DVI-D Dual Link cables is the standard, right?

Snookslayer

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Really dumb question, but I'm new to this stuff so let me see if I've got this straight. From a little bit of internet research here's what I think I've learned (please correct me where I'm wrong)...

Most of today's latest and greatest video cards come with "DVI-I dual link" and HDMI connections. And most computer monitors (even slightly older ones) have DVI-D dual link connections and some also have the VGA connection (which nobody really uses for gaming).

So am I right in assuming that most gamers here who are connected to computer monitors (rather than HD tv's) are using DVI-D dual link cables?

From what I've read the "I" in "DVI-I dual link" is so people can convert the signal to analog for older type monitors which i guess only have a VGA input. That doesn't make much sense to me - who would have a great video card and a crappy monitor with no DVI connection, but whatever.

Also, my understanding is that the DVI-D transfers the same quality picture as HDMI, it just doesn't include sound. Which is why tv's use HDMI cables, but computers with separate sound systems generally don't unless they're hooked to a high-def tv and the person wants the sound to come out of the tv.

Is any of that remotely correct? Mainly, do most pc gamers use "DVI-D dual link cables" to connect the video card to the computer monitor?

DVI-I connectors are used so VGA can be output from a GPU with a simple adapter.

HDMI is used for connecting to TVs and monitors at or below 1920x1200.

DVI-D single link is also used for resolutions at or below 1920x1200. Single link DVI and HDMI are basically the same and can be changed with simple adapters.

DVI-D dual link is only needed for higher resolutions.

Displayport is the new standard and will replace DVI dual link for high.resolutions and multi monitor setups

What most people use is irrelevant. you use whatever digital connection your monitor has

Snookslayer

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Thanks for the response. I'm still perplexed on why anyone would have a DVI-I video card connector and a VGA monitor. Seems like an odd combo. I mean, wouldn't those people be better off connecting to the on-board graphics? What's the point in a high end video card with a VGA connection?

In any case, you're right I do need a "DVI dual link connector" which is what my monitor has. But I'm curious if it's true that MOST gamers (connected to computer monitors rather than HD tv's) are using DVI-D dual link connectors.?. I mean, most monitors have dual link connectors rather than single-link nowadays, don't they?

And is there even such as a thing as a DVI-I to DVI-I cable? What would be bloody point in that?

For people who are new to this stuff, I'm sure you can understand why this is a bit confusing. :(