Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Case for fanless system

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
Share
November 21, 2012 5:02:15 AM

Hi, i'm italian.
I would create a falness configuration for study/work.
These are the components i think to use:

- cpu i7-3770
- ssd samsung 830 128GB
- RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile CML8GX3M2A1600C9B 1600MHz 16GB (4x4GB) CL9
- Seasonic X-460 Alimentatore ATX Modulare Fanless da 460W
- Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7750 Ultimate
- Thermalright HR2 macho rev A or Nofan CR-95C
- AsRock Z77 Extreme4 or Extreme4-M

All components are fanless, so i would choose a case with a good airflow. My desire is a case fanless too, but i don't know if themperature can increase too much.

As fanless case, i see online the cs-80, but in italy no one sell this case.

What you can advise to me? My budeget is around 100€/130$.

Thanks in advance.

More about : case fanless system

a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 5:14:40 AM

You want a case which has lots of ventilation holes on the top for normal convection heat transfer.

Maybe these:

Fractal Design Arc Midi: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/fractal-design-arc-mid-t...
Unboxing and Product Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIF8WjJMsCo

Cooler Master HAF XB: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-haf-xb-atx...
Unboxing and Product Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjoYbVX1XU

ThermalTake Dokker: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermaltake-dokker-black...
Unboxing and Product Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWXAB5LAycM
November 21, 2012 5:37:03 AM

Thanks for answer.

Do you advise me of using fans?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 5:43:30 AM

You mean the pre-installed case fans? I understand you want a silent rig. I am a silent-rig freak too. What I would do is to take out the pre-installed case fans first and run some benchmarks. Then, see if the temperatures are tolerable.

If not, the if a case fan is really required to tone down the temps. I suggest install a fan located at the back of the case. If the temps are still high, then install more fans, the ones on the front of the case.
November 21, 2012 5:49:15 AM

Ok, this is what i would do too.
Test without fans, and then add it one by one observe temperature.

So, please, ask to my last question. I think nofan cs-60 or 80 case have more holes. Is there something similar? Or nofan cases are the best for this configurations?
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 5:53:21 AM

blueven said:
Ok, this is what i would do too.
Test without fans, and then add it one by one observe temperature.

So, please, ask to my last question. I think nofan cs-60 or 80 case have more holes. Is there something similar? Or nofan cases are the best for this configurations?

Antec LanBoy Air Open-Frame Case: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-lanboy-air-yellow-...



November 21, 2012 6:46:31 AM

the latest is obscene! :) 

I'm investigating about the corsair carbide 500r. I could use only the lateral 200 fan, but i don't found on internet what are their min rpm!
Do you know?

Thanks for you support!
November 21, 2012 12:21:45 PM

Yes, i write up about nofan cases, but in italy they are not selling.

Interesting is the new coolemaster haf xb. But i would see it in action in some review.
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 12:48:30 PM

blueven said:
Hi, i'm italian.
I would create a falness configuration for study/work.
These are the components i think to use:

- cpu i7-3770
- ssd samsung 830 128GB
- RAM DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Blue Low Profile CML8GX3M2A1600C9B 1600MHz 16GB (4x4GB) CL9
- Seasonic X-460 Alimentatore ATX Modulare Fanless da 460W
- Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7750 Ultimate
- Thermalright HR2 macho rev A or Nofan CR-95C
- AsRock Z77 Extreme4 or Extreme4-M

All components are fanless, so i would choose a case with a good airflow. My desire is a case fanless too, but i don't know if themperature can increase too much.

As fanless case, i see online the cs-80, but in italy no one sell this case.

What you can advise to me? My budeget is around 100€/130$.

Thanks in advance.



Personally, I don't see how anybody could call today's systems noisy. I just built a new i5 system with a performance GPU & a 1050 watt PSU and I can barely hear it. Also, I use a headset when gaming so noise doesn't matter at all. IMHO, a desktop computer without fans should be considered "castrated".
November 21, 2012 2:02:52 PM

Castred? you are gaming man, i'm job man. I never play game in my computers. So, for study and working, my confuguration is not castred!
For your use, yes, it is castred!

November 21, 2012 2:05:09 PM

Then, i must sleep near pc, and i would get it on 24/24 hours. So, noise for me is equivalent to not sleep! :)  Not a good thing!
November 21, 2012 2:20:28 PM

A few suggestions:
Get a case with huge fan ports, often 120mm+ low rpm fans are nearly silent (if you get good quality). Small fans are what usually generate the most noise noise. This way if you must add a fan, you can add a quiet one. Noctua makes fans that focus on low noise, and often include rubber standoffs to dampen vibration between case and fan, and cables to reduce the RPM of their fans.

Don't add a standard HDD to your build (you don't list one, but wanted to reinforce the point), they are quite loud when they spin up :) 

November 21, 2012 2:22:23 PM

Instead of being completely fanless, I would get a case that has support for a single large top fan.

Then buy an aftermarket replacement fan that outputs 20db or less, will still remain inaudible whilst drastically effecting any potential issues with heat buildup inside the case.
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 4:28:47 PM

blueven said:
Castred? you are gaming man, i'm job man. I never play game in my computers. So, for study and working, my confuguration is not castred!
For your use, yes, it is castred!



If that's your only problem there's a really easy answer. Set the system to hibernate after a user selected time interval of inactivity and everything will turn off. SILENCE!! A touch to the keyboard awakens it almost instantly exactly as you left it. BTW, I think "castrated" is the appropriate word regardless of the software you're running. I use Solidworks all day and the computer runs hard enough to require fans. If my work computer were fanless it would be useless to me.
November 22, 2012 1:27:55 AM

ram1009 said:
If that's your only problem there's a really easy answer. Set the system to hibernate after a user selected time interval of inactivity and everything will turn off. SILENCE!! A touch to the keyboard awakens it almost instantly exactly as you left it. BTW, I think "castrated" is the appropriate word regardless of the software you're running. I use Solidworks all day and the computer runs hard enough to require fans. If my work computer were fanless it would be useless to me.


If you read what i write, you can observe that i want to take my computer on 24/24 hours. My softwares for work does not need cpu or gpu load. But needs a lots of ram. I'm a web java programmer. Also, i need a pci gpu only for using 3 monitors or more. For others light jobs, i need to turn always on my pc all the day.
November 22, 2012 1:37:14 AM

djscribbles said:
A few suggestions:
Get a case with huge fan ports, often 120mm+ low rpm fans are nearly silent (if you get good quality). Small fans are what usually generate the most noise noise. This way if you must add a fan, you can add a quiet one. Noctua makes fans that focus on low noise, and often include rubber standoffs to dampen vibration between case and fan, and cables to reduce the RPM of their fans.

Don't add a standard HDD to your build (you don't list one, but wanted to reinforce the point), they are quite loud when they spin up :) 


azathoth said:
Instead of being completely fanless, I would get a case that has support for a single large top fan.

Then buy an aftermarket replacement fan that outputs 20db or less, will still remain inaudible whilst drastically effecting any potential issues with heat buildup inside the case.


Yes, this is what i want to do. If, after some bench, i see that a fan is needed, i would add a a big fan (at least 200mm) to my case, and run it to very low rpm, so it is nearly silent. The best is a pwm fan, so the night, when the workload is very low, i can turn off it by software.

Said that, i think coolermaster haf xb can be a good choose. Do you agreed with me?

Are there others cases i can consider?

ps. i don't use standard HDD.
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:38:03 AM

You may want to consider this case:
Fractal Design Define R4: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-with dense noise absorbing material
-140 mm fans (for slower rpms)

Also, watch this review about the case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NM81822_ag

It's an in depth review of the case. The reviewer said you can configure the case so that it will be very quiet. The reviewer is also a quiet-rig freak. He has the previous version of the case the Define R3. He configured his R3 that people thought his PC was broken because it was so quiet. They only way to know the PC is on, is by the power led on top/front of the case. The Fractal Design Define R4 is the updated version. So it's better.


This is a very quiet 140mm case fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video review of the fans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11TIfocssvY
November 22, 2012 1:49:07 AM

Thanks boyabunda for answer me.

My first choose was Fractal Design Define R4. But, then, i thinked that a case with a very good air flow is needed, because of my components are all fanless. So, getting a silent soundproofing case, can increse the overall themperatures.

Do you think this can not happens?
a b ) Power supply
November 22, 2012 1:56:24 AM

Yes, temps will be higher than a normal case because the noise absorbing material will be distributed around the case. I think the way to build with a case like the Define R4 which has sound-absorbing material, is to have two quiet 140 mm case fans (one on the rear, one on front).

Have like the Corsair AF 140 quiet edition fans which has the 12V to 7V adapter to further slow the rpm, therefore making the rig quieter.

There will be very little to no noise emitted by the fans, and if there are any, then the noise-absorbing material will do its work.
November 23, 2012 7:13:17 AM

But there isn't noise to be absorbed inside the case! :) 
The only noise should be the fans in front e rear it.

I'm a lot confused...
November 23, 2012 7:18:34 AM

In this web site they sell a silent pc that it's very very similar to my configuration.
The case is fanless.

They do not write nothing about temperatures.
November 24, 2012 3:35:27 PM

boyabunda said:
Yes, temps will be higher than a normal case because the noise absorbing material will be distributed around the case. I think the way to build with a case like the Define R4 which has sound-absorbing material, is to have two quiet 140 mm case fans (one on the rear, one on front).

Have like the Corsair AF 140 quiet edition fans which has the 12V to 7V adapter to further slow the rpm, therefore making the rig quieter.

There will be very little to no noise emitted by the fans, and if there are any, then the noise-absorbing material will do its work.


Fractal R4 have a fan control (5-7-12), so i think an adaptor for fans is not needed.

Is the Corsair AF 140 the quietest fan i can buy? At 5v how many rpm run?
!