Sign in with
Your question

Only One PC, So Many Things To Run

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2012 12:55:37 AM

Hello,
I hope you all understand that some of us can only afford to build ONLY ONE PC in their whole life, so I am thinking of making it the perfect PC for my needs of course.
So, I need to do all of the following stuff with my single and (the only at least for 10 years to come I hope) future PC:

1- Engineering Apps and Technical Computing using MATLAB.

2- Programming using Visual C# 2012 and Delphi

3- AutoCAD Electrical some times.

4- Simulation software.

5- Office (Word Excel PowerPoint) lots of it.

6- Adobe Photoshop Image manipulation and design. sometimesز

7- Some gaming and I play heavy games some times too.

8- The usual stuff (Net/Music/Movies)

So,, I am thinking of building a new System that is able to do every one of the above, but I noticed some things that made me confused a little bit.
For example, Some sites said that i7 3770K is perfect for games not for other stuff, while some sites suggest that i7 3930K is best for everything but gaming.

So , could any one please suggest a full PC specs that may give me no compromise performance.

So far I reached The Following Config:
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower
MoBo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K
GPU: Asus GTX 670 DC II
RAM: Corsair Dominator Kit 32GB 1866MHz
HDD: Seagate barracuda 3TB 10000rpm
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200
Cooler: Corsair H100

So,, how would the above specs do for me, and I am open to any other suggestion or even a full configuration makeover.

Please let me know what do you think.

More about : things run

a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 3:53:03 AM

That looks like a good build there. Usually 32 GB of RAM is overkill but it's good in your case because it is fast and is future proof. As for Your case, it is way to expensive, everywhere I look, it is around 400 to 500 bucks. I would go with something cheaper and just as effective, like either a coolermaster storm trooper, or a coolermaster storm stryker, or a coolermaster HAF -x 942 case. These are all gaming cases, and the great thing about gaming cases is they have great airflow, and are durable to move around because they are meant for LAN parties and other events. Once more, you save 200 dollars or so (none of these are above 200 dollars, but are still full tower cases) that you can put into other components (such as a GTX 680). I would also recommend going aircooling if I were you and noise was not so much of an issue. A Noctua ND-h14 costs about 8 bucks, and is silent. The only thing with air cooling is you may want to throw in additional case fans for better airflow so it is more efficient (that's where the noise comes in unless you get premium fans like ones from nocuta). Also liquid cooling is nice but it is not that efficient in those closed loops, and it also needs to be at higher temperatures to be more efficient. If you are not planning to overclock, then I would say go with liquid cooling I guess, but aircooling will serve you better (only annoyance is cleaning dust filters and occasionally your case as dust builds up with high airflow and you should clean your case with compressed air about once a year). As for processors, the I7 3770K is a quad core with hyperthreading. It has 4 real cores, and then each core can handle two threads. Basically 4 of the real threads will perform amazing, and the 4 that are hyperthreads (fully through the processor, these are like virtual cores) will perform anywhere from 60 to 70 percent of the speed of the actual core threads. Basically the more real cores, the better. The 3930K has 6 real cores and 6 hyperthreads for a total of 12 threads (versus the 8 of the other processor). The only reason people say the i7 3770K is better for gaming is it is cheaper, games don't usually utilize more than 4 cores, and it has a higher stock speed (3.5Ghz). It will still do what you are doing well. The 3930K is clocked slightly lower (3.2Ghz) but if you overclock (which is easy as it is unlocked) you can match the same speed of the 3770K and therefore it is just as good for gaming and better for everything else that uses the extra 4 threads like graphic design, simulations, and CAD programs. The 3930K is also more future proof as it is FAST and when programs start to use even more threads, you are already ahed of the game with 12. The motherboard you have is great, make sure that your RAM comes with 4 sticks so that you can utilize the quad channel memory for the extra bandwidth (something design programs will benefit from. Overall it is a good build, I would just take what I said into consideration.
m
l
Related resources
!