Comuter buying advice for aroudn $800

Asparagus33

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hello all. So I've been wanting to get a new computer for a while and I've finally decided to buy one. So thanks in advance for any help.

Budget: Around $800

Games:

I would like to be able to play:
DOTA 2
Skyrim
Guild Wars 2 (when it comes out)
Rome: Total War
Medieval 2 Total War
Empire : Total War
Shogun 2: Total War

I would like to be able to play on high graphics, but not super-high.

Other tasks:
Microsoft Word
Powerpoint
Publisher
etc.

Anyways those are basically some specifications. Right now I'm looking at this Alienware computer:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx.

I'd be going for the $700 one with a $50 upgrade on the memory from 4GB to 6GB. Do you guys think this would be a good buy for my needs?

If you think there's a better computer I'd also be open to that. Thanks in advance for any advice.

khobbs_uk

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hi,
Have you considered building on yourself from scratch? I am not sure if this is something your ok in doing, that way you can decide what you would like to get out of the computer based on your needs rather than buy a branded system and get things that you may not need, building your own will be cheaper and you may get more from it.

If not, that Alienware isn't badly priced, my currency is UK pound, so that memory upgrade seems worth it(£32)

But definitely cheaper if you build yourself.

Asparagus33

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I haven't built a computer before. I could possibly get some people to help me with it that know how, but I don't know how difficult it is. Do you think that Alienware could play those games well? I can't find anything on its graphics card.

zac14001

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Please, for the love of god, never ever mention Alienware. :pfff:
Just do some research on PC components and see how each one works. This will give you a better idea on how to build a PC. Building a PC is WAY cheaper BTW.

zac14001

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

good choice.. very good choice. :bounce:
remember to ask on this forum whether all of your computer components are compatible or if you have any questions.. i always do :D