Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Not Working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 18, 2012 4:18:51 AM

I have a EVGA nVidia 9800 GTX+ card. I've had it for two years now, and have not used it until recently. I have a 500watt PSU @ 80% efficiency. I had to use two sets of molex to 6-pin power adapters because it is a 6 or 7 year old PSU, but again, it was still in the box and plastic wrap until very recently.

When I boot up, the card's fan spins really well, but Windows 7 does not recognize it, it fails to show up in device manager, and there is no video signal coming from the card.

My CPU is actually AMDs new APUs (AMD A8-3800 Llano) chips, with the built-in GPU. In the BIOS the option to disable this GPU is greyed-out.

At first, I thought the card wasn't getting good contact with the PCI pins, because the connector from the cases's "ON" button to the mobo was sitting right underneath the video card, so just maybe the connector wasnt giving enough clearance for the card to settle into the slot. So, I unscrewed the video cards screws, popped off the metal cover (which housed the cooling unit) from the main board, and began to drill, saw, and plier off the entire bottom of the covering to ensure good clearance, then I reassembled -- and still it did not work... Maybe this last bit was unnecessary, but it just goes to show how irritated and frustrated I am in having a once top of the line card just sit in the drawer, getting older and older for years without use. I just want to see what it can do.

More about : graphics card working

a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 4:39:42 AM

I dont think your power supply is providing enough amperage to the card. 500 watts should do it but if its a crappy power supply it won't. What brand is the unit? How many amps does it put out on the +12volt rail?
m
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 4:44:38 AM

The fact that it says its a 500W PSU doesn't mean anything. You need to check the current on the 12V rail. considering how crappy some PSUs are, capacitor aging, and the lack of PCIe connectors it probably doesn't have enough power.

Try a decent PSU if you have one. Honestly considering its so old, would really only deliver mediocre performance, you never tested it when you bought it, and who knows what damage you did with your drill and saw I wouldn't waste anymore time beyond that.
m
l
Related resources
May 18, 2012 5:33:39 AM

unksol said:
The fact that it says its a 500W PSU doesn't mean anything. You need to check the current on the 12V rail. considering how crappy some PSUs are, capacitor aging, and the lack of PCIe connectors it probably doesn't have enough power.

Try a decent PSU if you have one. Honestly considering its so old, would really only deliver mediocre performance, you never tested it when you bought it, and who knows what damage you did with your drill and saw I wouldn't waste anymore time beyond that.

My PSU is still on the manufacturer's website,

http://mail.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath...

which is suprising, considering I bought it around 6 or 7 years ago. It claims "low acoustic noise" but I beg to differ as makes quite a bit of noise, and coupled with that problematic video card, which is a tank of a video card, I don't think I could handle the noise. EVGA actually remodeled that particular card; it is smaller and less bulky.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 5:41:42 AM

Quote:
who knows what damage you did with your drill and saw
. I will never understand taking you power tools to computer hardware. This stuff is manufactured to exact specifications to work within standards that have been developed by the industry. If it doesnt fit, believe me it is you, not the part. I've seen dozens of posts on here where someone hacked off the end of their video card, or the top of their heatsink, or drilled a hole in their cpu socket because the pins didnt fit. Just because you are building your own computer, doesnt mean you have to manufacture the parts too!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 5:47:16 AM

Ya thats a crap power supply unit, it only puts out 28 amps on the +12 volt ( so they claim). A good 500 watt unit would be putting out 34amps, and really be doing it. If the card isnt ruined, then the psu is definately the problem
m
l
May 18, 2012 5:55:06 AM

GI_JONES said:
Quote:
who knows what damage you did with your drill and saw
. I will never understand taking you power tools to computer hardware. This stuff is manufactured to exact specifications to work within standards that have been developed by the industry. If it doesnt fit, believe me it is you, not the part. I've seen dozens of posts on here where someone hacked off the end of their video card, or the top of their heatsink, or drilled a hole in their cpu socket because the pins didnt fit. Just because you are building your own computer, doesnt mean you have to manufacture the parts too!

EVGA definitely did not take into account industry standards when they built that particular model so large. I could not use it with my older computer because the HD slots did not have enough clearance for a third of that card's length, and on my second computer, the mobo could not accommodate it's girth. This is why they remodeled that card, so I simply was trying to correct their mistake. Not everyone has full towers and motherboards to indulge their poorly designed card, a standard which the industry would never adopt. All being said, it was definitely my mistake in purchasing both the card and PSU as the poorly designed and fallacious claims they adopt. I never knew computer component companies were so full of ***. Lesson learned.
m
l
a c 206 U Graphics card
May 18, 2012 5:59:03 AM

it not the video card it your set up. your mb would need to have lucent chip that allows you to have two diffrent video cards or use the new intel video and any other video card. without that chipset you need to use an ati card. if not i would contact the mb vendor and see if there a bios update or a jumper to turn off built in gpu.
m
l
!