Nikon D70s and CF cards

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 12, 2005 7:31:08 PM

Having deliberated long and hard, I am about to buy a Nikon D70s. I have
decided to get a 1GB CF card for it. SanDisk has been recommended to me as
one of the best.

Can anyone please tell me if there is any advantage to buying "SanDisk
Extreme III CompactFlash - 1GB" (GBP 81.90 from picstop.co.uk) over simply
getting "SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash Card 1GB" (GBP 63.20). I understand
that the Extreme III have faster read/write speeds, but will the camera take
advantage of this? Are the other features (telephone support??, a nice case)
worth the extra?

Thanks in advance,

Hamish

Please see my other question about the D70s and manual Nikon lenses

Background: I spent nine years working in the photographic retail trade in
the UK (serving amateurs and latterly pros), up to around 11 years ago when
I changed careers. As you can imagine I have owned a variety of bits of kit
over the years, pretty much giving all of it up when I left. Currently I use
a Toshiba 4.2 megapixel compact camera with a Canon lens (bought when 4.2
megapixels was a lot!). I also have a Nikon FE2 I got off Ebay a couple of
years ago because I was missing SLR photography too much. I've always loved
(most) Nikons in general, and FE2s in particular. I've decided to go digital
mainly because developing and printing is expensive, slow and of variable
quality, and because the majority of my pictures end up on the web or being
e-mailed to people anyway. So... it's got to be a Nikon, and the D70s seems
to be the best compromise of 'pro'-like quality, a good feature set and a
reasonable price.

More about : nikon d70s cards

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:31:09 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:31:08 +0000 (UTC), Hamish Walker wrote:

> Can anyone please tell me if there is any advantage to buying "SanDisk
> Extreme III CompactFlash - 1GB" (GBP 81.90 from picstop.co.uk) over
> simply getting "SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash Card 1GB" (GBP 63.20).
> I understand that the Extreme III have faster read/write speeds, but will the
> camera take advantage of this? Are the other features (telephone support??,
> a nice case) worth the extra?

The extra speed probably won't be seen when using the camera but
might give you faster copying times if you have a good card reader
and a USB 2.0 High Speed port on your computer. Note: USB 2.0 Full
Speed operates much slower, like USB 1.1. When I bought a SanDisk
Ultra II CF card the Extreme III cost about $10 more and came with
file recovery software. This software, as well as the potential for
higher speed might tip the scale towards the Extreme III for you,
but it didn't for me. I also assumed that any future camera I buy
that may be able to take advantage of very high speed cards probably
won't use CF.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 7:31:09 PM

uh dudes,

The Extreme III and Ultra II have no speed differences.

Ultra II - http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ultra2-cf.asp

Extreme III - http://www.sandisk.com/retail/ext-cf.asp

to quote the main difference:

· SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash cards are tested in extreme
temperature ranges from -13 to +185 degrees Fahrenheit so that they can
be used to shoot photos in any weather condition

· SanDisk Extreme CompactFlash cards are shock and vibration tested
with industrial-grade RTV included, which is designed for rugged use

That's it. That's why the "extreme" are extreme and more expensive. I
hope I never have to say that agian. That's like the 2nd time in two
days.
August 12, 2005 7:31:09 PM

Damn,

I'm doomed.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 9:36:21 PM

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:31:08 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital "Hamish
Walker" <hamish@nospamhaymee.com> wrote:

>Having deliberated long and hard, I am about to buy a Nikon D70s. I have
>decided to get a 1GB CF card for it. SanDisk has been recommended to me as
>one of the best.
>
>Can anyone please tell me if there is any advantage to buying "SanDisk
>Extreme III CompactFlash - 1GB" (GBP 81.90 from picstop.co.uk) over simply
>getting "SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash Card 1GB" (GBP 63.20). I understand
>that the Extreme III have faster read/write speeds, but will the camera take
>advantage of this? Are the other features (telephone support??, a nice case)
>worth the extra?

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=600...
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
August 12, 2005 9:48:31 PM

On 12 Aug 2005 14:28:46 -0700, wavelength wrote:

> uh dudes,
> . . .
> That's it. That's why the "extreme" are extreme and more expensive. I
> hope I never have to say that agian. That's like the 2nd time in two
> days.

May you have to repeat ever hour on the hour for the rest of your
life. Dood. :)
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 11:32:18 PM

On 12 Aug 2005 15:06:49 -0700, wavelength wrote:

> Damn,
>
> I'm doomed.

It could be a lot worse. At least you aren't trapped in one or
more of the interminably long cross-posted religious/political
threads that frequently find their way into rpd. :)
August 13, 2005 2:23:15 PM

"Hamish Walker" <hamish@nospamhaymee.com> wrote in message
news:D difbs$pk8$1@nwrdmz01.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Having deliberated long and hard, I am about to buy a Nikon D70s. I have
> decided to get a 1GB CF card for it. SanDisk has been recommended to me as
> one of the best.
>
> Can anyone please tell me if there is any advantage to buying "SanDisk
> Extreme III CompactFlash - 1GB" (GBP 81.90 from picstop.co.uk) over simply
> getting "SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash Card 1GB" (GBP 63.20). I
> understand that the Extreme III have faster read/write speeds, but will
> the camera take advantage of this? Are the other features (telephone
> support??, a nice case) worth the extra?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Hamish
>
> Please see my other question about the D70s and manual Nikon lenses
>
> Background: I spent nine years working in the photographic retail trade in
> the UK (serving amateurs and latterly pros), up to around 11 years ago
> when I changed careers. As you can imagine I have owned a variety of bits
> of kit over the years, pretty much giving all of it up when I left.
> Currently I use a Toshiba 4.2 megapixel compact camera with a Canon lens
> (bought when 4.2 megapixels was a lot!). I also have a Nikon FE2 I got off
> Ebay a couple of years ago because I was missing SLR photography too much.
> I've always loved (most) Nikons in general, and FE2s in particular. I've
> decided to go digital mainly because developing and printing is expensive,
> slow and of variable quality, and because the majority of my pictures end
> up on the web or being e-mailed to people anyway. So... it's got to be a
> Nikon, and the D70s seems to be the best compromise of 'pro'-like quality,
> a good feature set and a reasonable price.

Hi.

I have had my D70 since January, and before that I used a Nik FE (not FE2),
with a number of Nikor AI lenses.

I have 3 x 1 Gig CF Cards, 1 Lexar, 1 Kingston and 1 PNY 40x. The price
paid varied between £81 and £49.

There is no noticeable difference, either in taking or in transferring.

Apparently if a 60x ,or faster, card is used, then in Continuous Shooting
Mode the camera will run at its maximum fps rate until the card is full. So
far I have never taken more than 5 or 6 frames on Continuous.

While AI lenses will work. There is no Metering. Guessing Exposure or
using a hand held meter and then checking via the histogram after taking,
will give accurate results, provided you are not in a hurry, and the subject
is not going to move away.

The In Focus indicator will light, but it seems to be very finely set, and
it takes quite a light touch on the focus ring to get it to stay on. The VF
Screen will allow you to get the lens nearly focussed. It is a bit better
than the Type E screen (no split image) was on the FE.

While the 18 to 70 kit lens is excellent, it is not quite as sharp as my
105 - f2.5, but I think that is a real classic Nikkor.

Go ahead, you will not regret the move, but you will be tempted to buy more
AF lenses.

Roy G
!