybe even reapply thermal compound if so.
cool n quiet should only throttle down when the cpu is not in use.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 3:49:35 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
wrong, wrong



should work fine.


throttling down should only happen when the cpu is hitting thermal threshold.
check your temps and maybe even reapply thermal compound if so.
cool n quiet should only throttle down when the cpu is not in use.



Well I re-called Biostar and they told me that I had to flash my BIOS and update it so that the motherboard can properly read my processor.


My motherboard is listed below, but I'm not really sure how to get the BIOS update I need. I've installed an AMD phenom II X6 model 1045. If someone could show me how to do this that would be great. I assume I just click on the download tab and download the BIOS utility and run that but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to brick my motherboard doing it.

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 4:24:14 PM

there is a risk by flashing bios, but each company typically has a bio utility that you need to use. just follow their instructions and it should be fine.
you will need to put in your older cpu to do this then switch them back after the bios switch
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 4:30:50 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
there is a risk by flashing bios, but each company typically has a bio utility that you need to use. just follow their instructions and it should be fine.
you will need to put in your older cpu to do this then switch them back after the bios switch


Ok so i downloaded the utility off the motherboard page I listed.

When i run the exe file, a box comes up with an option of UPDATE BIOS and BACKUP BIOS.

So what I should do is just re-install my old CPU and press UPDATE BIOS, then install my new CPU? Is there any other file I need to download? How will the updater know what Processor to get the BIOS for?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 5:06:36 PM

you need to contact biostar. the utility is different for each manufacturer.

with that said, it sound to me that you should install your old cpu, update bios.
when that is done, put the new one in, and you should be ready to go.
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
November 27, 2012 3:36:34 AM

bobbybamf12 said:
Okay NONE OF THE PHENOMS ARE AM3+! lol
So ignore that guy I'm sure your motherboard supports it. There a few ways to do it sometime you can just download it on your hdd from the web and when you go to update your motherboard in bios your motherboard will find it for you. Sometimes you have to use a thumb drive and download the update onto the thumb drive. or you can burn in onto a cd.

If you go to bioster.com and find your motherboard support page. Go to cpu support list and it should show What update version you need to make that cpu work with your motherboard because you may not need to update your motherboard.


No none of the phenoms are "AM3+, quote on quote" How ever the thubans do require AM3+ boards for their additional power features. Ok yeah ignore me... that's why his CPU is "unknown" and running at 800mhz...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2012 5:03:32 AM

Thubans were released before am3+ boards were out.
You're telling us nobody could run them on the 890 chipset?
That's funny
m
0
l
a c 78 à CPUs
November 27, 2012 2:27:43 PM

Hey all I am saying is I have seen this issue time and time again, especially on low end biostar boards and there always seems to be some kind of issue. In my researches it boils down to these cheap am3 boards lacking somewhere in their voltage managment/supply that causes thubans to run as unknown and 800 mhz by default of a lowered multi.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 27, 2012 5:08:05 PM

I would say get a new board if the bios flash doesn't work, cause biosuck didnt get that reputation for no reason
m
0
l
!