Help, my gaming PC won't stay on?

Firejack

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Just today I built my gaming computer and made sure all the needed wires for data and power were connected. To test out my Power Supply, I plugged it into the outlet and turned my computer on. My computer would turn on for a few seconds, turn off for a few seconds, and then repeat. To try to find out the problem, I took out my RAM. When all my RAM was out, my computer would stay on, but once it got past the initial beep, it would keep beeping. To see if my RAM was the problem, I took 2 sticks at a time and put them into my slots in A-A, B-B, and sometimes even A-B configuration. I did this with BOTH sticks. Each time I changed the configuration, the boot up was the same as the initial start-up. I thought it was that my PSU wasn't strong enough to power my computer, but I feel like it should be. Maybe it's my motherboard- I know that I touched it a couple times with my finger, but I didn't put my hand all over it. However, when I was mounting my Mobo to its standoffs, I did drop one of the screws near the edge. I don't think any of this should have caused my motherboard to malfunction. Can ANYBODY please help me with my problem?

Rig Specs:
Cooler master HAF XM Mid-tower Case
Asus p8z68-v/Gen3 Intel Z68 Motherboard
Intel i5-3570k CPU
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo CPU Cooler
Lite-on CD+DVD RW Optical Drive
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB Harddrive
Ultra LSP-650 650W PSU
Sound Blaster Audigy 7.1 Sound Card
EVGA Geforce GTX 570
Patriot G2 Series 8GB DDR3 RAM (1600 Mhz) x2

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello FireJack :hello:

You said you used both sticks :non: "two sticks at a time", try just one at a time and try each stick in each slot if it works in any configuration with one stick its a bad stick of ram, if it doesn't work at all it could be MoBo. Pretty sure just droping a screw on the MoBo or touching it wouldn't fry it, I take my Laptop apart to clean it often and I've never fried it out and I'm not all too careful with the way I touch the MoBo.

More likely to cause that immediate of a crash could be an :pfff: incorrectly mounted CPU, alignment corner wrong, not enough thermal Paste, too much thermal paste touching the sides of the chip or board, or Heat sink not pressing the CPU down hard enough, installed incorrectly. Do all the fans, mainly the CPU Heat sink spin up on power-up? Could be a loose wire? May have over tightened MoBo screws?

You have to be more specific when it crashes, what you see, if it just crashs to a black screen or blue screen, what is on the screen when it crashes, what sounds you hear like the hard drive trying to spin up or MoBo beeps(you mentioned a constant beep with the ram out what were the beeps with it in?) Did it post OK?, what lights are on like the HDD read light and even lights on your fans if you have any with lights, things like that help. Also could be a Hard disk access failure, when you go into Bios(If you can enter Bios) does it show the HDD as a Boot choice? What is the boot order? Are you Overclocking?

Let me know if any of this was of any help or update with the beeps and specificity of the crash.

Good Luck :D

Just my 2 cents do with it what you will.