Intel HD 3000 + add-on card for triple monitor output

revfarquhar

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Hello, my work computer was just "upgraded" to a new HP with integrated HD 3000 graphics and I was wondering if I could get my 4 monitor output back with simply adding a secondary video card (8800 GS specifically).

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Solution
you cant literally "add" a discrete video card. the video data will either be processed by intel's integrated video, or the discrete video card. the one not processing video data will be disabled. so sorry to say, but you can't get your 4 monitor output back by adding a 8800 GS since the 8800 GS cannot support 4 monitor output by itself
you cant literally "add" a discrete video card. the video data will either be processed by intel's integrated video, or the discrete video card. the one not processing video data will be disabled. so sorry to say, but you can't get your 4 monitor output back by adding a 8800 GS since the 8800 GS cannot support 4 monitor output by itself

Solution

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Unfortunately no, your going to need something with more power then 8800GS. The feature you are talking about is available on some AMD platforms I believe. You need a decent video card for 4 monitors. Intel HD will only support 1.

that's card doesn't give a true 4 monitor set-up. the bundled adapters will allow you to drive 4 monitors sure, but it actually only supports independent monitor set ups. essentially if you hook up 4 monitors to it, it'll treat them as 2 pairs of 2 monitors. each monitor pair will be used like one giant desk-top

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Thats true, but you'll still be getting the same resolution real estate.