Sign in with
Your question

I7-3720qm throttling black ops 2

Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2012 9:25:05 AM

It seems as though every single time i jump inside a MP game, my fans kick it into high gear during the loading screen and then the start of the game starts lagging horrendously for 2-3 seconds . FPS sits at 60 and my GPU core clock & temps are stable. During actual gameplay, it happens every now and then not often. Maybe during lightning strike scorestreaks & war machine? Not sure. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. I've tested it myself by aiming a Lightning strike on top of me and everything was smooth.

Game: Black Ops 2 MP
Driver: 310.61 beta

--------------------------
Detailed Explanation
--------------------------

CPU usually averages at around 79C and peaks at 83C. GPU sits 58C peaks at 64C. I actually do use a cooling pad. It's elevated for better air flow with adjustable fans as well. I set my nvidia CP to prefer maximum performance as well as my high performance power plan in windows. My shadows are set to medium and my AA is the new 4x TXAA which is supposed to be around the performance requirements of 4x MSAA i believe, which isn't demanding at all. My frames actually are around 120-150 without vsync enabled. As for my fps, i'm flatlining 60 throughout the entire gaming session. I've monitored it through msiafterburner & GPU-Z's graphs. During the episodes where i detect the sluggish response where it seems like my frames are dropping when they aren't, my temperatures look stable and my clocks don't throttle themselves. The scenario i can best describe it would be similar to playing a game at 60 frames and then all of a sudden it takes a dip to 45 frames. That kind of stutter. It never lasts more than 2-3 seconds and it doesn't happen often at all, but it is noticeable. It's like something is trying to "catch" up.

----------------------------------
Updates (Troubleshooting)
----------------------------------

Quote:
if you suspect turbo go into power plan options and advanced settings and set max CPU to 99%.

This will disable turbo completely and allow you to test if that is the problem.

Did a quick google search & came across a YT video that suggested that. I applied the changes and booted up BO2 MP and i still experienced it. Changed it back to 100% and so far i haven't experienced it. Kinda weird.

The lag i experience happens for about 4-5 seconds then the game smooths out. it usually happens when i join a game already in progress. I can't test or monitor it upon joining a new game since it locks the team in place til ready & i can't check motion.

Quote:
Bandwidth throttling or sharing a connection?

Many people overlook the internet connection as a source of lag.

i'm on pretty decent internet with a killer network wifi card. 20 down 2 up i believe (5g network). It could possibly be a network source. Several other players were acclaiming micro stutters and weird lags and network as a problem was brought up

Quote:
The game is pretty new, probably just needs patching.

Possibly. I'm not sure though. When i say micro stutter i mean in a way where input lag is induced and it FEELS like a spike from 60 fps down to 30 fps (this doesn't happen), even tho i'm flatlining at 60 during the stutter.

anyways could something like network issues serverside cause something like that? i would think it'd be user side

my GPU clocks are 1150 mHZ Core & 2850 Memory

a new patch was released today to improve cpu/gpu performance as well

source: http://kotaku.com/5962476/call-of- [...] erformance

Quote:
Well I can't say much for PC but when I used to play any CoD game on PS3, if my network connection was going or about to go, my FPS would start to dip and stutter until I got disconnected, especially in Black Ops 1. If others are having the same issue I'd just say its the game, they're usually pretty buggy when they're first released

well if its on their end they need to fix it cause it's really getting on my nerves especially during MP.

I've tried lowering my resolution in case it might be a graphical throttle to 1366x768 and i still experience this ***.

its not my net either cause it happens in a solo custom game with bots

Quote:
Try a re-install if you can be bothered. What is the make/model of HDD you are playing from.

Most modern games stream textures from the HDD. If it is slow (or slowish) it could be waiting for the textures...

i dont have a hdd. i have a 256 gb m4 ssd. i doubt it's my storage

updated to 310.61 drivers. barely seemed to help any

I tried different gpu clock rates. As low as +135/+250 and as high as +315/850 and it still happens on both. Downclock or not the problem persists

list of my hardware

Alienware M14X R2
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM @ 3.6 GHz
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M & Intel HD 4000
Soundblaster Recon3Di & Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
256 GB Crucial M4 SSD

System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

Video Settings

Resolution: 1600x900
Display Mode: Fullscreen
Field of View: 90
Shadows: Medium
Ragdoll: Enabled
Texture Quality: Extra
Texture Filtering: High
Anti-Aliasing: 4x TXAA
FXAA: Off
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Depth of Field: Low
Sync Every Frame: Off
Max Frames Per Second: Unlimited

Quote:
take aa off, put shadows on low, depth of field on high and see what happens. I think with those settings aa kills gpu's like 650m as well as the fact that most of the other settings use more cpu then gpu so it can lag like that as the 650m is not being used much.

nope. cus i get 120-150 fps with those settings when i turn off vsync. my laptop can actually handle the game on max settings flatline 60 fps (texture qual: extra, filter: high, dof: high, shadows: high, AA: 16x MSAA) and if you bothered reading. my gpu isn't throttling. it can handle the game perfectly barring those random vsync stutters. my gpu usage averages around 70-80% taken from gpu-z, so its normal. vsync off it uses 99% the entire time, which i don't want.
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 10:40:43 AM

if you suspect turbo go into power plan options and advanced settings and set max CPU to 99%.

This will disable turbo completely and allow you to test if that is the problem.
m
l
November 21, 2012 10:59:04 AM

Did a quick google search & came across a YT video that suggested that. I applied the changes and booted up BO2 MP and i still experienced it. Changed it back to 100% and so far i haven't experienced it. Kinda weird.

The lag i experience happens for about 4-5 seconds then the game smooths out. it usually happens when i join a game already in progress. I can't test or monitor it upon joining a new game since it locks the team in place til ready & i can't check motion.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 11:03:22 AM

Bandwidth throttling or sharing a connection?

Many people overlook the internet connection as a source of lag.
m
l
November 21, 2012 11:17:55 AM

i'm on pretty decent internet with a killer network wifi card. 20 down 2 up i believe (5g network). It could possibly be a network source. Several other players were acclaiming micro stutters and weird lags and network as a problem was brought up
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 11:37:42 AM

The game is pretty new, probably just needs patching.
m
l
November 21, 2012 11:09:56 PM

Possibly. I'm not sure though. When i say micro stutter i mean in a way where input lag is induced and it FEELS like a spike from 60 fps down to 30 fps (this doesn't happen), even tho i'm flatlining at 60 during the stutter.

anyways could something like network issues serverside cause something like that? i would think it'd be user side

source: http://kotaku.com/5962476/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-gpu...
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 7:22:22 AM

xenrail said:
Possibly. I'm not sure though. When i say micro stutter i mean in a way where input lag is induced and it feels like a spike from 60 fps down to 30 fps, even tho i'm flatlining at 60 during the stutter.

source: http://kotaku.com/5962476/call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-gpu...

Well I can't say much for PC but when I used to play any CoD game on PS3, if my network connection was going or about to go, my FPS would start to dip and stutter until I got disconnected, especially in Black Ops 1. If others are having the same issue I'd just say its the game, they're usually pretty buggy when they're first released
m
l
November 22, 2012 8:45:58 AM

well if its on their end they need to fix it cause it's really getting on my nerves especially during MP.

I've tried lowering my resolution in case it might be a graphical throttle to 1366x768 and i still experience this ***.

its not my net either cause it happens in a solo custom game with bots
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 9:58:40 AM

Try a re-install if you can be bothered. What is the make/model of HDD you are playing from.

Most modern games stream textures from the HDD. If it is slow (or slowish) it could be waiting for the textures...
m
l
November 22, 2012 12:04:18 PM

i dont have a hdd. i have a 256 gb m4 ssd. i doubt it's my storage

updated to 310.61 drivers. barely seemed to help any

I tried different gpu clock rates. As low as +135/+250 and as high as +315/850 and it still happens on both. Downclock or not the problem persists

list of my hardware

Alienware M14X R2
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM @ 3.6 GHz
8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M & Intel HD 4000
Soundblaster Recon3Di & Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio
256 GB Crucial M4 SSD

System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom X3 8750 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2GB for 32-bit OS or 4GB for 64-bit OS
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512 MB or ATI Radeon HD 3870 512 MB

Video Settings

Resolution: 1600x900
Display Mode: Fullscreen
Field of View: 90
Shadows: Medium
Ragdoll: Enabled
Texture Quality: Extra
Texture Filtering: High
Anti-Aliasing: 4x TXAA
FXAA: Off
Ambient Occlusion: Off
Depth of Field: Low
Sync Every Frame: Off
Max Frames Per Second: Unlimited
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 12:20:31 PM

Telling you, it's a fault on their end. Has anybody else reported these problems?
m
l
November 22, 2012 11:18:08 PM

This game is a horrible console port. I have 2x 6850s w/ an Intel Core i5 3570K Quad-Core CPU, 12GB of RAM and in some areas of maps I get FPS as low as 40. Horrible console ports never do well on the PC.
m
l
November 22, 2012 11:33:43 PM

hafijur said:
take aa off, put shadows on low, depth of field on high and see what happens. I think with those settings aa kills gpu's like 650m as well as the fact that most of the other settings use more cpu then gpu so it can lag like that as the 650m is not being used much.

nope. cus i get 120-150 fps with those settings when i turn off vsync. my laptop can actually handle the game on max settings flatline 60 fps (texture qual: extra, filter: high, dof: high, shadows: high, AA: 16x MSAA) and if you bothered reading. my gpu isn't throttling. it can handle the game perfectly barring those random vsync stutters. my gpu usage averages around 70-80% taken from gpu-z, so its normal. vsync off it uses 99% the entire time, which i don't want.

GoldenI said:
This game is a horrible console port. I have 2x 6850s w/ an Intel Core i5 3570K Quad-Core CPU, 12GB of RAM and in some areas of maps I get FPS as low as 40. Horrible console ports never do well on the PC.

yep it got ported from 360 to pc & ps3. at least they attempted to optimize it on pc a little with their dx11 engine

AFAIK i think it's a combination of the game & beta drivers.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2012 11:32:59 AM

GoldenI said:

Well there you go, poor optimization on the developers end. What a surprise (Sarcasm)

CoD games have a tendency to run poorly on PC anyway. Even on console they run poorly. FPS dips in black ops on ps3 drove me insane.
m
l
!