PS Spark and problems even after replacement

dafishanator

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hello,

I built my conputer roughly a year ago and everything had been going perfectly. But one day while just browsing the Internet, my power supply suddenly sparked and and I promptly shut it down. You could smell it burning and the scent lasted for several days.

Ok so at this point I knew that my power supply had gone bad, and that I would need to get a replacement. I still tried to turn on my computer just to see and it turned on just as it normally would. I contacted my PS manufacturer and they sent me a replacement within a week. I installed it and have had problems ever since.

Since installation, my computer will start every 20-30 tries. But the power led indicator on my Biostar motherboard NEVER lights up when receiving power like it used to. It will not come on unless the computer is booting. When trying to boot, the fans will turn on for 1 second at most, all led's will light up on my computer, and the led's on my motherboard will flash momentarily. But the fan on the CPU doesn't turn during that 1 second of power.

So at this point I'm frustrated and desperate. I can provide specs of my computer if necessary. I have tried removing every part and re-assembling my computer. And have tried using different connections from my PS. All with no luck.

Any help is deeply appreciated :) I will help and answer any questions you have.

Thanks!

Goden

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Two things come to mind:

1) Your new PSU could be dead-on-arrival.
2) Your old PSU could have damaged other components when it went with a bang.

Sadly, my knowledge of PSU's is really limited, so this is all I can think of.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
^+1

I would borrow a PSU from someone just to try to boot. If it still doesn't work, you have bigger problems then PSU. What exactly is the brand and model of that PSU. It was either defective or very low quality brand.

Goden

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
The PSU is basically THE component that you never ever want to go cheap on. If get a cheap PSU and it dies on you, it can potentially roast all your other components.

suteck

Distinguished
Most likely it killed the motherboard when it went. But as Goden said, it could be the new psu. Since you just got it I would contact the psu company to rma it one more time just to be sure. While you're waiting on it I would start pricing motherboards - just for fun.

suteck

Distinguished
And I would change out the psu to a better brand before hooking it up to your new board if you find out the motherboard needs replacing. Something like a seasonic, XFX or antec would be tops on my lists.