cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
I need to get a new cpu for my PC and I want to get either a Phenom II X4 955 or a Athlon II X3 450 or a Athlon II X4 640. Which one would be best? I will also be getting a GTX 660 or a 7850 in the near future with 16gb ram and I'm not getting Intel cause I just got a new AMD board. I do mostly gaming with a little converting,coding and multitasking.

For what you want to do I would get the Phenom II 955 and overclock it.

The main difference between Athlon II and Phenom II is the Level 3 cache (the Athlon II has no L3 cach.) This can make as much as a 20-30% performance improvement, clock for clock. Larger cache means that the processor can store computed results on die without having to request it from the main memory. I still think the Phenom II will perform better for what you want to do over the Athlon II.

cindylo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Oh I know it does in games and in general but mainly in games by about 10 fps maybe a little more depends on the game. The 640 also has unlockable L3 cache apparently which would make it match the P2 and I know what cache does :) but Thanks for the explanation. I wish I could go Intel but thats not gona happen atm with their CPU prices and the fact that LGA 1155 will be replaced again by 1150 this time next year.