I think Falcon's Dust-Off killed my bit-coin miner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

l1nks

Honorable
May 7, 2012
I had just purchased 3 used 5870s to get back into bit-coin mining, and bought a asus crossair v-formula and a 1045t, i had an old corsair psu also, i built the system, booted up just fine, but before i put it in the corner of my room to mine for the next 3 years i figured i might-as-well dust off-the cards and psu, but i was out of canned-air, so i told my wife to pick up some when she was out, she brings me home this 6 pack home from costco of falcon's dust-off, i sprayed off my psu and graphics cards, as one does, the next day, i boot up the system, can't get it to boot, keep trying all day nothing, i get home from the gym, try again and my psu makes pops, shoots out a huge spark, (think i saw one around the gpus too, which is making me afraid)

also is there any real way of knowing which if any parts are still good? lol...

Solution
Amazon reviews has a guy say that his dust off contained lots of water/liquid...

nowhere does it state it should be used for circuitry...

A quick look on wikipedia shows that it is not just compressed air. It is a refrigerant based cleaner and they add a "bitterant" to make it less prone to solvent abusers.
I doubt the spray air messed it up. The PSU was probably just not good enough.

You won't be able to determine the damage other than with trial and error.

Start by getting a new PSU that is definitely going to work. The 5870s are from the energy hog days so you probably want to aim for a solid branded 850 - 950w.

Once you have that, drop back to 1 video card and try to turn it on. Then switch it out with another one and try to turn it on. Record the results so you don't forget what works and what doesn't.

If all 3 cards work individually, then try them in pairs or 3 way.

l1nks

Honorable
May 7, 2012

i was using a 1000w psu, by old i don't actually mean old, i mean i was using it in a previous build, and corsairs don't typically fail after 1 and a half years.

I have been around long enough to see plenty of working Corsair PSUs die after half a day of total usage. You just turn the computer off after installing everything on day 1 and it doesn't ever come back on. It is like the computer version of SIDS.

If you want me to know that it is a Corsair 1000w PSU and factor that into my analysis, you might want to say it before I actually make my analysis.

Feel free to cough up any other important information as well.

My recommendations remain the same as they were in the above post.

Look on Newegg to find a high wattage PSU with an award from either Hardware Secrets or JohnnyGuru. If you don't think 1000w is enough, then go higher than that. Pick out of the ones that have awards from one of those two websites and buy it.

Then do the tests as I mentioned.

americanbrian

Distinguished
Amazon reviews has a guy say that his dust off contained lots of water/liquid...

nowhere does it state it should be used for circuitry...

A quick look on wikipedia shows that it is not just compressed air. It is a refrigerant based cleaner and they add a "bitterant" to make it less prone to solvent abusers.

Solution

americanbrian

Distinguished
And the falcon didn't kill it. You did when you decided to spray unknown aerosols into your expensive rig.

I think you should chalk this up to a lesson learned. An expensive lesson.

I kind of want to feel bad for you but can't quite get over the blindly spraying down your machine with random crap in a can.

l1nks

Honorable
May 7, 2012

lol it's alright, i was too fast, wanted to just get it all done, thanks for your information, and hopfuly this will teach at least a few more people to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.