Sign in with
Your question

Need new cpu that wont bottleneck my gpu

Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2012 12:33:42 PM

Hello everyone, im currently in the process of upgrading my cpu and motherboard and ram.
my current setup is

Amd Athlon II X4 640
Asus M4A785D-M Pro
4 Gb ddr2
Msi 660 Twin Frozr OC

Currently my setup is bottlenecking my graphic card, and im not getting the full power the card could do. so i need to upgrade my system, so my question is, what is the cheapest Intel cpu that will not bottleneck my gpu.

i read somewhere that the absolute minimum would be a intel g890 but i wanted to get your opinions on the matter. thanks
November 21, 2012 12:38:15 PM

i just re read the one thread and it said the bare minimum is an intel 870 not an 890, but still need to know if that is true or not before i buy.
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 2:16:43 PM

Learn to overclock the motherboard can support it. 3.6ghz is not that much work but it will add a lot of performance.

Related resources
November 21, 2012 6:12:10 PM

It depends on your budget, the new (Vishera) AMD 8-core is what I would reccommend, or possibly an i5.
November 21, 2012 6:19:24 PM

budget is less then 100 dollars and amd uses too much power and the new vishera still cant compete with the intel when it comes to power consumption vs performance, id rather switch to intel, i can get a motherboard and ram i just need the cheapest cpu that wont bottleness the gpu, and i do plan on upgrading to a better cpu in the future, just for now need something that wont bottleneck my gpu.

and also i dont like to OC
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 6:38:41 PM

sweetsamantha1985 said:
budget is less then 100 dollars and amd uses too much power and the new vishera still cant compete with the intel when it comes to power consumption vs performance, id rather switch to intel, i can get a motherboard and ram i just need the cheapest cpu that wont bottleness the gpu, and i do plan on upgrading to a better cpu in the future, just for now need something that wont bottleneck my gpu.

and also i dont like to OC

Don't like? Or Can not? You can always learn!
November 21, 2012 7:00:03 PM

lol ive been overclocking since ive been a kid lol. i just cant overclock this particular pc because i dont have the proper cooling for it, and without proper cooling ill just fry my pc. and id rather buy a new cpu motherboard and ram atm then just to try to squeeze a little more performance out of whats old. and besides an am2 socket ddr2 with pcie 1.0 its time for an upgrade in that department anyway.
a b à CPUs
November 21, 2012 8:39:15 PM

Bad move,you are switching a dated CPU for another soon to be dated CPU.In 6 months you switch GPU again and are forced to buy another dated CPU.
Smarter choice is deal with what you have till you got enough for mid-range CPU+mobo.
Get a cooler and start OCing again then,for a 1 time charge you can get an OCed i5 that can't be matched by anything at stock.
Buying cheap assures low life and performance.
Buying high-end you spend too much money for the extra performance.
Solution : don't go cheap or blow money onto something too high-end.

Personally I'd wait for more income to get a decent i53570k with a noctua d14 and an ASrock z77 extreme 4.This setup will last years while a $100 will give you little to no noticeable performance increase.
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 11:03:59 AM

30 dollars though can give you another 600mhz lol sorry to push the oc but you should
November 22, 2012 7:42:51 PM

Yea i completely agree blacknemesist. If you had, for example, a decent motherboard, you could do a CPU upgrade now but you are asking to switch mobo, cpu and ram. I agree, this upgrade would do you very little favor. IMO like spentshells said, you can OC and squeeze every bit from this old PC and build a completely new one when you are more comfortable with the pocket. Also next year there will be better CPUs, GPUs and more advanced mobos in the market, who knows maybe you will be able to build a good fast system with lesser cost compared to this generation
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2012 8:02:38 PM

with actual effort... not an hour or two there is the potential to overclock to 4GHZ remember and aim for that or just come up with 350 for new cpu mobo and ram
!