Freeze problem with new gpu EVGA 560 ti

nitramretep

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Playing games after a little while or,rarely, immediately, the screen goes black and the system freezes.....this is after I replaced the GT454DE. This does not happen using other "work programs including Autocad.

I replaced my Alienware GPU card with a EVGA 560TI. I checked my operating temp on the back of the GPU, on the flip side, and it reads 42.05 c.

The Intel chip water cooler radiator is running at 85.3 F. My 16gb Corsair RAM is running at 85.3 F.

The drivers for the 560TI are checked and correct. This started happening today, not at all yesterday, the install date.

Could it be a voltage issue? My monitor is a Dell 30" 3007w.

The main box is an Alienware Auro R3. Intel i7 2000, Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit. It's Black with green LED!

Any help would be appreciated!

nitramretep

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I cannot get into the PS bay, the wiring and hidden retaining clips are every were. I restarted the PC and the screen had this wierd pink gauze like appearance that flickered, then it cleared up.

nitramretep

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I hope not as the Alienware PSU connections are via a single plug module! Also, not to doubt your knowledge, but it seems strange it should suddenly go today after no issues but there again it could be!

Alienware is a mess since Dell took over!

Helltech

Distinguished
Alienware has always been a mess, no offence but ever since I can remember they have been overpriced and used low-quality parts whenever possible. Much cheaper and better for your system just do it yourself.

With that said, I don't know if its the PSU or the GPU. The only way to test is to put the GPU in a buddies system and/or take a buddies PSU and hook it up to yourself to test it out.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
I'd troubleshoot software before i started looking at hardware past your graphics card.

Do a total uninstall of graphics drivers and reinstall with newest drivers from nvidia's website.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007

you forgot a step, in between there. Run Driver Sweeper <--Link in Safe Mode after uninstalling the drivers and before re-installing.

Taken from Nvidia forums,
1) You are going to reboot your pc in safe mode (press F8 as your computer boots up)(DON"T DO THIS NOW)
2) When options come up for safe mode, choose the first option on the list that only says "Safe Mode" (The one without networking)

*Note* Windows will install a generic VGA driver once you boot. That is totally fine and will not affect your install. There is no need to remove it.

Once your computer has booted and you now in windows safe mode

3) Open up Driver Sweeper application.
4) Put check marks in the boxes next to the following items
- NVIDIA Display
- NVIDIA PhysX
5) Click the Analyze button
Once the program is done analyzing you should see a list of items with check marks next to all of them. If for some reason all the items do not have checkmarks, you can click the * button, then select and then all.

6) Now click the clean button
7) Once that has completed. Close the application and reboot your machine as normal.

Unless you actually use HDMI Audio(via GPU), Stereoscopic 3D or SLI, I'd recommend doing a custom install and deselecting the HD Audio Driver, 3D Driver and related items, and Nvidia Update option in the appropriate screen.

The first one will cause issues, it's almost guaranteed , the others just add unneeded processes, especially if your not using them.

Download the new driver prior to uninstalling the current ones or use the Safe Mode with Networking option so you can download them while in safe mode.
Pressing F8 for Safe mode MAY NOT work, if it does not, go to your start menu and type msconfig, click on it, go to the Boot Tab, select Safe Mode and then Networking. Make sure to uncheck it after running Driver Sweeper but before rebooting or you'll end up back in Safe Mode.

And Good Luck, I've seen most of the common issues with GTX 560's and all have been fixed by a clean install of the drivers, using the method described above.

And I am currently running Beta 301.24 drivers at the moment.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
Let us know how it goes. The Pink Screen of Almost Death as I like to call it, really scared me for a little bit. I bought my PNY as a Shell Shocker, $160 for a refurbed 560 Ti and was worried it was bad! But a clean install using the beta drivers fixed it and I haven't had it since.

So now anytime I update drivers I clean the old ones out with Driver Sweeper before updating.

nitramretep

Honorable
May 17, 2012
I did everything suggested and used Drive Sweeper. Re-installed only the drivers needed, no 3D or sound etc. This issue only appears using Steam based games.

After re-install started Steam game got one red pixel screen, locked the PC had to cold boot, then started a new Steam game.....green box screen, again froze PC. I am wondering if it's Steam or the GPU?