Newly built computer will not power on past a flicker.

H4msup

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I just assembled a computer with all new parts and when I go to power on the machine the PSU flickers on and then turns off again. Hitting the power button on my machine won't make it flicker again until I shut the power off from the PSU and wait a minute or so. But I can't get the machine to power on longer than the flicker.

Things I've done to try and solve the problem:

1. I thought it might be the PSU so I tried the paper clip and it was able to power on. However, I tried it with everything plugged into the board besides the 24 pin connector and it would just flicker again.

2. I removed the motherboard to make sure that all the standoffs were aligned and no standoffs were incorrectly installed in the board.

3. I tried the 500w power supply that came with the case and it still didn't work.

4. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting all the cords.

5. I tried booting with just one stick of RAM in the machine.

I believe this is everything that I've tried besides using google. This is the first PC that I've tried to build and I didn't think that the cabling process was going to be this much of a hassle.

My specs:
Motherboard: Asrock z77 pro3
PSU: Eagletec Voltas 600w
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k
GPU: EVGA Nvidia Ge Force 560 ti Superclocked
Case: Raidmax Smilodon
RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Any help is appreciated before I just give up on this computer.

Solution
Inspect the pins in the CPU socket carefully. Make sure none are damaged. From your description it does sound electrical.

Breadboarding is the next step. Given what it is doing a MB speaker isn't going to help.

If there is still no post outside the case and the CPU socket is OK, it's probably a bad board.

H4msup

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Yeah I know the PSU that I bought isn't a great PSU but I figured that as long as it was 600 watts I would be fine. Yes, I made sure I did a run down of the things on that list before I posted a reply because I wanted to make sure that I tried everything before begging for help.

Inspect the pins in the CPU socket carefully. Make sure none are damaged. From your description it does sound electrical.

Breadboarding is the next step. Given what it is doing a MB speaker isn't going to help.

If there is still no post outside the case and the CPU socket is OK, it's probably a bad board.

Solution

H4msup

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I checked the CPU sockets and everything looked good. So I started the breadboarding process. I started by plugging in the CPU/Heat sink and the RAM and it booted up fine. So i plugged in the video card as well worked fine. I eventually got everything plugged into the mobo and it started up and ran fine. Is my problem with the mounting of the mobo to the case? Is it causing it to short out and shut down?

Either the case itself or the wiring in the case. Perhaps the power and reset switches.

Did everything match up right when you installed the board? Did the board fit right into the I/O shield in the back? Sometimes the tray the MB is mounted to can be warped.

The other possibility is one of gravity. If there is a bad connection somewhere that separates when the board is vertical, perhaps because of the weight of the cooler.

H4msup

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I got it to work, the problem was dumb wiring on my part. Everything is up and running now. I really appreciate the help, would have never been able to get through all this without this website. Thank you!