Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't start

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2012 2:45:38 AM

Hey everyone, Today I powered off my computer unplugged everything, and Installed my new amd fx-8150 processor along with an Antec H20 620. Now the computer won't start at all other then after being unplugged for a while, after plugging it back in, lights will blink on as well as a fan spinning for a millisecond. Any suggestions at what I should do?

My system consists of
ASRock Extreme 4 mobo
8gb RAM
500 gb HDD
2 Nvidia Gts 250 graphics cards running SLI
and an 850w power supply

More about : computer start

a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 2:59:41 AM

make sure the mb has the bios updated before you switch cpu. a lot of older mb wont post if the cpu code is not updated.
July 11, 2012 3:01:56 AM

I made sure to update it to the latest possible, shown by the site that makes it, before I swapped em.
Related resources
July 11, 2012 3:19:46 AM

Even just put the old processor back in to test, and no luck.. same thing.
July 11, 2012 4:22:08 AM

how would I know if the motherboard quit working? im not even getting a flicker of lights anymore..

been working at this for hours.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
July 11, 2012 7:07:44 AM

Make sure ALL power connections are properly seated and not wiggling loose.

A motherboard shouldn't just die like that. Something else is wrong.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 11, 2012 1:22:58 PM

sounds like a dead short...try taking the mb out of the case and see if it run on a desk on top of a box. if it does power up then somehow your shorting the mb out in the case.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 13, 2012 1:19:37 AM

Or you killed the psu. Can you do the quick psu test where you put the jumper pin in the 24 pin connector? 1 in the green and 1 in any of the blacks. Make sure you have a fan or something plugged into it so something draws power.
!