Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Good PSU for the price?

Last response: in Components
Share
November 21, 2012 12:27:41 PM

Hey guys I saw a deal on newegg for a corsair cx600 psu for $30. I thought that was a really good deal but im not sure if its a good power supply? Should I jump on the deal? Im going to be using my computer for gaming. And from what it seems this psu is meant for just everyday computers.

Here are the specs. I plan on xfire later and adding a h60 water cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G46 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($184.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: BenQ GW2250 21.5" Monitor ($120.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Microsoft Keyboard 200 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Gigabyte GM-M6800 Wired Optical Mouse ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Other: 4 in 1 Cooler master 120mm fans ($12.00)
Other: Belkin 8-by-9-Inch Mouse Pad ($2.00)
Other: Logitech S120 Speakers ($10.00)
Total: $748.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-21 09:26 EST-0500)

More about : good psu price

a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 12:38:14 PM

It's a good unit and that's a great deal.

m
0
l
Related resources
November 21, 2012 2:57:44 PM

prototype18 said:
Yes 30 for Cx 600 is great . BUT its not a 600 W psu its more ~ 500W

So why dont u get this Xfx 550W

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59615&vpn=P1550SXXB9&m...

Or even the 650W for 10 $ more

http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=59616&vpn=P1650SNLB9&m...

Ur system consumes

122W Gpu Peak
125W Cpu
15W Hdd
16W Ram
25W Dvd
~4W Fan's

=305W

So a good 550 W/650 W will do good. Imo u should get the 650W for just 10 More


Yeah, but those both are also a lot more expensive. I was considering the cx 600 because of how cheap it is right now.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 8:46:20 PM

u can just read the reviews and see that that cx 600 is not 600w psu.
cx430 dsnt deliver 430w on the 12 v rail.
its more like 360W on the rail.

So the units i suggested above are way better than the CX. Just get 1 of those. Cx are more a bottom range PSUs
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 21, 2012 9:07:17 PM

Xfx Pro Core are great Psu's .I was going to get a 650W but i found this Tx on sale so i got it.

just choose

Xfx 550/650W or seasonic M12II 520/620W.

IMO get the 650W its a great deal the one that i linked you and its cheaper than seasonic. If budget its not a problem tell me so i can give you a better PSU and more expensive :) 
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 23, 2012 1:44:53 AM

prototype18 said:
u can just read the reviews and see that that cx 600 is not 600w psu.
cx430 dsnt deliver 430w on the 12 v rail.
its more like 360W on the rail.

So the units i suggested above are way better than the CX. Just get 1 of those. Cx are more a bottom range PSUs



A PSU doesn't have to deliver all of its rated power on the 12v rail(s) to be legit:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX430-Po...

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX430_V2/


I have not seen a review of the CX600 that shows it failing to deliver on its specs. As demonstrated in the links above, the CX430 delivers on its specs.

In one post, you estimate the OP's system at 305w, then you say the CX430 puts out 360..just on it's 12v rail(s), and then imply that the PSU two steps up from the CX430 is somehow inadequate for the 305w system.

If you have information that shows the 600w version somehow delivering less power the the 430w version, I'll listen.

But the OP's question is budget-minded and the PSU line he is looking at has tested well.

If he were looking at a cheap CM eXtreme Power Plus 600w unit or something like it, I could understand steering him away. But the builder series, while not the quality of high-end expensive units, is not crap.

For $30, it's a great value.

m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
November 23, 2012 9:54:13 AM

Z1NONLY said:
A PSU doesn't have to deliver all of its rated power on the 12v rail(s) to be legit:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX430-Po...

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX430_V2/


I have not seen a review of the CX600 that shows it failing to deliver on its specs. As demonstrated in the links above, the CX430 delivers on its specs.

In one post, you estimate the OP's system at 305w, then you say the CX430 puts out 360..just on it's 12v rail(s), and then imply that the PSU two steps up from the CX430 is somehow inadequate for the 305w system.

If you have information that shows the 600w version somehow delivering less power the the 430w version, I'll listen.

But the OP's question is budget-minded and the PSU line he is looking at has tested well.

If he were looking at a cheap CM eXtreme Power Plus 600w unit or something like it, I could understand steering him away. But the builder series, while not the quality of high-end expensive units, is not crap.

For $30, it's a great value.


I didnt say its a crap PSU. Its just a bottom end PSU.

Xfx 550W is way better than it.We are not talking about the Cx 430W , but abouth the Cx 600 which is kinda 500W psu.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/chieftec... (Read the cx 600)

He would be more safe with a TRUE 550/650W than with that Cx 600.

Thats why i recc those units. Inmagine a seccong GPU down the road where to put it ?

PSU is the most imp part of the pc . U must never get the cheapest !

But here is a good deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

50 After rebate. A great corsair PSU built by seasonic.
m
0
l
a c 288 ) Power supply
November 23, 2012 9:05:08 PM

abkaflab said:
Yeah, but those both are also a lot more expensive. I was considering the cx 600 because of how cheap it is right now.



Hi - Both Zinonly & prototype have valid points, my only comment is:
if you truly plan on CF in the future, then try to swing the $50
& get the Seasonic built Corsair TX 650 v2 prototype linked. The budget CX
model is fine for the single card, but I would think you'd want the increased
Quality of the TX v2 model for CF

Tom
m
0
l
!