What is the easiest thing to manufacture?

Anything that requires silicon is very difficult so CPU, GPU, and RAM are out as they would all require access to a fab. I'd say the easiest thing to design and build these days would be a DVD drive since there is nothing too special in it, or maybe a motherboard since most of the design for that is a systems engineering problem of getting a large number of complicated prebuilt components to work well together rather than trying to engineer and build something from the ground up, and instead of having to create new features every two years to get people to buy the product again you just need to stick a new CPU socket on it and it will sell itself!

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
PSU: If you know how to convert 120V AC to 12/5/3.3V DC with very minimal fluctuation. Though it's something that it's often cheaped out on by many sub-par companies and ill-educated users.

There was one PSU that had a fluctuation of 18V to 6V on a 12V line when it was under 30% load of it's advertised wattage.

Cables: Unless if you use the smallest aluminum gauge wires and paper-thin insulation, it's hard to mess up.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Or, a shoebox.

You know, that could actually work, if you remember to vacuum it frequently and not stepping on it...

Well, you could try building watercooled PSUs, that are compatible with existing WC loops.

There was one manufacturer that did the WCing and made it look good, but they "overclocked" their PSUs (rebranded 850W as 1200W, which increased voltage fluctuation), did a clumsy job with the coolant circuit (PSU's radiator had to be connected to the PSU, and too much disconnect/reconnect would result in the circuit being bled dry), and overpriced it.

Could, if I knew how to metal fab. Good idea though...

Do you have any recommendations?

Fans seem to be pretty straight forward.

I think Pyree is right on the cases, they would be pretty straight forward and have a much better profit margin than most other parts. You would need access to a brake for metal bending, hydraulic shears to get large smooth cuts, and a way to cut out holes in the case, a milling machine would be preferable but there are other options.

For not involving incredibly elaborate technology, i think it is rather silly that we have yet to come out with great cases at reasonable prices and for custom cases you could probably make a killing if they were well designed.